The Student Room Group

Can I live off a maintenance loan?!

Scroll to see replies

I was going to mention your overdraft.

It's difficult to asnwer tbh. Some people do live off their student loan without parental help. Some need help. It depends on things like if you go out a lot, etc.
Original post by arfah
No I'm getting £7000+ because I come from a less well off family. I think it's the max. This has helped. I'm reading it again thanks!

I don't know how you're getting £7000+ because I get the max loan and grant and it only equates to over £6000
Reply 22
Original post by l'insegnante
I don't know how you're getting £7000+ because I get the max loan and grant and it only equates to over £6000

That's strange... I'm going to go check it again and I'll let you know to exact amount!
You will live comfortably on 7K

You can't be getting the maximum if you're getting less than £7,000 because the maximum is definitely over £7,000 :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arfah
I pretty much spent the least amount of money on accommodation. I think it's around £1190 per term. (There's three terms) The total I'll be getting is around £7000+ For this year.

I get £9000, so you mustn't be getting the highest

Posted from TSR Mobile

are you living at home?
Reply 27
Well I get Max loan and grant and get around 8000 and after taking off the 3200 for my accommodation it still leaves me with 75 a week (which includes the holidays because I divided the remaining amount across 52 weeks rather than just 37 so that I've got money to see me through) I think that this much money is easily liveable on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
You can't be getting the maximum if you're getting less than £7,000 because the maximum is definitely over £7,000 :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's strange, on my entitlement sheet it says it's the max

Original post by OU Student
are you living at home?

Nope
Reply 29
Original post by arfah
That's strange... I'm going to go check it again and I'll let you know to exact amount!

Original post by driftawaay
You will live comfortably on 7K

£7520 I'm gassed 😊😭
Reply 30
Original post by arfah
£7520 I'm gassed 😊😭

Wow thats a lot!! I will get nhs bursery of about half that, have two young kids and a big mortgage. No benefits on top of that so will have to work, look after kids, study and do placements.
Original post by arfah
I don't think my parents would support me financially tbh. Is it possible? :erm:

It is perfectly possible!!

If you get the max loan, and you are living in one of cardiffs cheapest accommodations, then you will be fine!!

Lets say your accomodation is 3,500 a year, and your loan is around 7,500.

Your at cardiff for 32 weeks in the year, that leaves you 4,000 for 32 weeks which is 125 a week!! This is more than most students live off!!

Im going to cardiff in september also and its such a cheap city

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you have a job? If so you can save up a bit of money :smile:
Original post by elena2710
I haven't gone to uni yet so I can't help you from a personal perspective however this is the average for UK students:

Students' annual living costs (outside London)
Rent £4,989
Food £1,954
Household goods £363
Insurance £42
Personal Items £1,917
Travel £1,705
Leisure £1,190

Total: £12,160Source: National Union of Students

Your maintenance loan can be up to £5,555 outside London and £7,751 for students in London. If you are living outside of London that means you need an extra £6,605 each year, which suggests that you can't survive on just your loan?

Obviously though these are just an average and you definitely could reduce these by going out less, having the cheapest accommodation, and budgeting yourself really carefully each month etc. However most students (about 77%) have a job so maybe you could consider that?

I hoped this helped in some way and good luck!:smile: (Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33843987)

I dispute the value of the bolded figures. Inside and outside London. Ridiculously high.

Original post by arfah
I pretty much spent the least amount of money on accommodation. I think it's around £1190 per term. (There's three terms) The total I'll be getting is around £7000+ For this year.

You will be fine with that amount of money as long as you save, don't party every day and don't buy branded products.
Reply 34
Original post by Natalierm2707
It is perfectly possible!!

If you get the max loan, and you are living in one of cardiffs cheapest accommodations, then you will be fine!!

Lets say your accomodation is 3,500 a year, and your loan is around 7,500.

Your at cardiff for 32 weeks in the year, that leaves you 4,000 for 32 weeks which is 125 a week!! This is more than most students live off!!

Im going to cardiff in september also and its such a cheap city

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much :awesome: looks like I will get by quite easily.
Reply 35
Original post by arfah
Thank you so much :awesome: looks like I will get by quite easily.

Yeah, I think you'll be fine. I got 6k per year, spent on avg 350 pm for rent, and was easily able to live off the rest (even bought a laptop). I did end up using my student overdraft in third year though.
Original post by Juichiro
I dispute the value of the bolded figures. Inside and outside London. Ridiculously high.

You will be fine with that amount of money as long as you save, don't party every day and don't buy branded products.

Actually your wrong, I estimate my average cost to be in region of 10 to 11 grand past two years. As I had five grand roughly each year on accommodation. With an average living cost of roughly five grand as well. That's with a minimal budget. I have a car so that adds to my cost and yeah I could of got cheaper accommodation but it was about my personal comfort. Plus the odd few luxuries here and there.
This year my average cost will be higher due to more expensive accommodation and I estimate my cost for university this year will be in region of £12,500.
I managed this due my max/grants in second and third. Working full time before starting university saved enough for one year of living cost at university. Saved my minimum loan in first year. Working in summer and some tax rebates from tax man, occasional term time work for university. No parental support apart from occasional bit of money here and their. Am lucky I get max amount but it's not easy whatever sum of money you get in loans. I worked in order to make sure, am comfortable at university and can focus on my studies during term time. My cost sounds a lot but it's not in terms of the cost of living in the uk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lozzielizzie
Actually your wrong, I estimate my average cost to be in region of 10 to 11 grand past two years. As I had five grand roughly each year on accommodation. With an average living cost of roughly five grand as well. That's with a minimal budget. I have a car so that adds to my cost and yeah I could of got cheaper accommodation but it was about my personal comfort. Plus the odd few luxuries here and there.
This year my average cost will be higher due to more expensive accommodation and I estimate my cost for university this year will be in region of £12,500.
I managed this due my max/grants in second and third. Working full time before starting university saved enough for one year of living cost at university. Saved my minimum loan in first year. Working in summer and some tax rebates from tax man, occasional term time work for university. No parental support apart from occasional bit of money here and their. Am lucky I get max amount but it's not easy whatever sum of money you get in loans. I worked in order to make sure, am comfortable at university and can focus on my studies during term time. My cost sounds a lot but it's not in terms of the cost of living in the uk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For a student that's too high unless you are living the high life. Note that I am not disputing the value of the rent only the ones below:
Food £1,954 -> £40 in food per week?
Insurance £42 -> You don't need this if you are British
Personal Items £1,917 -> I take this to mean toiletries. Again, too much
Travel £1,705 -> Even in London, this is too much. Using the bus only you spend £720 annually and you can still keep £150 for the rare Tube trip. That makes £870, almost half than the value given.

As said, it is too much. Unless the high life is your thing.
The values above are too high.
Original post by elena2710

Students' annual living costs (outside London)
Rent £4,989
Food £1,954
Household goods £363
Insurance £42
Personal Items £1,917
Travel £1,705
Leisure £1,190

Total: £12,160Source: National Union of Students

How the bloody hell did they come up with that? I'm in central Bristol and my total costs for 12 months are £6600...
Original post by Juichiro

Travel £1,705 -> Even in London, this is too much. Using the bus only you spend £720 annually and you can still keep £150 for the rare Tube trip. That makes £870, almost half than the value given.

As said, it is too much. Unless the high life is your thing.
The values above are too high.

And a railcard / travelcard of some sort will save you huge amounts of money. I studied in London for a year and walked most places.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending