The Student Room Group

Law

When I started college in September, I am taking Law, sociology, English lit and geography and I want to go on and do Law in university.

Are does good choices to study for A-levels?:s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

To be honest, most Law courses at university don't like you studying Law at A level as it's not considered a s'trong' subject. But all of your other choices are fine so if you drop the Law after AS and get decent grades you should be able to get into a decent university to study Law.
Reply 2
The majority of universities are absolutely fine with you studying Law, their main objection is the fact the subject used to be taught by History teachers instead of people who had actually studied Law. My A Level teacher emailed all universities and only 1 or 2 out of about 70 said they would prefer a student without it. I think its a great way of getting to grips with the subject, go for it
Reply 3
Original post by Wrf95
The majority of universities are absolutely fine with you studying Law, their main objection is the fact the subject used to be taught by History teachers instead of people who had actually studied Law. My A Level teacher emailed all universities and only 1 or 2 out of about 70 said they would prefer a student without it. I think its a great way of getting to grips with the subject, go for it

Which universities would prefer students without it? Do you remember?
Reply 4
[QUOTE=LeFailFish;58810781]To be honest, most Law courses at university don't like you studying Law at A level as it's not considered a s'trong' subject. But all of your other choices are fine so if you drop the Law after AS and get decent grades you should be able to get into a decent university to study Law.

I was thinking of dropping it after AS but I didn't think my other 3 subjects were that strong to get into a good law university. Do you think I should swap subjects?
Original post by ramatu99
I was thinking of dropping it after AS but I didn't think my other 3 subjects were that strong to get into a good law university. Do you think I should swap subjects?

English Lit and Geography are strong subjects, Sociology possibly a little less so but it's still respected. They're all essay subjects and combined they should be fine, but if you're worried, take something like History instead of Sociology.
Reply 6
Original post by LeFailFish
English Lit and Geography are strong subjects, Sociology possibly a little less so but it's still respected. They're all essay subjects and combined they should be fine, but if you're worried, take something like History instead of Sociology.

I'm not very strong in history and I'm not sure I'll get a good A-level grade even though I got a B in GCSE.. I don't know how I got that:s-smilie:. I know A-level history will be a lot harder aswell as the others.
I'm not very strong in history and I'm not sure I'll get a good A-level grade even though I got a B in GCSE.. I don't know how I got that:s-smilie:. I know A-level history will be a lot harder aswell as the others.

In that case, stick with the Sociology :smile:
It depends on where you'd like to study.
Reply 9
[QUOTE=Jasaron;58811701]It depends on where you'd like to study.

As in university?
When I started college in September, I am taking Law, sociology, English lit and geography and I want to go on and do Law in university.

Are does good choices to study for A-levels?:s-smilie:

There are stronger combinations. Sociology and Law are your weakest. Try doing History instead of Law. It's better in every way. Consider economics, government and politics and Philosophy&Ethics instead of sociology.
Reply 11
[QUOTE=Big Blue Machine;58811957]There are stronger combinations. Sociology and Law are your weakest. Try doing History instead of Law. It's better in every way. Consider economics, government and politics and Philosophy&Ethics instead of sociology.

I'm thinking of dropping law after AS and I don't know if I'll be able to get a good grade in those subjects
I'm thinking of dropping law after AS and I don't know if I'll be able to get a good grade in those subjects

Okay. But getting into LSE and other top Russell groups will be significantly harder.
Reply 13
[QUOTE=Big Blue Machine;58812341]Okay. But getting into LSE and other top Russell groups will be significantly harder.

ahhhh I see. How is philosophy associated with law?
ahhhh I see. How is philosophy associated with law?

Law has a lot of philosophy!

It's not about whether the knowledge you gain is associated with law, it's about the skills like processing large amounts of information, constructing an argument, seeing different perspectives etc. Someone with an A* in English literature would be taken over an A* in Las any day. And literature is less related to Law than P&E. Law is on the LSE black list And the trinity college Cambridge more limited suitability list. Sociology is also on that list. Religious studies/ P&E is on the generally suitable list, with History and English. So it's more respected than sociology and law, which is important.
As in university?

Yes.
Reply 16
Which universities would prefer students without it? Do you remember?

Cambridge and LSE weren't overly keen but you can still get it with it - doing Law at A level won't disadvantage you at all, if anything it will allow you to understand the basis of things you'll be studying at uni. I did it, and am now studying Law at Bristol, as did my friend who is studying at Cambridge and says the majority of people he knows in his course also did - good luck and choose the a levels you think you'll enjoy the most :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Wrf95
Cambridge and LSE weren't overly keen but you can still get it with it - doing Law at A level won't disadvantage you at all, if anything it will allow you to understand the basis of things you'll be studying at uni. I did it, and am now studying Law at Bristol, as did my friend who is studying at Cambridge and says the majority of people he knows in his course also did - good luck and choose the a levels you think you'll enjoy the most :smile:

Ahhh that's good to hear! Are you enjoying Law at Bristol? Thanks for the help
I studied all the subjects you mentioned except geography ( studied business and dropped it at A2) I'm going to be studying Law at the University of Manchester and when I chose my five universities they all accepted me ( including Warwick). Studying Law at A Level won't ruin your chances in getting into university only your grades will do that. Like others have said, you don't need to study Law to study it at uni, if there's another subject you really want to study then go for it but don't force yourself thinking you'll have the upperhand.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Faith.A
I studied all the subjects you mentioned except geography ( studied business and dropped it at A2) I'm going to be studying Law at the University of Manchester and when I chose my five universities they all accepted me ( including Warwick). Studying Law at A Level won't ruin your chances in getting into university only your grades will do that. Like others have said, you don't need to study Law to study it at uni, if there's another subject you really want to study then go for it but don't force yourself thinking you'll have the upperhand.

Thank you very muchh:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest