The Student Room Group

Hated my time at university

Anyone else? I graduated this year and I hate the university I went to. I got a first in the end but whenever I look at it on my CV I only feel regret. It feels like such a waste. Even the graduation ceremony was an unorganised shambles. Please tell me I'm not alone in this. I'm thinking of doing a masters because I do enjoy learning, but I want to gain some of the university experience which I never had.
Reply 1
Original post by hell0world
Anyone else? I graduated this year and I hate the university I went to. I got a first in the end but whenever I look at it on my CV I only feel regret. It feels like such a waste. Even the graduation ceremony was an unorganised shambles. Please tell me I'm not alone in this. I'm thinking of doing a masters because I do enjoy learning, but I want to gain some of the university experience which I never had.

Yeah Ive thought that many times. I'm on placement now, but I've made it through two years of uni without any friends or any fun 'uni' experiences. I think the idea that uni is meant to be an amazing party is constantly perpetuated, but it's not true in every case. Life begins after university, and there is plenty of opportunities to make up for 'lost' time if that's what you want to do. Congrats on the amazing degree result.
Nope. There must be something you enjoyed - even if it was just getting top grades.
Maybe you can find comfort in the fact that those will help your employability, no matter how bad the uni is.
Original post by ldsbabe
I've made it through two years of uni without any friends or any fun 'uni' experiences.

I don't think she/he is talking about the social aspect of university.
Reply 4
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
I don't think she/he is talking about the social aspect of university.

Ahhh yes. Even still, I can relate. I go to Salford so I know all about crap uni experience and terrible organisation. One of my biggest regrets is going to a place that doesnt really care about student experience but theres no point crying over spilled milk.
Which uni did you go to?
Original post by ldsbabe
Ahhh yes. Even still, I can relate. I go to Salford so I know all about crap uni experience and terrible organisation. One of my biggest regrets is going to a place that doesnt really care about student experience but theres no point crying over spilled milk.

I can relate to you except I'm going to my 2nd yr.I didn't have that uni experience in 1st year ,only went out in freshers & spent the whole year without friends ,mainly because I don't click with anyone on my course.They tend to group themselves ,we are two different people.At first I tried so hard & stuck with people who didn't attend lectures ,seminars ,wouldn't revise then spent the day before the exam crying how they left it too late ,how they don't care and will resit .That wasn't me at all I decided it was best to pull away & continue doing what I did.I'd rather be alone than be around people like that.
I find my uni quite disorganised as well & my goal for this year is to work consistently ,volunteer ,work a part time job & if I can fit in one sports society.
Also like you I hope to do a post grad at a specific university & a first is really what I'm aiming for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Uni is like any other experience in life - some will love it, some will hate it, some won't be bothered either way. Unis that don't work for you will be fine for others. If it helps, I've been to Oxbridge, an RG and an ex-poly and all of them were bad at some aspect. My Masters graduation at the RG was a fiasco. I tend to think the experience is oversold - yes it has the potential to be a good time, but it won't necessarily be and it's not a failure if all you get out of it is a degree. Especially if that degree is a good grade. Don't let your problem with the uni sour your achievement.

The degree will open up other opportunities which have the potential to be much better. You just have to keep trying things. You'll find a job, hobby, social group etc. that you enjoy, eventually.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Oh god, I went to Salford too. Hopefully it will improve with all the regeneration.

Well I am happy with my grades, I got a first in physics and my research was published in a journal, but I tried to spend as little time at the university as possible. I would like to do a masters at somewhere really good, even oxbridge, but I don't see how I can afford it. Hence I'm left with regrets.

hahaha no you did not!! well why am i not surprised!!
honestly sounds like youve done amazing academically. i have been considering oxbridge for postgrad too but im a broke bitch so its unlikely, but i know a few salford alum have managed to do it.
Anyway feel free to message me if you want. I always love a good moan about salford!!
Oh god, I went to Salford too. Hopefully it will improve with all the regeneration.

Well I am happy with my grades, I got a first in physics and my research was published in a journal, but I tried to spend as little time at the university as possible. I would like to do a masters at somewhere really good, even oxbridge, but I don't see how I can afford it. Hence I'm left with regrets.

Hahah "tried to spend as little time at the university as possible"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending