The Student Room Group

Boyfriend's Dad made a comment

I've been with my boyfriend just over six months.

Everything is going well,and I've met his parents a few times as I stay over at his. However, yesterday my boyfriend was telling me that his Dad was at a family friend's BBQ and was telling them about me i.e in the context that his son had a girlfriend.

Apparently, someone asked what I was like and he made a gesture to indicate I have a big bum and big boobs (not in an insulting way). My boyfriend wasn't there but one of his friends who was told him.

I think my boyfriend finds it amusing but I do find it a bit odd that his Dad would make a reference to his son's girlfriend's boobs and bum. I'm not particularly bothered or offended but I'm wondering whether I'm right in thinking it's a bit unusual. Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous

Everything is going well,and I've met his parents a few times as I stay over at his. However, yesterday my boyfriend was telling me that his Dad was at a family friend's BBQ and was telling them about me i.e in the context that his son had a girlfriend.

Apparently, someone asked what I was like and he made a gesture to indicate I have a big bum and big boobs (not in an insulting way). My boyfriend wasn't there but one of his friends who was told him.

I think my boyfriend finds it amusing but I do find it a bit odd that his Dad would make a reference to his son's girlfriend's boobs and bum. I'm not particularly bothered or offended but I'm wondering whether I'm right in thinking it's a bit unusual. Thoughts?

How old are you?
Reply 2
Original post by mrno1324
How old are you?

I'm 21
I'm 21

It's alright. His dad isn't the classiest guy, but harmless.
You're a young lady in this bloke's life with (what sounds like) curves in places he finds appropriate.

I think he approves of his son's choice, maybe? I mean what parent wouldn't approve of their child being in a relationship with an attractive person? :tongue:
Why wouldn't he? if you do indeed have these features then this will probably be the first things a guy notices when he looks at you and therefore quite a valid thing to respond with if asked what are you like.

That's very weird in my opinion, I'd be bothered because it's your boyfriends dad and I'd be offended because he's just objectified you, since a person asked him what your like and when people ask someone what a certain someone is like they're generally asking about personality which is what people generally answer with! That's disrespect and outright rude. He wouldn't do anything like that in front of you I'm guessing so why did he do It behind your back? If he did it would probably be so uncomfortable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah not incredibly classy, but just try to forget about it.

However if it becomes a trend, that would be slightly worrying.
Original post by Danno190
You're a young lady in this bloke's life with (what sounds like) curves in places he finds appropriate.

I think he approves of his son's choice, maybe? I mean what parent wouldn't approve of their child being in a relationship with an attractive person? :tongue:

Either that, or he meant you're "woman shaped" i.e. he didn't know how else to describe you.
Reply 9
Strange that he would describe you in that way. Could he not find anything other to say about you :K: much disrespect :console:
That's pretty off limits. I would, however, suggest you just forget about it nonetheless unless it becomes a repetitive thing or the dad makes you feel strange in any other way.
It's just banter...
he probably jacks off over you so don;t leave any knickers round there or wear revealing clothes around him
Sounds a bit odd but I guess he was just appreciating you.
smh don't want people to notice foh cut em off them girl and throw em in the trash his daddy obviously approves of ya
It's weird but I wouldn't make too much of it unless he starts making the comments on a regular basis.
Just ignore the bonding trip offers.
Original post by The.Alchemist
That's very weird in my opinion, I'd be bothered because it's your boyfriends dad and I'd be offended because he's just objectified you, since a person asked him what your like and when people ask someone what a certain someone is like they're generally asking about personality which is what people generally answer with! That's disrespect and outright rude. He wouldn't do anything like that in front of you I'm guessing so why did he do It behind your back? If he did it would probably be so uncomfortable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow, I bet you're fun at parties.
Reply 18
Pretty icky for you to hear about, but not unusual. You're obviously an attractive girl - if his son finds you attractive he probably will. Feelings don't go away just because people get old. As people have said, just tasteless to indicate it in public.

If he does it when you're around, or all the time, it's weird, but otherwise I really wouldn't worry - people say things all the time to impress their friends, and it doesn't mean he's not simultaneously capable of seeing you as a human being. I'm sure if he knew you knew he would be extremely apologetic.

I'd have to see them to know.

I'm kidding of course, I don't mean to overstep my mark :colondollar: I do think you're right to find his reference quite unusual, *I'd suggest pretending to be flattered but avoiding his company individually in the future. If I were you I'd certainly feel a bit uneasy about it, so how do you feel about *this advice? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending