The Student Room Group

Less student finance?

So, I applied to do Sociology at university but once I got my results I changed my mind and switched to do Psychology.
Student finance had told me I was going to get around £9000 while I was doing Sociology but I have just received another letter saying I am not only going to get £8700, but I am still staying at the same uni.
I know this isn't a lot but I was just wondering as to why it has decreased and do I need to ring up student finance?
Help?

This is the maintenance loan not tuition fees
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MorganJ8
So, I applied to do Sociology at university but once I got my results I changed my mind and switched to do Psychology.
Student finance had told me I was going to get around £9000 while I was doing Sociology but I have just received another letter saying I am not only going to get £8700, but I am still staying at the same uni.
I know this isn't a lot but I was just wondering as to why it has decreased and do I need to ring up student finance?
Help?

Is this your tuition fees? The course might just genuinely cost less.
Help?

I would check with your uni the cost of the course, just to make sure, if it is 8700, then that's fine but if it isn't you need to get 300 from somewhere :biggrin:
Double check that isn't the actual price of the course, it could be. Most are 9k but some I've seen are as low as 8.5k. If this is a mistake, when you get the next chance, call Student Finance and tell them. The longer you leave it, the worse it will be. Or for some reason, they may only be willing to pay that much.
Reply 4
This was the maintenance loan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is the course the same amount of weeks?
Original post by EllainKahlo
Double check that isn't the actual price of the course, it could be. Most are 9k but some I've seen are as low as 8.5k. If this is a mistake, when you get the next chance, call Student Finance and tell them. The longer you leave it, the worse it will be. Or for some reason, they may only be willing to pay that much.

Course fees are set by the uni, if they have put the wrong fees then it needs to be fixed from their end, nothing Student Finance can do.
Reply 7
This was the maintenance loan

Posted from TSR Mobile

The maximum Maintenance Loan/Grant combo you can get is £6058 + £3387. That's if you're from a zero income household and studying in London. They tend to work in odd amounts rather than nice round figures.

Pretty sure you're looking at the tuition fee loan amount. Worth a double-check.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by applicationa
Course fees are set by the uni, if they have put the wrong fees then it needs to be fixed from their end, nothing Student Finance can do.

I know that, it's possible that Student Finance have misread the fees and made a mistake anyway, possible.
Original post by EllainKahlo
I know that, it's possible that Student Finance have misread the fees and made a mistake anyway, possible.

No, the maximum fee loan available is assigned automatically by the system based on the information put into the Student Information Service by the universities. It's not Student Finance's job to look through all the courses at all the unis and load the fee amounts into their system.

There are only two cases in which the maximum fee loan available to the student is lower than this:
1. if it is zero because of previous study making student ineligible or
2. if there is a lower cap because the student is on placement or studying abroad

Quick Reply