The Student Room Group

oxford/cambridge medicine help

Hey guys,

Recently received my GCSE results and got 10.5A*s, 1A and 1B. Just wanted to know how my chances stand for medicine at oxbridge? Will the B haunt me (french year 9) and will the half course A* count? Also what course would you say for medicine is better- oxford's or cambridge's?

Also, I have posted this a couple of times but didn't get any replies so I would be grateful for a reply...
Original post by hahahahaha123
Hey guys,

Recently received my GCSE results and got 10.5A*s, 1A and 1B. Just wanted to know how my chances stand for medicine at oxbridge? Will the B haunt me (french year 9) and will the half course A* count? Also what course would you say for medicine is better- oxford's or cambridge's?

Also, I have posted this a couple of times but didn't get any replies so I would be grateful for a reply...

Yes, your GCSE's are fine, my friend actually applied for Cambridge and she had 1 B like you and just left it off her application (she thought it ruined the look off all her other grades being A's). Yes, of course the half course counts towards something, it shows you are a little bit more rounded, in another subject.
Original post by Hayley Williams
Yes, your GCSE's are fine, my friend actually applied for Cambridge and she had 1 B like you and just left it off her application (she thought it ruined the look off all her other grades being A's). Yes, of course the half course counts towards something, it shows you are a little bit more rounded, in another subject.

Don't you have to declare every grade? And I'm not sure how it works but would they see the development considering I got the B in year 9 and year 10/year 11 were all A*-A? And thank God for the hapf course!!!! Also considering I come from a deprived borough, will the GCSEs look even better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't you have to declare every grade? And I'm not sure how it works but would they see the development considering I got the B in year 9 and year 10/year 11 were all A*-A? And thank God for the hapf course!!!! Also considering I come from a deprived borough, will the GCSEs look even better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well she didn't and i know lot's of people that have done this, i think it's on AS results where this rule is enforced. Yes, oxford look at where you got your GCSE's as well, so 9A*'s from a "bad" school look better than 12A*'s from a top school were everyone got those grades, kind of unfair, but it could be an advantage to you. :biggrin:
Hey guys,

Recently received my GCSE results and got 10.5A*s, 1A and 1B. Just wanted to know how my chances stand for medicine at oxbridge? Will the B haunt me (french year 9) and will the half course A* count?

Oxford releases GCSE stats and clearly states their selection policy here.

Cambridge focuses less on GCSEs and more on AS UMS scores, which should be above 90 (ideally >92).

Also what course would you say for medicine is better- oxford's or cambridge's?

There is lots of information out there to help you decide. Why don't you have a look on their respective websites/prospectuses and decide for yourself?

The main factors to consider when choosing med school is the teaching style (which can be very varied), and whether you will get in or not (>60% don't get any offers so wasting even one choice isn't really an option).

Don't you have to declare every grade?

Yes. Not doing so is fraud and could get your UCAS application removed entirely
Reply 5
Hey guys,

Do a levels first...

Quick Reply

Latest