The Student Room Group

Getting into Dentistry?

Hello. I just finished my GCSE and I'm starting AS this year I took Biology,Chemist, Maths and economics. It has always been my dream to become a dentist but I just realized how hard and competitive it is. I feel like my dreams are shattering already when I didnt even start my AS yet :frown:. I want to know if anyone tried to apply and got rejected. Or if you got accepted i want to know if you have any tips and how hard it actually is? Im also thinking to go to another european country since UK is so hard maybe a country like Austria or Germany. Im willing to learn the language as well! Please help im really worried.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Firstly, you haven't told us what grades you got. On the outside, it looks like you could be overreacting.
Secondly, there's more to University applications than GCSE. A Levels, Work Experience, Voluntary Work to name a few. Honestly, saying your dream has been destroyed after GCSE's is very petty and ridiculous.
Thirdly, the consensus is that applications abroad are favourable, especially to British Students, but they cost more. Spain and many eastern European countries have popular dental schemes.

I suggest having a look at the Dentistry area in this forum to garner more information.
I didn't apply to dental school, I applied to medical school, but I've got plenty of friends who are off to dental school this year and both courses are highly competitive with transferrable skills, so I'll try and help you.

What were your GCSE grades? They aren't that important, but for competitive course universities do look for them and some have particular requirements - ranging from Bs in maths, English and double award science to a certain number of A or A* grades. Do your research and look for dental schools in the UK or abroad that would consider you with whatever your GCSE grades are.

Your AS subject choices sound excellent for Dentistry so you're all set there. Provided you get pretty good AS grades and some relevant work experience this year I see no reason why you couldn't apply. If you never try you'll never know! Have a look at some personal statements online or at your college to see what other applicants did to make themselves more competitive. Voluntary work is always very popular with universities.

Finally, yes it's a competitive course so applying is hard. But universities can be very sympathetic! One of my friends applied last year and revceived an offer from Nottingham for dentistry, Unfortunately, he did not achieve the required A levels this year. However, Nottingham is offering to hold his place if he resist this year to get the required grades! So sometimes, even if you feel like things aren't going to plan, it all works out in the end.
Original post by KAWK
Firstly, you haven't told us what grades you got. On the outside, it looks like you could be overreacting.
Secondly, there's more to University applications than GCSE. A Levels, Work Experience, Voluntary Work to name a few. Honestly, saying your dream has been destroyed after GCSE's is very petty and ridiculous.
Thirdly, the consensus is that applications abroad are favourable, especially to British Students, but they cost more. Spain and many eastern European countries have popular dental schemes.

I suggest having a look at the Dentistry area in this forum to garner more information.

My GCSEs weren't that bad but I think they're not good enough. My brother got 5A in his AS and he's saying that they wont accept him he also got 7 A* in his GCSE. So many people get like crazy high grades and have awesome experience/voluntary work but still don't get in.
Thank you very much for your reply.
English Language B
English Literature A
Science Additional A
Science Core B
Maths A
Religious Studies A
History B
General Studies A
French C
Original post by LeFailFish
I didn't apply to dental school, I applied to medical school, but I've got plenty of friends who are off to dental school this year and both courses are highly competitive with transferrable skills, so I'll try and help you.

What were your GCSE grades? They aren't that important, but for competitive course universities do look for them and some have particular requirements - ranging from Bs in maths, English and double award science to a certain number of A or A* grades. Do your research and look for dental schools in the UK or abroad that would consider you with whatever your GCSE grades are.

Your AS subject choices sound excellent for Dentistry so you're all set there. Provided you get pretty good AS grades and some relevant work experience this year I see no reason why you couldn't apply. If you never try you'll never know! Have a look at some personal statements online or at your college to see what other applicants did to make themselves more competitive. Voluntary work is always very popular with universities.

Finally, yes it's a competitive course so applying is hard. But universities can be very sympathetic! One of my friends applied last year and revceived an offer from Nottingham for dentistry, Unfortunately, he did not achieve the required A levels this year. However, Nottingham is offering to hold his place if he resist this year to get the required grades! So sometimes, even if you feel like things aren't going to plan, it all works out in the end.

Thank you very much for your reply! This was very helpful and made me feel better. Does my work experience and voluntary work have to be realated to dentistry? Unfortunately I didnt get any A* in my GCSEs but they're not that bad. Maybe not enough?
English Language B
English Literature A
Science Additional A
Science Core B
Maths A
Religious Studies A
History B
General Studies A

French C
Reply 5
Original post by koolgurl14
Hello. I just finished my GCSE and I'm starting AS this year I took Biology,Chemist, Maths and economics. It has always been my dream to become a dentist but I just realized how hard and competitive it is. I feel like my dreams are shattering already when I didnt even start my AS yet :frown:. I want to know if anyone tried to apply and got rejected. Or if you got accepted i want to know if you have any tips and how hard it actually is? Im also thinking to go to another european country since UK is so hard maybe a country like Austria or Germany. Im willing to learn the language as well! Please help im really worried.

I got similar grades to you and I feel pretty much the same!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you very much for your reply! This was very helpful and made me feel better. Does my work experience and voluntary work have to be realated to dentistry? Unfortunately I didnt get any A* in my GCSEs but they're not that bad. Maybe not enough?
English Language B
English Literature A
Science Additional A
Science Core B
Maths A
Religious Studies A
History B
General Studies A

French C

Work experience yes - shadowing a dentist or dental nurse in a dental surgery is very important so that you can show you understand what being a dentist is like and can talk about what it taught you in your personal statement. Voluntary work not so much - you could be a young leader at a Scout or Guide group or run a school club or society and that still demonstrates skills that a good dentist needs (leadership, willingness to help people, teamwork, communication, etc).

Your GCSEs aren't the best but they're still very good and should be adequate. You have As in most of the 'essential' subjects with a couple of Bs. Just look at the entry requirements of all the dental schools and play to your strengths.
Original post by User008
I got similar grades to you and I feel pretty much the same!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad someone feels the same way! :smile:
What AS subjects are you taking?
Work experience yes - shadowing a dentist or dental nurse in a dental surgery is very important so that you can show you understand what being a dentist is like and can talk about what it taught you in your personal statement. Voluntary work not so much - you could be a young leader at a Scout or Guide group or run a school club or society and that still demonstrates skills that a good dentist needs (leadership, willingness to help people, teamwork, communication, etc).

Your GCSEs aren't the best but they're still very good and should be adequate. You have As in most of the 'essential' subjects with a couple of Bs. Just look at the entry requirements of all the dental schools and play to your strengths.

Thank you very much for ur help. I'm going to try my best and hopefully all goes well. :smile:
Reply 9
I'm glad someone feels the same way! :smile:
What AS subjects are you taking?

Bio, Chem, economics or maths and Spanish :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You seem to be overreacting. I'd say do you AS's first before you feel like you've blown your chance of dentistry.
Yes it's competative, but so are so many other courses and people who ddn't get accepted with however many A* at GCSE they got could have been because of many more important reasons (A-level grades, interview, application etc.), so it's best not to be discouraged over that.
Work hard at your A-levels, build up your ucas application as best you can, and have more faith in yourself.
Reply 11
My GCSEs weren't that bad but I think they're not good enough. My brother got 5A in his AS and he's saying that they wont accept him he also got 7 A* in his GCSE. So many people get like crazy high grades and have awesome experience/voluntary work but still don't get in.
Thank you very much for your reply.
English Language B
English Literature A
Science Additional A
Science Core B
Maths A
Religious Studies A
History B
General Studies A
French C

Seriously, those grades are not bad at all. Work hard at A-Levels and maximise doing other things mentioned and you have a chance, like everyone else.
Original post by KAWK
Seriously, those grades are not bad at all. Work hard at A-Levels and maximise doing other things mentioned and you have a chance, like everyone else.

Thanks I'll try all my best! :smile:
Original post by tcameron
You seem to be overreacting. I'd say do you AS's first before you feel like you've blown your chance of dentistry.
Yes it's competative, but so are so many other courses and people who ddn't get accepted with however many A* at GCSE they got could have been because of many more important reasons (A-level grades, interview, application etc.), so it's best not to be discouraged over that.
Work hard at your A-levels, build up your ucas application as best you can, and have more faith in yourself.

thank you very much for encouraging me! i'll do the best I can and hopefully it goes well! :smile:
Some dentist also provide dental practice or learning.
Applying for dentistry at QMUL, King's, Dundee and Queen's Belfast.
GCSES 1A*, 4As, 5Bs
AS AABB (RS, Chemistry, Maths, Biology)
A2 predictions A*AA (RS, Chemistry, Maths)
UKCAT today.
EPQ on lung cancer, Grade A
Volunteering at Centre of the Cell, 2 weeks work exp at a care home, work exp at The royal london hospital in the anaesthetic dept. in November plus dental shadowing.

Any suggestions/comments?
Original post by Sunshine98
Applying for dentistry at QMUL, King's, Dundee and Queen's Belfast.
GCSES 1A*, 4As, 5Bs
AS AABB (RS, Chemistry, Maths, Biology)
A2 predictions A*AA (RS, Chemistry, Maths)
UKCAT today.
EPQ on lung cancer, Grade A
Volunteering at Centre of the Cell, 2 weeks work exp at a care home, work exp at The royal london hospital in the anaesthetic dept. in November plus dental shadowing.

Any suggestions/comments?

Good Luck!! What did u get in ur UKCAT?
sorry can't help much with suggestions but from research that i've done i think you've got a good chance :smile:
Take a college prep course of study. Include math and the sciences.Talk to your guidance counselor about local people which will give you insight into a dental career:biggrin:entists, hygienists, dental assistants or dental laboratory owners. Visit with these people and spend time in their offices. Most of these professionals will be excited to help you.If you have in mind certain colleges to attend, look on their websites for a pre-professional advising department. There you will find links to course requirement lists for pre-health professions students.
My GCSEs:
5A,4B,3C
My A-levels:
Bio Chem Geog History

Do I stand a chance for dentistry?

Nottingham don't offer dentistry...think you might have got the wrong message there somewhere. Also Dental schools never hold offers...they're so oversubscribed, if you miss the grades...that's usually it, you're gone.

Quick Reply

Latest