The Student Room Group

A level choices

I've decided to pick History Politics Geography and business for my AS levels i was wondering if these subjects were good for law. Plus any tips for A levels and these subjects in particular
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by Le Boss
I've decided to pick History Politics Geography and business for my AS levels i was wondering if these subjects were good for law. Plus any tips for A levels and these subjects in particular

The first three are, especially the first two. However, I would recommend considering Economics over Business.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're good subjects for law
Maybe sociology instead of geography maybe? And economics instead of business (as above post recommended)

Tips for history - yeah just do a billion practice essays and know the content so well that you can recall it backwards :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Ignore the advice about sociology. Absolute rubbish.

A levels for Law are about showing that you have the academic aptitude for the subject, not providing a knowledge basis for it, so Geography is an excellent foundation for a Law degree. You've got a good set of choices in there. Economics is somewhat more rigorous than Business in terms of the content but it won't count against you if you decide to do it.

You might have things like gaining commercial awareness in your mind if you're wanting to do law. Remember first that that's something you have to worry about more once you're at university than right now, though it's good to start early. Doing a subject like Business is good for gaining some commercial awareness but doing it for A level is no substitute for having a Saturday job or running your Young Enterprise group in school. If that's the reason you're considering the Business A level, then it's a bit of a waste of an A level really. I don't know your reasoning for it, but I would suggest that a subject like Economics would be be better preparation for the academic law degree than Business for A level, with some extracurricular activities such the two aforementioned to demonstrate your range.
I already decided I was choosing chemistry Geography and maths at A level but now I'm considering doing French as I got an A* in it at GCSE but would 4 be too much? Can you still do French as just an AS? I want to take it but I'm scared that if I do 4 I will not do as well as I would do in 3.
Original post by mollie1711
I already decided I was choosing chemistry Geography and maths at A level but now I'm considering doing French as I got an A* in it at GCSE but would 4 be too much? Can you still do French as just an AS? I want to take it but I'm scared that if I do 4 I will not do as well as I would do in 3.

Yes you can still do french as an AS. Most people do 4 in year 12 then drop one in year 13 to focus on the subjects they really want to take to uni

I'm planning to do Psychology, Maths, Biology and Spanish
Original post by Le Boss

Your strongest are History and Geography. Don't drop them!

Politics comes next.

Then lastly business.

I'd drop business for something like Philosophy&Ethics or Economics. Or better yet, do another facilitating subjects( Maths, English Lit, a language. 3 sciences etc.)
Original post by giella
Ignore the advice about sociology. Absolute rubbish.

I said maybe ... I said 'maybe' twice to make it clear that it may not be a good decision. Chill a bit yea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by angelcake123
I said maybe ... I said 'maybe' twice to make it clear that it may not be a good decision. Chill a bit yea

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think there's much about sociology that would merit the use of maybe. Geography is a facilitating subject. Sociology is not. It is ignorant of you to suggest Sociology over Geography if you don't know that and just irresponsible if you do.
Original post by giella
I don't think there's much about sociology that would merit the use of maybe. Geography is a facilitating subject. Sociology is not. It is ignorant of you to suggest Sociology over Geography if you don't know that and just irresponsible if you do.

Irresponsible? Ignorant? Lolwut. :rofl:
You're exaggerating a bit uno
I suggested it because I have been told by many that sociology is a strong subject for law. Whilst geography may be a strong subject, perhaps not so for law. You don't have to agree, just don't get too emotional about it, it's not that deep

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
If you are studying Law at university I suggest studying a humanity or some related to Law as I heard straight Law is boring and closed. I suggest studying a humanity than doing a one year conversion.

At A Level universities look mostly at subjects which look for you opinion such as RS or philosophy and subject which require you to
learn and analyse facts such as History.

Your combination seems to be well suited to whatever you chose to do at university and pretty well suited to Law. The only thing that could be changed is Business for English but it depends what career you want to aim for. If you want to be a barrister I advise English but if you want to be Solicitor, especially in a business I would advise choosing Business over English.
Reply 12
Well, when you've spent your professional life cleaning up after people's bad academic advice, I'd say it's something I do take quite personally, yes.

Irresponsible? Ignorant? Lolwut. :rofl:
You're exaggerating a bit uno
I suggested it because I have been told by many that sociology is a strong subject for law. Whilst geography may be a strong subject, perhaps not so for law. You don't have to agree, just don't get too emotional about it, it's not that deep

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by giella
Well, when you've spent your professional life cleaning up after people's bad academic advice, I'd say it's something I do take quite personally, yes.

It was a suggestion and I'm allowed to give suggestions. I didn't pick sociology. But I know many people who have taken sociology and are at russel group universities studying law. No one will be rejected from a university because they didn't pick 'geography' to study law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
It was a suggestion and I'm allowed to give suggestions. I didn't pick sociology. But I know many people who have taken sociology and are at russel group universities studying law. No one will be rejected from a university because they didn't pick 'geography' to study law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Want to bet?
Original post by giella
Want to bet?

:rofl: :lmfao: I would but I'm not childish.

This discussion clearly is not helping this thread. So why don't you keep your opinions, I keep mine, and you just move on? Is that enough for you to handle?

Quick Reply

Latest