The Student Room Group

Can I apply?

So for AS I've got AABD in geography, psychology, biology and chemistry as well as an A in a language. I know they're not brilliant, but I just wanted to hear opinions haha...
I was thinking of doing geography (req A*AA)/psychology(req A*A*A)
Original post by jwyl
So for AS I've got AABD in geography, psychology, biology and chemistry as well as an A in a language. I know they're not brilliant, but I just wanted to hear opinions haha...

Probably not for PBS because the most important subjects for that among your subjects are biology and chemistry and you grades are much too weak in both. And, even though it's not stated as a required subject, many apply with a-level maths as it's useful for PBS but you don't have it either which makes your application even weaker.

'Requirement' is minimum requirement. Plenty of people apply with grades exceeding that. With your grades I think it's very unlikely you'll be invited for interview for geography either, unless you have very serious extenuating circumstance that hindered your performance at exams. Do you have any?
What's UMS for each subject?
What was you GCSE like? How did it compare to your school's average performance?
And what sort of school/s you went/go to and your social background?
Are you going a lot of super- curricular (extra-curricular related to your subject)?
Cambridge takes all these things into account when they assess each applicant. Without them, no one can tell you for sure.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jwyl

To add to @vincrows, essentially Cambridge are looking for applicants they can be confident will meet (or exceed) the typical course requirements. They do that in many ways, but a key one is using your AS performance to guide them. A performance of AABD, to be honest, wouldn't at first glance give them confidence you can achieve A*AA. Of course some people do convert less good ASs into very good A2s but it's not easy...

Hold on, you mention an A in "a language" in passing... So you have AAABD not AABD?? Depending on Best 3 and individual UMS that will probably be fine to get an interview for Geography.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
To add to @vincrows, essentially Cambridge are looking for applicants they can be confident will meet (or exceed) the typical course requirements. They do that in many ways, but a key one is using your AS performance to guide them. A performance of AABD, to be honest, wouldn't at first glance give them confidence you can achieve A*AA. Of course some people do convert less good ASs into very good A2s but it's not easy...

Hold on, you mention an A in "a language" in passing... So you have AAABD not AABD?? Depending on Best 3 and individual UMS that will probably be fine to get an interview for Geography.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I missed that......
So OP, as @jneill (<your tag still not working....) said, as long as the language is not your native/first language.
Reply 4
Original post by vincrows
Ah I missed that......
So OP, as @jneill (<your tag still not working....) said, as long as the language is not your native/first language.

Worked ok :smile:
Original post by jneill
Worked ok :smile:

Sorry I meant your tagging on me.
Reply 6
Good catch about native language @vincrows :wink:

Christ's has, coincidentally, just posted:

"...We do count native languages as part of UMS averages for humanities subjects (it's calculated automatically and we can't filter them out), so with (93+)% you (would) be eligible for compulsory pooling and so (would) get an interview..."
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3517571&page=34&p=58808933#post58808933

So we return to the question of @jwyl's UMS...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Sorry I meant your tagging on me.

Ah, that's the app. Doesn't seem to support it :frown:
Original post by jneill
Good catch about native language @vincrows :wink:

Christ's has, conincidentally, just posted:

"...We do count native languages as part of UMS averages for humanities subjects (it's calculated automatically and we can't filter them out), so with (93+)% you (would) be eligible for compulsory pooling and so (would) get an interview..."
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3517571&page=34&p=58808933#post58808933

So we return to the question of @jwyl's UMS...

It worked this time. :biggrin:

Well, he also said,
Original post by Christ's Admissions
We usually try to avoid making native languages part of the offer where we can but sometimes it happens. .
.....so it'd probably depend on if it is his native language or not if he has stronger application profile than he'd been thinking

.*waits for his reply with bated breath*
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Ah, that's the app. Doesn't seem to support it :frown:

I use my iPhone without app and it works fine.
Still no idea the advantages of having app, because I even haven't checked it. Trying not to make it too easy to get too involved in tsr by using app...........and failing......
Reply 10
It worked this time. :biggrin:

Well, he also said,.....so it'd probably depend on how it is his native language or not if he has stronger application profile than he'd been thinking

.*waits for his reply with bated breath*

or her...
:wink:

(yes so the language may at least unlock the interview door...)
Original post by jneill
or her...
:wink:

(yes so the language may at least unlock the interview door...)

Right. :smile:

(....and can close it as soon as AT realises it's the native language of the applicant. So 'what language' matters a lot. Though it doesn't necessarily present a true picture about the applicant's ability in the language as, for example in the case of my nieces, their mother is German but she didn't talk to or teach them any German with them at all, so they learned German as a foreign language at GCSE/A-level. Fortunately they're both scientists, so their ability in German wasn't an issue when applying, but it can be misleading if AT didn't know the detail of background)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending