The Student Room Group

Can I live off a maintenance loan?!

I don't think my parents would support me financially tbh. Is it possible? :erm:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by arfah
I don't think my parents would support me financially tbh. Is it possible? :erm:

in London? rent alone will eat away a large chunk of the loan..
Reply 2
Original post by Windies
in London? rent alone will eat away a large chunk of the loan..

No. In Cardiff. It's meant to be a 'cheap' place.
Reply 3
😩😭 I'm screwed
how much is your loan and how much is your rent?
Reply 5
Original post by arfah
No. In Cardiff. It's meant to be a 'cheap' place.

It's possible to live off the money from SF alone (it's what I did). Do you get the max amount? Just make sure you're sensible with your accommodation choice.
How much a month do you have to live on?
I haven't gone to uni yet so I can't help you from a personal perspective however this is the average for UK students:

Students' annual living costs (outside London)
Rent £4,989
Food £1,954
Household goods £363
Insurance £42
Personal Items £1,917
Travel £1,705
Leisure £1,190

Total: £12,160Source: National Union of Students

Your maintenance loan can be up to £5,555 outside London and £7,751 for students in London. If you are living outside of London that means you need an extra £6,605 each year, which suggests that you can't survive on just your loan?

Obviously though these are just an average and you definitely could reduce these by going out less, having the cheapest accommodation, and budgeting yourself really carefully each month etc. However most students (about 77%) have a job so maybe you could consider that?

I hoped this helped in some way and good luck!:smile: (Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33843987)
Reply 8
Original post by k3ro
It's possible to live off the money from SF alone (it's what I did). Do you get the max amount? Just make sure you're sensible with your accommodation choice.

I pretty much spent the least amount of money on accommodation. I think it's around £1190 per term. (There's three terms) The total I'll be getting is around £7000+ For this year.
Reply 9
Original post by Keyhofi
How much a month do you have to live on?

I don't know yet but I've posted how much I'll get in total! And the price of accommodation (post above)
Reply 10
Original post by elena2710
I haven't gone to uni yet so I can't help you from a personal perspective however this is the average for UK students:

Students' annual living costs (outside London)
Rent £4,989
Food £1,954
Household goods £363
Insurance £42
Personal Items £1,917
Travel £1,705
Leisure £1,190

Total: £12,160Source: National Union of Students

Your maintenance loan can be up to £5,555 outside London and £7,751 for students in London. If you are living outside of London that means you need an extra £6,605 each year, which suggests that you can't survive on just your loan?

Obviously though these are just an average and you definitely could reduce these by going out less, having the cheapest accommodation, and budgeting yourself really carefully each month etc. However most students (about 77%) have a job so maybe you could consider that?

I hoped this helped in some way and good luck!:smile: (Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33843987)

No I'm getting £7000+ because I come from a less well off family. I think it's the max. This has helped. I'm reading it again thanks!
Original post by arfah
No I'm getting £7000+ because I come from a less well off family. I think it's the max. This has helped. I'm reading it again thanks!

No problem and good luck again :smile:
Reply 12
I shall try getting a job but it seems so impossible 🙏🏼.
Reply 13
Omg I am screwed omg help
It could be worth checking if there are any scholarships that you're eligible for if you haven't already.
Reply 15
Original post by Spotted Monkey
It could be worth checking if there are any scholarships that you're eligible for if you haven't already.

I checked and they don't give scholarships to law students but ill try for a sports scholarship.
(edited 8 years ago)
You should be okay, as you get loan and grant. I live off mine as my only source of main income to live at university. I work in summer holidays and have occasional term time work for the university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arfah
Omg I am screwed omg help

You get the same amount that I ve had for 2 years and I ve barely used my overdraft so I wouldn't panic yet :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by claireestelle
You get the same amount that I ve had for 2 years and I ve barely used my overdraft so I wouldn't panic yet :smile:

That's encouraging
:jumphug:
Original post by arfah
That's encouraging
:jumphug:

Make yourself a budget for everything and I recon you ll be okay :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest