The Student Room Group

Muslim parents not letting me marry a white girl

Im half Egyption and half Palestinian. My parents are not strict muslims but they want me to marry someone from my background. Im 22 and i want to get married to this girl, we have been engaged for 4 years now. Her parents are fine with it, i go to her mums house quite often. I argue with my parents everday about it. I know Im older enough to leave but i really want my parents at my wedding.

Scroll to see replies

Quite Islam.
Reply 2
If their reasoning is that she is not Muslim/is white, tell them to STFU, because they clearly are just being backwards and racist
Don't let what other people say get in the way of your happiness. Marry her and if your parents don't approve tell them they'll never see their grandchildren.
Original post by The Dictator
Quite Islam.

Dont you mean quit?
I know that this must be upsetting and, to be honest, I think your parents are being ridiculous and will probably regret this in years to come, but it's your life and you can't appease your parents forever. If you love her, marry her.

Things like this anger me so much, though. My uncle died suddenly in 2013 and my grandmother would've given the world to see him get married. She'll never be able to watch her son marry the woman he loved. Yet your parents won't go to your wedding because the girl you love is white. Awful!
Original post by DeuteriumPie
Dont you mean quit?

Yes.
Original post by The Dictator
Quite Islam.

Not rlly
>parents aren't strict Muslims

Oh you meant quit nvm :L
Reply 8
tell your racist parents to piss off
Original post by EastGuava
Not rlly
>parents aren't strict Muslims

I meant quit.
Convincer her to convert, or convince your parents she will.
Original post by sophicoco

She has but my parents dont believe its genuine.
Reply 12
Well its underatanding for your parents to oppose because shes non Muslim and with islam your only allowed to marry a muslim women your parents only want good for you so just think about it ... also are you a practicing muslim?
Original post by Gladiator123
She has but my parents dont believe its genuine.

Oh no:frown: have they met her properly and are familiar with her?
Won't a marriage potentially fail if couple do not share the same religious beliefs?

If your parents love you, then surly they will be willing to listen to you.
Reply 15
My theory of life is that we were put on this planet to be happy. You don't have to please other people all of the time and if something makes you happy what some people don't like...... So what.
As long as you are not directly hurting anyone else then it's fine. Take your own happiness and your partners happiness into consideration and go for it.
At the end of the day, it should not matter if your love is black, white, purple, yellow dotted or transparent..... Who cares as long as you are both happy? The new generation understands this more than the older so in time this will be a none issue but I do feel your dilemma and hope they come around to sane thinking!!
Reply 16
Original post by sophicoco

I've never understood this whole converting for marriage malarkey.
You can't just choose to push aside the wordview you've built up over a lifetime and take on a whole new set of beliefs and values all of a sudden. It's totally superficial and surely anyone with half a brain would be able to see that?
Reply 17
Original post by RobML
I've never understood this whole converting for marriage malarkey.
You can't just choose to push aside the wordview you've built up over a lifetime and take on a whole new set of beliefs and values all of a sudden. It's totally superficial and surely anyone with half a brain would be able to see that?

Factual^, is it not? I'd be surprised if anyone was to disagree
Reply 18
Original post by TheVth
Factual^, is it not? I'd be surprised if anyone was to disagree

Elaborate?
Reply 19
Original post by RobML
Elaborate?

It amazes me as to how someone can forego their personal beliefs and adopt those of their partner, and 'genuinely' believing them just like *clicks* that. It just doesn't make sense to me :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending