The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Lol how exciting was dolly today, at 3-0 up in the tie break he just fluffed it sigh. federer in straight sets tomorrow.
Glory to the great one.
Original post by Rakas21
Glory to the great one.

no, stop this obsession over federer that many of you have on here. If novak was 100% fit it would be straight sets novak tomorrow. Atm unless novak reheals at superman rate, i dont see how he gets through set after set at the us without faltering to someone. I think feddy might be on for a slam, and he should take it, probably last one the grandpa gets if nadal gets back to 100% too.
I'm still backing Murray at the US, although he was pretty lacklustre against Federer today.
Original post by welcometoib
no, stop this obsession over federer that many of you have on here. If novak was 100% fit it would be straight sets novak tomorrow. Atm unless novak reheals at superman rate, i dont see how he gets through set after set at the us without faltering to someone. I think feddy might be on for a slam, and he should take it, probably last one the grandpa gets if nadal gets back to 100% too.

Nadal won't be 100% again. And Djokovic may still win the final (and overturn his Cincinnati record as he's expected to do)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think Murray is favourite for the US Open if he doesn't land in Federer's half. If Djokovic gets back into form in time for the US Open it's his to lose. Nadal will have had a good tournament if he gets to the semis but again depends on the draw
Federer would have to be taken out by someone else before the final then. Do you think Murray would be able to beat him in the final? I'd like to hope so but it's highly unlikely

Posted from TSR Mobile
The only thing between Federer and Djokovic in their matches are who plays the set and break points better. In Dubai fed was 2/2 conversion but nolé 0/7 and even Wimbledon fed had a set point in the first set and break points in the 3rd. They literally are equal atm it's just recently nole is mentally there on break and set points
Original post by lizzy95
I think Murray is favourite for the US Open if he doesn't land in Federer's half. If Djokovic gets back into form in time for the US Open it's his to lose. Nadal will have had a good tournament if he gets to the semis but again depends on the draw
Murray might make it far, but will inevitably lose to Djokovic, Federer or possibly Wawrinka.
When will Nadal reveal his whole 2015 season has been a prank?
Original post by mrno1324

dont think he will, i think this is the last comeback he attempts, give him 2-3 years more.
Original post by lizzy95

lol and murray beats novak if not in feds half? cmon now. nadal would require more than a miracle to pass quarters, probably wont reach that stage either.
Original post by welcometoib
lol and murray beats novak if not in feds half? cmon now. nadal would require more than a miracle to pass quarters, probably wont reach that stage either.

As I said if Djokovic brings the form that he's shown so far post Wimbledon then Murray can definitely beat him, especially now the mental hurdle is gone. Djokovic is the logical favourite due to his consistency but other than RG the US Open is his worst slam. Nadal will need a nice draw to go far, hence why I said a semi is a good result for him, I didn't say I'm predicting he'll reach the semis but given his form he'll be happy with that
OK Djokovic needs to get his **** together.
Fantastic win by Federer. Great to see.

Federer fans shouldn't read too much into this though in terms of his US Open prospects. The surface is much slower at Flushing Meadows and there have been times before where he has played great at Cincinnati but turned up flat the USO. He has the no. 2 spot now but that's as far as it goes in terms of any advantage coming into to the USO. Djokovic still the firm favourite in my eyes.
, straight sets as expected, if novak is 100% next week he wins us open.
Djokovic can stay the firm favourite for the US Open, but I think he'll miss out once again. Murray looks like a decent bet. Federer played very well today, but translating this form to a best of 5 on a slightly slower surface in New York will be difficult at his age.
Djokovic hasn't played well during the North American summer hard court season since 2011. He hasn't won anything since the Rogers Cup in 2012, a tournament that Fed, Murray and Nadal didn't play. Looks like he doesn't have much left in the tank for this part of the season anymore.
Delighted to see Fed win another masters by beating Murray and Novak back to back. It doesn't say much about his US Open chances but I don't care. I'm just happy that he has won this tournament again. His game with the bigger racquet is perfect for fast HCs. Just a shame that there are so few of them around these days.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mrno1324

Nadal is finished. Defensive players like him struggle a lot once they lose their physical edge. So unless he completely revamps his game (very difficult to do) and becomes an aggressive baseliner, he will keep going downhill from here.

Quick Reply

Latest