The Student Room Group

Confused on what to choose as my fourth A-level

I've settled for English Literature, Theology (and Philosophy), and Sociology, but I don't know what I should choose for my fourth course option. I'm not looking to pursue a particular career pathway, although I'm hoping to take a teacher training course in the near future and hopefully teach English.

Advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What are your options/what do you like?
Reply 2
Original post by Lwin
What are your options/what do you like?

Honestly, anything will do.

My options are:

Psychology
Business (I've heard this isn't a facilitating subject, so… :|)
English Language
Economics

If there's anything else you believe would be better, I would consider it.
Reply 3
Original post by tacitae
Honestly, anything will do.

My options are:

Psychology
Business (I've heard this isn't a facilitating subject, so… :|)
English Language
Economics

If there's anything else you believe would be better, I would consider it.

They all seem fine. You might also consider History if that interests you, since it fits in with your other choices. You might bear in mind that your choices are all on the humanities side and therefore whether you could keep up/want to do the maths involved in economics or business. I'd go with your gut on what you think you'll find most useful and enjoyable.
Original post by tacitae
Business (I've heard this isn't a facilitating subject, so…

The only subject you have mentioned that is a facilitating subject is English Literature. If this is important to you, you need to think again.

http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf
Reply 5
Original post by Lwin
They all seem fine. You might also consider History if that interests you, since it fits in with your other choices. You might bear in mind that your choices are all on the humanities side and therefore whether you could keep up/want to do the maths involved in economics or business. I'd go with your gut on what you think you'll find most useful and enjoyable.

History doesn't seem so bad, but I don't see myself doing well enough, and giving up halfway through the academic year. I don't know how I'd find economics either…

Would taking both English Language and English Literature be okay?
Reply 6
Original post by Mr M
The only subject you have mentioned that is a facilitating subject is English Literature. If this is important to you, you need to think again.

http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

Thank you. I'm aware the other two aren't facilitating, but I know I'd excel in them because I find them enthralling.

What other subject would you recommend?
Original post by tacitae
I've settled for English Literature, Theology (and Philosophy), and Sociology, but I don't know what I should choose for my fourth course option. I'm not looking to pursue a particular career pathway, although I'm hoping to take a teacher training course in the near future and hopefully teach English.

Advice?

Does your school run Classical Civilisation? If your school has it then I would definitely recommend it as a really interesting, broad subject! The workload is relatively low in comparison with other subjects (like history) and if you like English it should be easy enough for you to be able to get good marks :smile: I was worried originally about it not being facilitating but I have spoken to a Directors of Studies for Law at one of the Cambridge colleges and they said they saw no problem with it over something like history!
Original post by tacitae
History doesn't seem so bad, but I don't see myself doing well enough, and giving up halfway through the academic year. I don't know how I'd find economics either…

I wouldnt do both english language and english literature.
I may be wrong, but ive heard plenty of people against it and apparently it isnt advised. I may be wrong though.
History and economics are both good subjects and are worth considering, but its up to you.
How about geography?
Or maybe a language or a science might be worth looking into- a bit different to your other subjects i know but a bit of a mixture subjects would be fine.
Reply 9
Do Psychology, its really interesting and also is a social science which goes well with sociology.
Original post by Lawandfrench
Does your school run Classical Civilisation? If your school has it then I would definitely recommend it as a really interesting, broad subject! The workload is relatively low in comparison with other subjects (like history) and if you like English it should be easy enough for you to be able to get good marks :smile: I was worried originally about it not being facilitating but I have spoken to a Directors of Studies for Law at one of the Cambridge colleges and they said they saw no problem with it over something like history!

Yes, they do. I might just do that actually. Thank you!
Original post by SharDee
Do Psychology, its really interesting and also is a social science which goes well with sociology.

And the workload? :biggrin: (AQA)
Original post by Emma:-)
I wouldnt do both english language and english literature.

The syllabuses are quite different, but I see where you're going…

History and economics are both good subjects and are worth considering, but its up to you.

Depending on how much time and effort I'm willing to put in, I might consider them.

How about geography?

Absolutely not. XD I'm terrible at geography.

Or maybe a language or a science might be worth looking into- a bit different to your other subjects i know but a bit of a mixture subjects would be fine.

Spanish or Biology. I thought about the two, but I don't think I'd be up for either.

I really appreciate the advice!
I would say- if you aren't someone who really loves history, I wouldn't go near it! Last year I enjoyed it but it took over 50% of my time which seemed ridiculous! Even though it isn't astronomically difficult to get decent grades, it just takes ages and ages to get to the point of knowledge and understanding so that you can actually write an essay. I'm dropping it next ear - can't face coursework and don't want to ruin my other grades by draining all my time on history! Nevertheless it is really rewarding and all - just a lot of effort and if it wasn't one of your initial thoughts, it might be difficult to motivate yourself through the notes and stuff.
I would say- if you aren't someone who really loves history, I wouldn't go near it! Last year I enjoyed it but it took over 50% of my time which seemed ridiculous! Even though it isn't astronomically difficult to get decent grades, it just takes ages and ages to get to the point of knowledge and understanding so that you can actually write an essay. I'm dropping it next ear - can't face coursework and don't want to ruin my other grades by draining all my time on history! Nevertheless it is really rewarding and all - just a lot of effort and if it wasn't one of your initial thoughts, it might be difficult to motivate yourself through the notes and stuff.

Exactly my point. I don't want to spending hours committed to pulling off a decent grade for history, and potentially risking my grades for the other subjects.

How much different is classical civilisation?
Original post by tacitae
Exactly my point. I don't want to spending hours committed to pulling off a decent grade for history, and potentially risking my grades for the other subjects.

How much different is classical civilisation?

It was a similar amount of work to my other subjects (maths and french). Didn't feel excessive! it might depend on what options your school does for it but i can't imagine that it varies too much. We did Greek Tragedy and City Life in Roman Italy (basically Pompeii, Herculaneum and Ostia). For the tragedy we took lots of notes on the texts like you would for English and for the City Life it was more interpreting factual information so wasn't too bad. All made more fun by the gorey drama of Tragedy! Also, languages can be quite facilitating nowadays, but again, you really need to love them!
It was a similar amount of work to my other subjects (maths and french). Didn't feel excessive! it might depend on what options your school does for it but i can't imagine that it varies too much. We did Greek Tragedy and City Life in Roman Italy (basically Pompeii, Herculaneum and Ostia). For the tragedy we took lots of notes on the texts like you would for English and for the City Life it was more interpreting factual information so wasn't too bad. All made more fun by the gorey drama of Tragedy! Also, languages can be quite facilitating nowadays, but again, you really need to love them!

If I did opt for it, the modules would consist of Aristophanes and Athens, Homer: Odyssey, Greek Tragedy and The Aeneid.

I don't know if it's just you making the workload sound relatively easy when it's quite literally, a lot, but I'll definitely consider it. :biggrin:

Thanks again.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tacitae

Original post by tacitae

My friend is doing Literature, Language, Creative Writing and Psychology and she has never been advised against it
Original post by tacitae
If I did opt for it, the modules would consist of Aristophanes and Athens, Homer: Odyssey, Greek Tragedy and The Aeneid.

I don't know if it's just you making the workload sound relatively easy when it's quite literally, a lot, but I'll definitely look consider it. :biggrin:

Thanks again.

It is a lot because it is an A level at the end of the day but it won't be any more than English! Good luck with choosing- it's difficult :smile:
Original post by tacitae
Thank you. I'm aware the other two aren't facilitating, but I know I'd excel in them because I find them enthralling.

What other subject would you recommend?

To become an English teacher? English Language would be an obvious choice.

Quick Reply

Latest