The Student Room Group

What Are A-Levels Going To Be Like For Me?

Hi,

So, I registered for sixth form two days ago. I only got my results the same day due to being away. I wanted to take five A-Levels but the school warned me against it, so I decided to settle with four after much consideration (dropping biology from my proposed repertoire). Anyway, here's my situation.

For my GCSEs, I got 3 A*s in English language, maths and physics, 7 As in further maths, English literature, history, IT, DT, chemistry and biology, and 2Bs in RE and French (I was aiming for an F in RE but alas, I got a B).

For A-Level, I'm now taking physics, chemistry, maths and further maths.

I did absolutely NO revision for GCSE. I know people say that, but I'm being deadly serious- I outright refused to revise to prove a point to my teachers, and for the most part, it worked. I was only 2 marks off an A* in further maths, unfortunately, but still, it went pretty well, considering.

How do you think I will cope in sixth form? Is it going to be a big difference?
Yeah and no, if you have a natural apt for these subject then yeah there is an elememt of blagging but only if you can keep up with the work in the term time, if you can do all the work set to you in lessons and understand well all the consepts then the exams can kind of be done with less revision then techicaly advised however if you do get stuck anywhere in the lessons then youll have to either do some work on it then or will have to revise it well to stand a chance of doing it in the exam :smile: in my personal experience though a-level is more interesting than gcse so you end up kind of not hating the revision so much :smile: What do you want to do after a-levels though? Just wondered cos i toke pretty much the same subjects and now doing physics degree :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Amber May
Yeah and no, if you have a natural apt for these subject then yeah there is an elememt of blagging but only if you can keep up with the work in the term time, if you can do all the work set to you in lessons and understand well all the consepts then the exams can kind of be done with less revision then techicaly advised however if you do get stuck anywhere in the lessons then youll have to either do some work on it then or will have to revise it well to stand a chance of doing it in the exam :smile: in my personal experience though a-level is more interesting than gcse so you end up kind of not hating the revision so much :smile: What do you want to do after a-levels though? Just wondered cos i toke pretty much the same subjects and now doing physics degree :biggrin:

Thanks for the info :smile: After sixth form I'm planning on going down to Oxford to do my ATPL (pilot's licence) so I can become an airline pilot. After that I want to go back and go through the theoretical physics route upto Ph.D. level.

Quick Reply

Latest