The Student Room Group

What can a biology degree offer??

I am currently going to start Biology at Queen Mary's university next month. I've been in the UK since 2008 but am counted as an overseas student and right now, I am having a really hard time trying to figure out what I want to do in life.

It sounds stupid, but right now I'm really stressed about having a secured future already worrying about employment. I'm only wanting to study biology because that's what I enjoyed at school. Now having chosen it, I don't know if that's really what I should go for.

I'm already putting a lot of pressure on my parents with tuition fees and now I'm even reconsidering whether uni is right for me. What can I do with a biology degree? Is it worth 17000 a year for 3 years? What are the job prospects? Maybe further studies afterwards? Is that an option?

I'm running out of time, any words of advice and comfort will be really appreciated..
If you became a botanist that'd be good as there is a big shortage. My bf did biology and now works for a science journal company doing editing. You could also do a masters in something more specific. If you don't feel like you're getting anything out of the course then you can transfer to another in second year. Having a degree is definitely worth it as the job prospects with no degree sucks. Try contacting the university and ask what graduates of your course have gone on to do
Reply 2
Original post by Hevachan
If you became a botanist that'd be good as there is a big shortage. My bf did biology and now works for a science journal company doing editing. You could also do a masters in something more specific. If you don't feel like you're getting anything out of the course then you can transfer to another in second year. Having a degree is definitely worth it as the job prospects with no degree sucks. Try contacting the university and ask what graduates of your course have gone on to do
Hello Hevachan. Thanks for your advice. I guess opting out of uni is really not a good idea then.. On the uni's website some people have gone to do research, a lot of people have gone to do further studies like you said, some people have gone to do jobs completely unrelated to biology.. I'm not sure I want to be a botanist unfortunately.. :frown: Having the privilege of a very very expensive education has made me put a lot of pressure on myself to succeed in life and career.. I'm sure my parents want me to just be happy .. but I just.. I don't know I feel so stupid and regretful for not having tried harder. Right now I'm thinking about trying for medicine after I graduate.. Do you think that's a possibility for me?
Original post by sungyun_1130
Hello Hevachan. Thanks for your advice. I guess opting out of uni is really not a good idea then.. On the uni's website some people have gone to do research, a lot of people have gone to do further studies like you said, some people have gone to do jobs completely unrelated to biology.. I'm not sure I want to be a botanist unfortunately.. :frown: Having the privilege of a very very expensive education has made me put a lot of pressure on myself to succeed in life and career.. I'm sure my parents want me to just be happy .. but I just.. I don't know I feel so stupid and regretful for not having tried harder. Right now I'm thinking about trying for medicine after I graduate.. Do you think that's a possibility for me?

I know that feeling! Have you had a brain storm about the jobs you'd like to do if money wasn't an issue? Do you have any passions/hobbies? I'm not sure how easy it would be to go into medicine but you could do medical writing. Conservation and renewable energy is also a growing area. Its never too late to change degrees, it might just take time. I understand that it's hard to think straight with so much pressure on you but that doesn't mean you don't have choices :smile: sticking with biology will lead to a graduate job, it just may not be so clear what that ends up being
Go with what you're interested in. A degree will give you a load of transferable skills which you can take into pretty much any job that requires them. I'd only consider not going to uni if you have a job offer or a very good plan of what you'd do otherwise.
Reply 5
I know that feeling! Have you had a brain storm about the jobs you'd like to do if money wasn't an issue? Do you have any passions/hobbies? I'm not sure how easy it would be to go into medicine but you could do medical writing. Conservation and renewable energy is also a growing area. Its never too late to change degrees, it might just take time. I understand that it's hard to think straight with so much pressure on you but that doesn't mean you don't have choices :smile: sticking with biology will lead to a graduate job, it just may not be so clear what that ends up being

I have actually been interested in wildlife conservation a long time.. But I'm not so sure now. The problem is though I don't know whether this is because of money being the issue or simply because my interests have changed. I feel very lost.
Reply 6
Original post by alleycat393
Go with what you're interested in. A degree will give you a load of transferable skills which you can take into pretty much any job that requires them. I'd only consider not going to uni if you have a job offer or a very good plan of what you'd do otherwise.

Yeah I've always thought about going to uni so I don't actually have any plans of what to do otherwise... I'm just worried how it will turn out after wards. I can't imagine myself as employee material and I'm worried that after I graduate I will still be the same shy, unattractive (as an employee) girl. I'm such a worrier right..? Do you have any advice for me during uni life to really prepare myself for the world?
Reply 7
You can go into research, teaching, wildlife etc whatever floats your boat really. Just carry on doing what you enjoy and don't worry about what other people think.
Reply 8
Original post by mud4554r
You can go into research, teaching, wildlife etc whatever floats your boat really. Just carry on doing what you enjoy and don't worry about what other people think.

Thank you. These words are making me feel better :smile: Do you think once I go to uni and I meet the professors and career advisors and other people who do Biology, I will have a clearer path?
Reply 9
Thank you. These words are making me feel better :smile: Do you think once I go to uni and I meet the professors and career advisors and other people who do Biology, I will have a clearer path?

Yeah of course you will. They will explain what you will need to do to get to a certain career path. Good luck :smile:
Yeah I've always thought about going to uni so I don't actually have any plans of what to do otherwise... I'm just worried how it will turn out after wards. I can't imagine myself as employee material and I'm worried that after I graduate I will still be the same shy, unattractive (as an employee) girl. I'm such a worrier right..? Do you have any advice for me during uni life to really prepare myself for the world?

You just have to put yourself out there and get involved with as much stuff as possible, both related to your degree and otherwise. The major difference between uni and school is that no one is going to chase you to do things or keep checking that you have. You will have to take responsibility for your own learning and development.
I have actually been interested in wildlife conservation a long time.. But I'm not so sure now. The problem is though I don't know whether this is because of money being the issue or simply because my interests have changed. I feel very lost.

Hmm you could always take a gap year, try working for a bit and see how you feel after that time? :smile:
Hmm you could always take a gap year, try working for a bit and see how you feel after that time? :smile:

I'm afraid a gap year is not an option for me : ( For me to continue my stay in the UK, I will have to have a visa of some sort and in my current position, a student visa. Thanks though. : )
Original post by alleycat393
You just have to put yourself out there and get involved with as much stuff as possible, both related to your degree and otherwise. The major difference between uni and school is that no one is going to chase you to do things or keep checking that you have. You will have to take responsibility for your own learning and development.

OK. I will keep that in mind. Be proactive! thanks : )
Original post by mud4554r
Yeah of course you will. They will explain what you will need to do to get to a certain career path. Good luck :smile:

Thank you : )
I am currently going to start Biology at Queen Mary's university next month. I've been in the UK since 2008 but am counted as an overseas student and right now, I am having a really hard time trying to figure out what I want to do in life.

It sounds stupid, but right now I'm really stressed about having a secured future already worrying about employment. I'm only wanting to study biology because that's what I enjoyed at school. Now having chosen it, I don't know if that's really what I should go for.

I'm already putting a lot of pressure on my parents with tuition fees and now I'm even reconsidering whether uni is right for me. What can I do with a biology degree? Is it worth 17000 a year for 3 years? What are the job prospects? Maybe further studies afterwards? Is that an option?

I'm running out of time, any words of advice and comfort will be really appreciated..

Have you considered a vocational degree which incorporates biology? There are a whole list of NHS careers with related degrees. That way you get to study something that you enjoy as well as securing a career for yourself.

I saw you mention wildlife conservation - it's massively competitive so if this is a serious consideration you need to research it and get as much work experience as possible. Unfortunately a lot of placements are overseas and can be expensive to parktake in. But do your own research and draw your own conclusions.

There's also the option of becoming a Biology teacher but obviously you have to actually want to teach and since you say you're shy you'd need to overcome that.

My honest advice is that you should not be going to uni without knowing what you're aiming for. It's a competitive world after graduation and you need to be very clear from the start of your degree about what your career ambitions are in order to get as much relevant work experience as possible in time for when you graduate.

You will not magically work out your career ambitions in lecture theatres and seminar rooms. You have to work and get real life work experience in order to try out jobs and see if you like them - nothing can substitute that experience. You won't have a huge amount of time during uni to get work experience since you'll be focused on your studies.

A gap year would enable you to get work experience and life experience in order to figure it out rather than spending vast amounts of money on a degree that you don't actually know what to do with. I'd also recommend that you look at the unistats website at Biology degrees and see what the state of employment is like for recent grads.

Overall, I think this approach to university (going without knowing why) is a recipe for disaster. I've personally experienced it and witnessed it happen first hand to many friends. I know you're probably young and you just want to start uni ASAP but 'ASAP' is not always wise. You could be going nowhere fast -it's better to take your time and make the right choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending