The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge based on these grades?

So, I didn't do that well at GCSE but did better at AS. I'm not expecting to get into either but I feel like if I don't at least give it a shot I have 0%, so yeah ^^

GCSE: 2A*, 3A, 2B, 3C, 1D
AS: ABBB
A2 Prediction: A*AA

Now yeah, I know my grades are super low by their standards and I don't really stand a chance, but I wanna know which one I have a better chance of getting into! I want to do any of History, Ancient History or Classics (Oxford does an Ancient and Modern History course, while Cambridge has History and Classics as separate courses).

Bearing in mind as well that if I apply to Oxford I'll have to sit the aptitude test, but I'm very confident I can do fine there, as well as the interview. Cambridge also has low competitiveness for Classics I hear (1 in every 2 applicants gets in?)

Any advice would be really helpful as I have to apply really soon for the HAT for Oxford and finish my statement early :smile:
You have a better chance at Oxford
Original post by Error404OLE
You have a better chance at Oxford

How come? I'm glad to hear it (always preferred Oxford :P) but I heard it was way more competitive if your GCSEs weren't particularly good!
Original post by SkyRees
How come? I'm glad to hear it (always preferred Oxford :P) but I heard it was way more competitive if your GCSEs weren't particularly good!

I will provide you with a link to the Oxford University website which will help hopefully answer your question regarding GCSE requirements.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements.
I think Oxbridge might be a tad optimistic, but I reckon you could definitely get into a top Russell Group with those grades.
I will provide you with a link to the Oxford University website which will help hopefully answer your question regarding GCSE requirements.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements.

Very helpful, thank you. I do have one query though;
I suffered from quite severe depression and anxiety disorders for most of my GCSEs but was not diagnosed or in any way officially accredited for it. That obviously impacted me as a debilitating illness/circumstance, but because I have no medical notes on it would I be considered for it still?
Original post by MagicJigsaw
I think Oxbridge might be a tad optimistic, but I reckon you could definitely get into a top Russell Group with those grades.

It likely is, and I'm not kidding myself I stand a good chance; but applying at the least means I have better than a 0% chance!

I'm applying for UCL and KCL as well, although I'm not any more certain I stand a good chance there either haha.
Original post by SkyRees
I suffered from quite severe depression and anxiety disorders for most of my GCSEs but was not diagnosed or in any way officially accredited for it. That obviously impacted me as a debilitating illness/circumstance, but because I have no medical notes on it would I be considered for it still?

No idea dude sorry. I would contact admission and ask them.
No idea dude sorry. I would contact admission and ask them.

Nah, that's cool man. Thanks for the help!
Original post by SkyRees
So, I didn't do that well at GCSE but did better at AS. I'm not expecting to get into either but I feel like if I don't at least give it a shot I have 0%, so yeah ^^

GCSE: 2A*, 3A, 2B, 3C, 1D
AS: ABBB
A2 Prediction: A*AA

Now yeah, I know my grades are super low by their standards and I don't really stand a chance, but I wanna know which one I have a better chance of getting into! I want to do any of History, Ancient History or Classics (Oxford does an Ancient and Modern History course, while Cambridge has History and Classics as separate courses).

Bearing in mind as well that if I apply to Oxford I'll have to sit the aptitude test, but I'm very confident I can do fine there, as well as the interview. Cambridge also has low competitiveness for Classics I hear (1 in every 2 applicants gets in?)

Any advice would be really helpful as I have to apply really soon for the HAT for Oxford and finish my statement early :smile:

Cambridge would expect c.87% minimum UMS across your best three subjects to give you an interview. You can ask on the thread below, but I think his answer is likely to be "I'm sorry not be more encouraging but..."

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3517571

Original post by SkyRees

I think it very unlikely.
Oxford, as Cambridge can be a pain about UMS mark averages at AS. Are you applying pre or post-A2 Level?
If I'm honest though, applying for a very good Russell group you will be more likely to get a place, and there is very little between the top universities now anyway!
Original post by ageshallnot
Cambridge would expect c.87% minimum UMS across your best three subjects to give you an interview. You can ask on the thread below, but I think his answer is likely to be "I'm sorry not be more encouraging but..."

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3517571

I think it very unlikely.

87% for AS, or overall A Level?
And I'll give him a try, thank you.
Original post by SkyRees
87% for AS, or overall A Level?
And I'll give him a try, thank you.

If you apply post AS then that is all they have to go on. If post A2, then both.

I just saw your post there. I suspect he might ask for your UMS at AS before giving a full answer, but ABBB is below the norm for Cambridge applicants.
If you apply post AS then that is all they have to go on. If post A2, then both.

I just saw your post there. I suspect he might ask for your UMS at AS before giving a full answer, but ABBB is below the norm for Cambridge applicants.

I'm not familiar with how to calculate UMS percentages; I have my sheet here and I know what the exams were out of, but I don't know anything.

And aye, I thought as much. Classics, however, is not a particularly competitive course I hear...
I'd say apply post A2 if you meet your predicted grades anyway
Original post by SkyRees
I'm not familiar with how to calculate UMS percentages; I have my sheet here and I know what the exams were out of, but I don't know anything.

And aye, I thought as much. Classics, however, is not a particularly competitive course I hear...

Good job you aren't applying for Maths!!! :smile: PM me all the figures and I will see if I can work them out.

Your point about Classics is true.
Good job you aren't applying for Maths!!! :smile: PM me all the figures and I will see if I can work them out.

Your point about Classics is true.

Hahaha, true! Not good with numbers particularly. :colondollar:
And hm, with that in mind I wonder if it's worth applying for that because of low application rates (and that I love the classical world, just never gone anywhere that let me do qualifications in it.)

I wonder though if I will know that I've been rejected from Oxbridge before the closing date for other courses so I can switch over to History if I know I won't be accepted by Oxbridge...
Original post by yelllowribbon
I'd say apply post A2 if you meet your predicted grades anyway

T'is a good idea, although I'm hoping to apply this year if I can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending