The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChrissyLythgoe
Hello!! I am on the six year course but it's with a preliminary year, I think thats the same thing :smile:

Hey I'm on the preliminary year too :biggrin: see you in September!!
Reply 7441
How come most people seem to be moving in on the 19th September... My only option was the 20th!!! Is it an even split when people move or did I miss something?? For Liverpool

Also is there any record of the accommodation that you have accepted and the time you chose to collect keys?
I went on Liverpool life and it says I have no applications on my accommodation and I just wanted to know whether this is normal basically

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 0802
How come most people seem to be moving in on the 19th September... My only option was the 20th!!! Is it an even split when people move or did I miss something?? For Liverpool

Also is there any record of the accommodation that you have accepted and the time you chose to collect keys?
I went on Liverpool life and it says I have no applications on my accommodation and I just wanted to know whether this is normal basically

Posted from TSR Mobile

They split moving in across the two days so not everyone is trying to move in at once.
Not sure about the second question you've asked, give accommodation a ring if you are worried

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7443
Original post by Lizziefickling
They split moving in across the two days so not everyone is trying to move in at once.
Not sure about the second question you've asked, give accommodation a ring if you are worried

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thank you sorry about all the questions!!! Also do we need a stethoscope??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by suofei
In October a list of farmers wanting help with lambing will be put on the NSA website, so it's probably easiest to check there. The farmer will specify on the list whether they want someone with experience or not - most don't mind :smile:

Yes, definitely look on the website. I cold called a farmer which was a little difficult and awkward initially, went in the spring and am going again this Easter. I stayed in the farm house because the farm was fairly remote, which meant that I could assist late into the evening. It was by far the best placement that I have done. The farmer was aware that I did not have any experience with farm animals but was more than happy to have me stay when I explained that I wanted to go to do vet medicine. Often, it seems that farmers are used to having students on ems placements and so they are incredibly supportive.
Original post by 0802
Ok thank you sorry about all the questions!!! Also do we need a stethoscope??

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't NEED one, but it can be useful on clinical ems placements, but that's the only time you will use one until you get to 4th/5th year and it's better to get a littmann one, not a cheap one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7446
Hey guys, just hoping someone could be of some help. I'm about to start vet school in September (Bristol) & was just wondering what any of you would recommend looking over before going? I know they're going to have to get us all up to speed with each other etc but it just feels like ages since I've looked at anything extremely vetty... Since my interviews tbh!

Would you recommend just keeping up to date with vet news?

- Abbie

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DrWoof
Hey guys, just hoping someone could be of some help. I'm about to start vet school in September (Bristol) & was just wondering what any of you would recommend looking over before going? I know they're going to have to get us all up to speed with each other etc but it just feels like ages since I've looked at anything extremely vetty... Since my interviews tbh!

Would you recommend just keeping up to date with vet news?

- Abbie

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need to look over anything, seriously, enjoy the time you have left to relax, you'll miss it once you start vet school and the stuff you learn in the first semester won't be stuff you can do prior reading on/won't be anything to do with stuff in the vet news/current issues.

Make the most of the time you have left to do fun stuff, otherwise you'll burn out too quickly once you start!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7448
Hey so guys going to RVC, what date are you moving into your accommodation? Freshers starts on the 27th so I was just planning on moving in that weekend but people on the offers group are moving in on like the 13th!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sax123
Hey so guys going to RVC, what date are you moving into your accommodation? Freshers starts on the 27th so I was just planning on moving in that weekend but people on the offers group are moving in on like the 13th!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm planning on moving as early as possible, but they still haven't got back to me with my room etc :s-smilie:
Reply 7450
You don't need to look over anything, seriously, enjoy the time you have left to relax, you'll miss it once you start vet school and the stuff you learn in the first semester won't be stuff you can do prior reading on/won't be anything to do with stuff in the vet news/current issues.

Make the most of the time you have left to do fun stuff, otherwise you'll burn out too quickly once you start!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome, thank you for the heads up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

This this and this again

You'll be doing an awful lot of studying at vet school, time to chill out!
Reply 7452
Original post by Sax123

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, got the same issue, don't even know when to plan to move in as i don't know exactly when freshers starts and when the move in dates actually are, so no idea! Hope they let us know soon whats going on :smile:
Original post by 96s
Hey, got the same issue, don't even know when to plan to move in as i don't know exactly when freshers starts and when the move in dates actually are, so no idea! Hope they let us know soon whats going on :smile:

Hi I am starting RVC in September and staying in college Grove. I contacted them last week and was told I can move in on either Friday 25th September or Saturday 26th September. I thought this was a bit late and we start on the Monday bit they said that's the way they are doing it this year.

I am off abroad now for my last few weeks before we start our studies, so looking forward to it, good luck to all and hope my post helped. If not just call them they was really helpful.

Thanks
Hi guys
Would anyone be able to reccomend any particular books or a wesbite where i could get up to date vet information like whats going on in the news concerning vets etc
Thanks as i am wanting to apply this year!
Original post by Sanaa SurnamE
Hi guys
Would anyone be able to reccomend any particular books or a wesbite where i could get up to date vet information like whats going on in the news concerning vets etc
Thanks as i am wanting to apply this year!

Have a look at the resources thread stickied at the top of the forum! Loads of vetty news websites on there along with some vet blogs :h:

Best of luck with your application :smile:
Hello! Anyone else unable to get the TB vaccine locally? I've heard there is a national shortage but hopefully we'll be able to get it at uni? :-)
Original post by SophiE-13
Hello! Anyone else unable to get the TB vaccine locally? I've heard there is a national shortage but hopefully we'll be able to get it at uni? :-)

I can't get it either. Went to get my Men C one yesterday and when I booked it the receptionist told me I could get BCG at the same time. When I got there they didn't have it, and I was told that the places that do it want £150!? :eek: When I got home I couldn't even find anywhere that will do it so...

Yeah yeah yeah I know vaccines cost money and that you can't put a price on your health and yadda yadda yadda, but even if I could find a place to do it, I don't have £150 to throw away like that :s-smilie: I'm hoping that universities will be able to help with sorting it.
I am pretty sure it's £150 at uni too, unfortunately. I contacted the uni and they said its £108 for a blood test and then £42 for the actual tb vaccine. :-(
I agree with you abiut the money situation!
Is anyone else here starting at Surrey next month?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending