The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exams

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ollie262
same here Im quite shy too. Honestly I don't know. If I want to go to LAE I need to go complete my enrolment tomorrow. I feel at a disadvantage not having gone to the open or taster days. Im leaning more towards LAE purely because its been there longer and I've seen their good results but weirdly in the short time I was at Westminster I felt I preferred the environment. I think I'll be up all night contemplating :frown: what subjects were you looking to do ?

Oh and don't worry about being at a disadvantage, so am I. I didn't go to any of the open days, events or inductions. So I'm in the same position as you are, I won't have met anybody before hand. My knowledge of the school and it's systems are also limited. I'm willing to give it a chance though. :smile:
Original post by aish98xo
I didn't go to any of the open days, events or inductions.

Hey, join the club :five:

I'm in the same boat as you in relation to the further maths. I'm getting my exam re-marked, but afraid that even if I were to be bumped up a grade, the school won't be able to accommodate the changes to my subject choices because of the late notice. If that's the case, I'll probably have to study and learn the course independently and take the exams externally. I'm worried 5 A levels will be too much, especially considering 3 of my subjects are 'hard' subjects, so I'm hoping that Harris's maths teacher can help me out by giving me homework and by allowing me to join in on revision sessions.

Oh well, I'm just really happy that I've been admitted to the school. I really like the notion of it being a "free version of Westminster School" -- there's no way my parents could afford paying £40k a year for my education lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
Hey, join the club :five:

I'm in the same boat as you in relation to the further maths. I'm getting my exam re-marked, but afraid that even if I were to be bumped up a grade, the school won't be able to accommodate the changes to my subject choices because of the late notice. If that's the case, I'll probably have to study and learn the course independently and take the exams externally. I'm worried 5 A levels will be too much, especially considering 3 of my subjects are 'hard' subjects, so I'm hoping that Harris's maths teacher can help me out by giving me homework and by allowing me to join in on revision sessions.

Oh well, I'm just really happy that I've been admitted to the school. I really like the notion of it being a "free version of Westminster School" -- there's no way my parents could afford paying £40k a year for my education lol

Yay! I'm so glad I've found someone in the same situation as me. Even if my paper was re-marked it's probably stay at a high A grade and I even took further maths GCSE which didn't help make my case at all. I'm also worried about taking 5 A-levels and sitting exams externally. However, it's good we've found each other, maybe we could help each other out. We could ask the Harris teachers for as much help as we can get and also help each other out with studying the further maths course. It's worth a go, we shouldn't give up! We might be able to help each other and sway the decision of the school.

I'm happy to be going to the school too. Although, I'm a little bit shy. There's no way my parents could pay 40K A year for an education, such as the one given at Westminster school. So I'm lucky to have gotten a place. :smile:

If you want, you can PM and we can discuss possible further maths options? If we do end up studying it independently, it wouldn't be a bad idea to join forces and study it together! What other subjects are you taking? :smile:
Oh and don't worry about being at a disadvantage, so am I. I didn't go to any of the open days, events or inductions. So I'm in the same position as you are, I won't have met anybody before hand. My knowledge of the school and it's systems are also limited. I'm willing to give it a chance though. :smile:

lol im doing maths economics geography(didn't do it for gcse) and Spanish. Your right it is about how hard I work im just really bad at making decisions haha. By the way when did you start looking at harris westminister ?
lol im doing maths economics geography(didn't do it for gcse) and Spanish. Your right it is about how hard I work im just really bad at making decisions haha. By the way when did you start looking at harris westminister ?

Wow, there's a chance you'd be in 3 of my classes (maths, economics and geography). I think you'll be fine wherever you go, but it'd be nice to kind of know someone at Westminster before turning up on the first day. The funny thing is, I heard about Harris Westminster in June (from a friend). I immediately dismissed it as not being the school for me, as I didn't know much about it. Then, on results day, my friend missed his offer but recommended I try a late application. So the next day I ended up at Harris Westminster, I didn't expect to get a place or enroll. :smile: What about you?
Wow, there's a chance you'd be in 3 of my classes (maths, economics and geography). I think you'll be fine wherever you go, but it'd be nice to kind of know someone at Westminster before turning up on the first day. The funny thing is, I heard about Harris Westminster in June (from a friend). I immediately dismissed it as not being the school for me, as I didn't know much about it. Then, on results day, my friend missed his offer but recommended I try a late application. So the next day I ended up at Harris Westminster, I didn't expect to get a place or enroll. :smile: What about you?

haha. I was literally looking at loads of sixth forms then saw it on tsr like in march when applications were closed. I did a late application then got an email a month later saying I was on the waiting list. I forgot about it completely until I got an email on Thursday night asking me to come on the Friday. I was set on LAE before that point cos it had these partnerships with private schools and stuff. On Friday the head teacher looked at my results and just offered me a place. At first I though people there would be snobbish but it seemed good that's why I'm so indecisive. Is there any reason for you why this one stands out compared to your other 2 options (which seem pretty good too )
haha. I was literally looking at loads of sixth forms then saw it on tsr like in march when applications were closed. I did a late application then got an email a month later saying I was on the waiting list. I forgot about it completely until I got an email on Thursday night asking me to come on the Friday. I was set on LAE before that point cos it had these partnerships with private schools and stuff. On Friday the head teacher looked at my results and just offered me a place. At first I though people there would be snobbish but it seemed good that's why I'm so indecisive. Is there any reason for you why this one stands out compared to your other 2 options (which seem pretty good too )

When I got made my offer I was shocked, it was totally unexpected!!! I think for me Harris Westminster stands out because of what it has to offer. 75% of the teachers have degrees/ masters and PhDs from Oxbridge or other Russell Groups. So it's most likely they'll be experts in their subjects. Also, the link with Westminster School is invaluable, especially if we have to compete with their students for uni places. Another perk of Harris Westminster is location. I think there is something so inspiring about being around the corner from Westminster Abbey and Parliamant Sqaure. Lastly, just imagine the other students - such as yourself - that we're going to be studying with. We'll be amongst like minded people, who want to do well, and HWSF is the most selective state school in the country and we got in. That says something right there, they don't just take anyone. :smile:
When I got made my offer I was shocked, it was totally unexpected!!! I think for me Harris Westminster stands out because of what it has to offer. 75% of the teachers have degrees/ masters and PhDs from Oxbridge or other Russell Groups. So it's most likely they'll be experts in their subjects. Also, the link with Westminster School is invaluable, especially if we have to compete with their students for uni places. Another perk of Harris Westminster is location. I think there is something so inspiring about being around the corner from Westminster Abbey and Parliamant Sqaure. Lastly, just imagine the other students - such as yourself - that we're going to be studying with. We'll be amongst like minded people, who want to do well, and HWSF is the most selective state school in the country and we got in. That says something right there, they don't just take anyone. :smile:

Yeah that's another thing drawing me to harris! The location seems so cool. I was a bit surprised when I saw the timetable in the pack and we have lessons on Saturday (oh well). How far is it from you? Do you need to take tube to get there as well? Yeah when I researched LAE people generally say its good. My dilemma is LAE: has the good results so good track record, Is also in partnership with 8 private schools (Eton, forest etc), and seems like the more reliable option seeing as ive been there. Harris: I like the environment and building seems nicer. Is also very selective. I feel like there would be a wider range of people there. Something makes me want to believe in it and for some reason I think I'll be comfortable there. haha yeah were so lucky to have gotten in I feel like im taking the opportunity for granted xD
Yeah that's another thing drawing me to harris! The location seems so cool. I was a bit surprised when I saw the timetable in the pack and we have lessons on Saturday (oh well). How far is it from you? Do you need to take tube to get there as well? Yeah when I researched LAE people generally say its good. My dilemma is LAE: has the good results so good track record, Is also in partnership with 8 private schools (Eton, forest etc), and seems like the more reliable option seeing as ive been there. Harris: I like the environment and building seems nicer. Is also very selective. I feel like there would be a wider range of people there. Something makes me want to believe in it and for some reason I think I'll be comfortable there. haha yeah were so lucky to have gotten in I feel like im taking the opportunity for granted xD

Travelling there for me isn't a problem, I have to get the train to Victoria and then I have the option of walking or taking the tube. LAE seems like an amazing opportunity, but so is this! From what I've heard, students from LAE and the private schools don't see much of each other where as we'd be in frequent contact with the Westminster kids. Therefore, we'd probably work harder as we're aware of the competition and what is going on in a top private school. I don't think you should dismiss Harris Westminster, ultimately we're in the first two year groups of the school. So, as students, we're going to help establish the school statistically and give it the foot hold it needs to compete with other schools, plus help it gain more high achieving students. You never know we could be students that put Harris Westminster up there as the sixth form to be at, for state school kids. Ultimately it's up to you, but if you feel like coming to Harris don't fight it. If you really regret any of your decisions, there is always time in the first two weeks to transfer. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

This, so much. To be able to travel all the way to Westminster each day, studying for A-levels in a building just a stone-throw away from Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace. That alone will motivate me enough to focus. It's almost as if I'd be afraid to let down the city and the legacy it commends.

The well-educated teachers is also pretty awesome. James Handscombe actually went to both Oxford and Harvard to study maths, which I found really cool.

Also, regarding the further maths coalition: I'd love to! It's going to be hard, studying for a difficult A-level independently, but if there's one thing I've learned from my countless hours browsing this forum, it's that anyone can get A*s in their subjects. It just takes hard work, as cliché as that sounds.

Oh, and I'm doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics :biggrin:
This, so much. To be able to travel all the way to Westminster each day, studying for A-levels in a building just a stone-throw away from Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace. That alone will motivate me enough to focus. It's almost as if I'd be afraid to let down the city and the legacy it commends.

The well-educated teachers is also pretty awesome. James Handscombe actually went to both Oxford and Harvard to study maths, which I found really cool.

Also, regarding the further maths coalition: I'd love to! It's going to be hard, studying for a difficult A-level independently, but if there's one thing I've learned from my countless hours browsing this forum, it's that anyone can get A*s in their subjects. It just takes hard work, as cliché as that sounds.

Oh, and I'm doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics :biggrin:

I'm so glad that I found you on this forum, lol. :smile: I think location will definitely be a motivating factor for many of the students. In terms of teachers, I really don't think they could come anymore inspiring than Mr Handscombe.

I definitely think we could help each other with further maths, I'm determined enough and so are you. I think we could definitely help each other get top grades, especially if we dedicate enough time and effort to it! :smile: Also, your options are so similar to what I wanted to study. Initially I wanted to study Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I didn't make the grade for further maths, as you already know. :smile: however, with chemistry I thought better of it and changed my mind. This is mainly because I want to go into finance or banking when I'm older, so economics will be more beneficial. :smile: we might be in the same classes for maths, physics and economics at least!!! :smile:
I'm so glad that I found you on this forum, lol. :smile: I think location will definitely be a motivating factor for many of the students. In terms of teachers, I really don't think they could come anymore inspiring than Mr Handscombe.

I definitely think we could help each other with further maths, I'm determined enough and so are you. I think we could definitely help each other get top grades, especially if we dedicate enough time and effort to it! :smile: Also, your options are so similar to what I wanted to study. Initially I wanted to study Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I didn't make the grade for further maths, as you already know. :smile: however, with chemistry I thought better of it and changed my mind. This is mainly because I want to go into finance or banking when I'm older, so economics will be more beneficial. :smile: we might be in the same classes for maths, physics and economics at least!!! :smile:

Me too :h:
I've send you a PM regarding the further maths stuff. Is it crazy that I'm actually really looking forward to this 5th A-level now? :biggrin:
Me too :h:
I've send you a PM regarding the further maths stuff. Is it crazy that I'm actually really looking forward to this 5th A-level now? :biggrin:

No not at all, I'm really looking forward to it as well! It should be good for us, and hopefully we can achieve something amazing and enrich our knowledge of maths. :smile:
Travelling their for me isn't a problem, I have to get the train to Victoria and then I have the option of walking or taking the tube. LAE seems like an amazing opportunity, but so is this! From what I've heard, students from LAE and the private schools don't see much of each other where as we'd be in frequent contact with the Westminster kids. Therefore, we'd probably work harder as we're aware of the competition and what is going on in a top private school. I don't think you should dismiss Harris Westminster, ultimately we're in the first two year groups of the school. So, as students, we're going to help establish the school statistically and give it the foot hold it needs to compete with other schools, plus help it gain more high achieving students. You never know we could be students that put Harris Westminster up there as the sixth form to be at, for state school kids. Ultimately it's up to you, but if you feel like coming to Harris don't fight it. If you really regret any of your decisions, there is always time in the first two weeks to transfer. :smile:

Lol thanks btw I only made a tsr account to ask my question but you've helped loads. I feel like im going mad cos the track record and evidence suggests I should just be safe and go LAE but I think I wanna go Harris (which is awkward cos my family want me to go LAE). Unfortunately im nowhere near talented enough to join the further maths squad haha but I hope you guys go ahead with it and do well :smile:
Lol thanks btw I only made a tsr account to ask my question but you've helped loads. I feel like im going mad cos the track record and evidence suggests I should just be safe and go LAE but I think I wanna go Harris (which is awkward cos my family want me to go LAE). Unfortunately im nowhere near talented enough to join the further maths squad haha but I hope you guys go ahead with it and do well :smile:

Aww well I really hope to see you at Harris, If that's where you decide to come. :smile: just remember, LAE only has a good track record because students like us gave it a chance when it was new. I think you must be pretty damn talented to get into the schools you have, and to be doing the subjects you're taking. Thank you, I hope everything works out for you. See you in September maybe. :smile: oh and feel free to PM if there's anything else you feel you need to discuss! :smile:
Got in today for HWSF! See you guys in September!
Original post by xXxSharkxXx

See you in September! :smile:
Original post by Braidednightmare
Hey, anyone thinking about going on the Iceland trip?

Because I'm kinda interested.

Same here
Original post by xXxSharkxXx

Ha! I knew that you should've applied! I'lll see you in September :biggrin:
I read online some HWSF students were able to study at Westminster School, does anyone know why? Do you think this year some students will be offered the opportunity? If yes, who? Only curious :smile: Exited to meet you all in September :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest