The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CantonHero
How have people managed to obtain the £3450? I'm a couple years away (actually only about to start first year), but have been trying to figure out the way to get the £3450 self-funding.

I'm putting away 15-20% in savings every time I get a paycheck. And I'm budgeting carefully. Well, I'm trying.
How have people managed to obtain the £3450? I'm a couple years away (actually only about to start first year), but have been trying to figure out the way to get the £3450 self-funding.

I'm saving my last years uni core bursary and then working to save the remaining £450! Using my bursary for something good than year 😂
But if you don't get a random lump some of free money I would suggest creating another account and putting some of your money in it! Two years is plenty! Find a part time job and you'll manage. You could also get an outside student loan if stuck 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kendellex
I'm saving my last years uni core bursary and then working to save the remaining £450! Using my bursary for something good than year 😂
But if you don't get a random lump some of free money I would suggest creating another account and putting some of your money in it! Two years is plenty! Find a part time job and you'll manage. You could also get an outside student loan if stuck 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thank you. Just the option of an outside student loan if I can't obtain the £450 is nice. I was very concerned that this path wouldn't be possible for me due to the 3450.
Hey all, another prospective med student applying for 2017 entry - which will be my first attempt. I think by then I will be fine academically and with work experience but seeing as a lot of the emphasis is put on the entrance exams I feel this may be my weakest point. So I was just wondering if anyone was thinking about taking the UKCAT this year? I believe it lasts two years!
Reply 144
Original post by Alphawolf
Hey all, another prospective med student applying for 2017 entry - which will be my first attempt. I think by then I will be fine academically and with work experience but seeing as a lot of the emphasis is put on the entrance exams I feel this may be my weakest point. So I was just wondering if anyone was thinking about taking the UKCAT this year? I believe it lasts two years!

UKCAT last for the application cycle commencing that year only, i.e. only one year.
GAMSAT is the o la exam that lasts 2 years
Original post by Indy108
Anyone here applying to Birmingham, Leicester, Warwick or Keele next year for 2017?

Leicester doesn't offer the graduate entry medicine course anymore :smile:
Original post by NiBo
Hi there,

I am also joining this thread a bit late. My background is a bit different to all of you as I studied Finance and have since then obtained a couple of Financial professional qualifications and have built a career in Finance for the last ten years. I did not have the opportunity to study medicine when I started my studies, and Finance was the easy option. From there you kind of fall into a career.. However, I have never really let go of the desire to study medicine. When I heard about the Graduate programme I realised that this is actually a possibility for me and I am now seriously working towards a application for 2017!

My first step is work experience, I am starting to volunteer for St Johns and at my local hospital as a meal buddy. Through this I am hoping to also do some shadowing and see where it goes. I really want to get a good idea of the profession as this is not a decision and a career change that I will make lightly.

I am planning to do both the UKCAT and GAMSAT next year, St Georges will be my first choice so I really have to do well in GAMSAT. I am thinking of doing a course through Gradmed to prepare as it has been many years since I have done Science! Any thoughts on this will be welcome! Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I've been reading through the comments to see if there's anyone in a similar position - Medicine was always an option for me but ended up changing my mind in year 12 and did Accounting and Finance at university whilst being sponsored by one of the big 4 and just ended up getting stuck into the job. I'm now a fully qualified Chartered Accountant for one of the big 4. I've been working for 3 years and in a really good job but I'm not really happy...I always keep thinking about having done medicine instead!

I'm currently still working but seriously considering starting my application for GEM 2017!

Are you still working in your Finance job? Are you planning to continue your job and do the medicine application on the side?

I've saved for the last two years from my part time job and am still saving now because I feel like itll be much harder to keep working while doing GEM and I wont have as much money to spare.

Just curious, why are you planning on GEM this early? It's much less competitive and way cheaper to just do undergraduate med.
Original post by sophmlg
I've saved for the last two years from my part time job and am still saving now because I feel like itll be much harder to keep working while doing GEM and I wont have as much money to spare.

Just curious, why are you planning on GEM this early? It's much less competitive and way cheaper to just do undergraduate med.

Because I didn't get the grades for undergraduate med after doing A2, only got ABB.
Another person from the financial industry here..

I did a banking and finance degree because it was so interesting to me back then, as compared to accountancy subjects I had taken before. Worked for a year at a commercial bank and now a compliance role with an IB for the past 5 years.

This industry can numb you to the reality of what's going around but there are other bigger reasons for my wish to become a doctor.

I'll be an international student and looking at GEM programs at SGUL INTO, Nottingham and Warwick. The other schools don't accept international applicants and/or need A levels (which I don't have). Hope I haven't missed out any other schools like the 3 above but I'll still need one more medical school selection for UCAS.

Oh well, more research to do :yes:
Hi all!

Seeing how I flunked the UKCAT 2015 this year I thought I'll start looking and preparing for the next cycle. Nice to meet everyone! :smile:
Original post by PkT1991
Hi all!

Seeing how I flunked the UKCAT 2015 this year I thought I'll start looking and preparing for the next cycle. Nice to meet everyone! :smile:

What did you get? I got 595 lol, gonna need a lot more practice
Original post by Indy108
What did you get? I got 595 lol, gonna need a lot more practice

Ended up with 635, QR section let me down a lot since I got really contempt with people's experience in the forums saying it was easy, so I let the revision slip in this section!

But it was my first attempt and we'll only improve for the next round! :smile:

How did you find the the test?
Original post by PkT1991
Ended up with 635, QR section let me down a lot since I got really contempt with people's experience in the forums saying it was easy, so I let the revision slip in this section!

But it was my first attempt and we'll only improve for the next round! :smile:

How did you find the the test?

I found it alright, did better than expected at abstract reasoning for some reason, got the lowest in decision analysis. My only regret is that I took it too lightly because I knew it was a practice, if I prepared a lot more and thought of it as the real exam then I'd probably have done better.

And yep, we'll only improve next time, I'll probably start preparing next January lol.
Original post by Indy108
I found it alright, did better than expected at abstract reasoning for some reason, got the lowest in decision analysis. My only regret is that I took it too lightly because I knew it was a practice, if I prepared a lot more and thought of it as the real exam then I'd probably have done better.

And yep, we'll only improve next time, I'll probably start preparing next January lol.

Ahhh don't worry I kind of used this run as a practice too but it did feel sh*tty to have not done well enough on the first attempt.

Could I ask, are you planning to sit any other admission tests for the next cycle and what your background is?
Original post by PkT1991
Ahhh don't worry I kind of used this run as a practice too but it did feel sh*tty to have not done well enough on the first attempt.

Could I ask, are you planning to sit any other admission tests for the next cycle and what your background is?

I'm definitely doing the UKCAT again next year and probably the GAMSAT after that if I decide I want to apply to Keele.

I got A*BB in biology, chemistry and maths last year and now I'm going into the second year of biochemistry at Birmingham, how about you?
Original post by Indy108
I'm definitely doing the UKCAT again next year and probably the GAMSAT after that if I decide I want to apply to Keele.

I got A*BB in biology, chemistry and maths last year and now I'm going into the second year of biochemistry at Birmingham, how about you?

Hmmm correct me if I am wrong but I thought Keele only offers the 5-year and 6-year foundation courses? Unless finances is not an issue for you, how are you planning to fund yourself on the 5/6-year course?

A levels is a distance memory for me but I got ABB in Biology, Chemistry, and maths and then went on to do a BSc at KCL with a 2:1. Currently entering the last year of my MSc, so it's all fun and games minus the social life :tongue:
Original post by PkT1991
Hmmm correct me if I am wrong but I thought Keele only offers the 5-year and 6-year foundation courses? Unless finances is not an issue for you, how are you planning to fund yourself on the 5/6-year course?

A levels is a distance memory for me but I got ABB in Biology, Chemistry, and maths and then went on to do a BSc at KCL with a 2:1. Currently entering the last year of my MSc, so it's all fun and games minus the social life :tongue:

Oh yeah you're right, thought they did the 4 year course, won't be applying for Keele now lol. What's your degree in?
Reply 158
Hey I was wondering if we need to list modules completed and what we got in our in A levels even as graduates on UCAS?
Original post by xertyl
Hey I was wondering if we need to list modules completed and what we got in our in A levels even as graduates on UCAS?

Nope, just your final grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending