The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Epicurean
Nowhere did I state that money is the only factor.

You have obviously never heard of the term 'chav'. People have no difficultly in pointing out that a person is a chav (working class), from the way they speak, their mannerisms, the way they dress, their accents etc... In fact, we have whole shows dedicated to denigrating this group, for example The Jeremy Kyle Show.

Like I stated, a large percentage of black men and women in the UK also happen to be working class. Can you say with absolute certainty then, that class plays no factor here, and only racism is at play?

Racial discrimination does happen. Nobody can deny that. But the issue here is people ignoring issues of class.

Class is a very important factor. The ignoring of the issues effecting white working class people is one of the greatest reasons for the failure of the parties on the Left recently, and has allowed far right groups like UKIP to jump upon this often ignored demographic and provide a scapegoat for their problems. This "White privilege" generalisation has ultimately led to increases in xenophobia and current negative attitudes towards immigration. I think the failing to acknowledge the importance of class and the generalising of white people as a homogeneous demographic is a problem in need of address.

Once again it seems you've misunderstood what white privilege is.

"Chavs" will still have privileges over their black counterparts. Also ghetto or thug is also used to belittle black people.

You're effectively trying to ignore privileges based on race and justify by claiming class privileges are more important or pressing issues. Both need to be worked on.
Original post by Slipandsquirm
I've always wondered, doesn't a minority depend on where you are?

Does black privilege exist in Africa? What about in china, are black people followed in supermarkets too? (Going back to what an earlier poster said)

Bottom like is sociological study has shown that we are drawn to people similar to us. Yes, a black guy who starts secondary school will be drawn to other black kids. Same with white kids. Same with people of the same height, weight and general look. Race isn't always the major factor by the way. This social evolution that humans have taken make me think that this is how it is everywhere, though of course I haven't personally verified in places like Africa or China. Though one persons experience would mean little anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even though white people in South Africa are the minority,they still have power,and yes that black people are still a majority in Africa,but after years of European colanazation,there are effected in some sort of way,and China does stereotype black people.But every country has its racist people anyways,whether your black,asian ,white or whatever.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 2ne1Aaron

1. Even though white people in South Africa are the minority,they still have power,and yes that black people are still a majority in Africa,but after years of European colanazation,there are effected in some sort of way,and China does stereotype black people

2.But every country has its racist people anyways,whether your black,asian ,white or whatever.

1. The whites who have no power in SA (a significant amount) are hinted and killed. Not a great argument

2. Doesn't that downplay certain areas of 'WP'?.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think white heterosexual middle class men have almost all the privillidges,so if you in this category,and you still deny privilege,I would advise to self reflect on your self and compare your self to others,and try visualise that if weren't none of these things,where would you be and how would you feel,being a minority.

Trouble is is that we can't visualise how it would be to be black or asian or arab or whatever. Just like you can't visualise how it would be (better) being white.

All of us white people were brought into an environment where we would never have to worry about being stop and searched by the police or being denied entry into a shop because of our skin colour. However there are big chances that if we do travel outside of the West, that we are denied some things.

An example of this was when I was in Vietnam (3 years ago now). I was walking through a far less touristy area of Hue and I was denied entry into a restaurant. I obviously don't speak Vietnamese so I didn't undrstand what was going on but eventually the staff got very annoyed at me and pointed ot the door.

I was wearing shorts, t-shirt and my small bag I carry on day trips. Before you ask, it wasn't formal wear.

It's only until later on when I asked the hostel why I had been kicked out that they said, some people here are not found of White folks.

Fact is everyone suffers from discrimination, EVERYONE. Sure some ethnicities may have it slightly harder than others, but as a whole we're closer to equality than we were say 50 or 60 years ago. We still have a way to go of course.
Original post by leinad2012
Again, could you please give examples of when YOU have experienced the effects of "white privilege" or been disadvantaged due to you race//gender/sexuality rather than just blurting random "black people get followed round in shops", speaking from someone who worked in a supermarket for 2 years, I did not see this happen ONCE

Getting followed all the time around shops.

Been stop and searched by police multiple times whether I was wearing a suit or trackies.

People clutching their purses in lifts having to force me to make my self smaller or less "intimidating" to the others. People touching my hair.

My natural Afro hair being called unprofessional

Stopped multiple times by police for being a black teen driving a vehicle and questioned about "how I afforded it"

Facing racist abuse

Facing racial discrimination in housing sector

etc etc

happy?
Original post by ridwan12
Once again it seems you've misunderstood what white privilege is.

"Chavs" will still have privileges over their black counterparts. Also ghetto or thug is also used to belittle black people.

You're effectively trying to ignore privileges based on race and justify by claiming class privileges are more important or pressing issues. Both need to be worked on.

Please do tell us the particular set of privileges chavs have. This might be interesting.
Original post by VotreAltesse
Trouble is is that we can't visualise how it would be to be black or asian or arab or whatever. Just like you can't visualise how it would be (better) being white.

All of us white people were brought into an environment where we would never have to worry about being stop and searched by the police or being denied entry into a shop because of our skin colour. However there are big chances that if we do travel outside of the West, that we are denied some things.

An example of this was when I was in Vietnam (3 years ago now). I was walking through a far less touristy area of Hue and I was denied entry into a restaurant. I obviously don't speak Vietnamese so I didn't undrstand what was going on but eventually the staff got very annoyed at me and pointed ot the door.

I was wearing shorts, t-shirt and my small bag I carry on day trips. Before you ask, it wasn't formal wear.

It's only until later on when I asked the hostel why I had been kicked out that they said, some people here are not found of White folks.

Fact is everyone suffers from discrimination, EVERYONE. Sure some ethnicities may have it slightly harder than others, but as a whole we're closer to equality than we were say 50 or 60 years ago. We still have a way to go of course.

LOLOLOL this post is hilarious.

White privilege exist world wide. Just because you faced discrimination doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
(edited 8 years ago)
Even though white people in South Africa are the minority,they still have power,and yes that black people are still a majority in Africa,but after years of European colanazation,there are effected in some sort of way,and China does stereotype black people.But every country has its racist people anyways,whether your black,asian ,white or whatever.

Haven't you heard that loads of white people are hinted and killed in SA every year? It's becoming something if a genocide. I think you should brush on on your politics too with one political party calling for white genocide.

For your last point I'm in complete agreement. But does this downplay certain types of 'WP'

Posted from TSR Mobile

The difference is that in Vietnam you were looking for a bite to eat and that attitude was not reflective of a wider attitude. You weren't looking for a job and the police weren't trying to detain you because of your race.

It's also because rich white people chose to bomb the utter ****s out of vietnam because of a fear of communism. You couldn't really blame them for holding resentment, especially considering that in east and south-east asian countries, people aren't aware of the precise differences between the british and americans.

It's also a country that isn't especially diverse; in a much more diverse country like the UK intolerances have a much wider and greater effect.
LOLOLOL this post is hilarious.

White privilege exist world wide. Just because you faced discrimination doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Welcome to my ignore list ... I'm done with you.
Please do tell us the particular set of privileges chavs have. This might be interesting.

:rolleyes:
Im not saying there is no such thing as white privilege but I think its been highly overstated.

The Neo-Femininist community on Tumblr and other places like it is really getting out f hand. They claim that a straight white male cant be a victim of anything, ignoring when a white child was hung because he was white. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2283777/Boy-9-hanged-bullied-white.html) And while yes, white people often get a pass on possibly comitting crimes, especially in the US, just look at all the shooting of unarmed black youths and this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0kV_b3IK9M&ab_channel=MandisaOfficial (Apologies for the bad quality)) you cant say that everyone is on equal footing, but its not like white people arent victimized either.
Original post by CrackPuppy
Im not saying there is no such thing as white privilege but I think its been highly overstated.

The Neo-Femininist community on Tumblr and other places like it is really getting out f hand. They claim that a straight white male cant be a victim of anything, ignoring when a white child was hung because he was white. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2283777/Boy-9-hanged-bullied-white.html) And while yes, white people often get a pass on possibly comitting crimes, especially in the US, just look at all the shooting of unarmed black youths and this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0kV_b3IK9M&ab_channel=MandisaOfficial (Apologies for the bad quality)) you cant say that everyone is on equal footing, but its not like white people arent victimized either.

White males yes can be victims of discrimination but white privilege suggests a societal structure whereby white people have privileges based on the race/skin colour.

Having privilege doesn't stop you from being hurt or bullied for example, but claiming it is highly overstated when the majority of white people don't recognise their privilege is wrong.
Original post by Miller_r
You need to look at the stats

I have.
Welcome to my ignore list ... I'm done with you.

awwh :'(

Got no argument?
White privilege does exist but that does not mean that every single white person has the same privilege. In some cases, a small percentage of White people are not privileged but that is no excuse to wholly deny it. The problem with privilege is everybody lets it exist. Those who feel underprivileged do nothing but sit behind computers and re tweet how much they hate it and those who are privileged deny it because they "cant see it" but essentially, they work together to let it exist. If you came to my country, I'd be privileged too. Privilege exists in everything, able are more privileged than disabled, beautiful are more privileged than less physically beautiful (no point denying this, though I don't know what "beautiful" is.) Classy more privileged than trashy and the problem is when people want to use privilege to permit hate. Hating one another won't get rid of this disgusting phenomena that exists, but to deny makes you just the same as those who want to use it to justify hatred because all you are doing is intensifying divisions. People are busy hating each other and there is a reason why media for example, let privilege exist. After all, it is easier for us to hate each other than hate those who constantly wrong us. Hint hint: Power.

Getting followed all the time around shops.

Been stop and searched by police multiple times whether I was wearing a suit or trackies.

People clutching their purses in lifts having to force me to make my self smaller or less "intimidating" to the others. People touching my hair.

My natural Afro hair being called unprofessional

Stopped multiple times by police for being a black teen driving a vehicle and questioned about "how I afforded it"

Facing racist abuse

Facing racial discrimination in housing sector

etc etc

happy?

All of those are things that could not be due to racism;

being followed around shops is something a lot of ethnic minorities complain about but honestly, in my 2 years working in a supermarket I NEVER saw it happen, NEVER.
If you look suspicious in trackies you will often get searched, that being said it definitely can be racism profiling and I won't defend the police on that.
People clutching purses, again something ethnic minorities complain about but something I've never seen.
WAIT, so PEOPLE TOUCHING YOUR HAIR is now racist? ****ing lol, all hairdressers must be racist as fuark....
Afro being unprofessional, yes it can be, in the same way as if I let my hair grow out long it would be unprofessional, it's not that deep brah.
Again, if a white person in trackies was driving around in an expensive car the same would happen although it does probably happen a disproportionately large amount to black people which is wrong.

ANYWAY, NONE of this is to do with white privilege bar the housing sector one, where there is no evidence of this happening at all, the rest are all social aspects that need to be improved
Original post by Guills on wheels

It's also because rich white people chose to bomb the utter ****s out of vietnam because of a fear of communism. You couldn't really blame them for holding resentment, especially considering that in east and south-east asian countries, people aren't aware of the precise differences between the british and americans.

That's just justifying racism and discrimination.

White people could say the same about others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
White males yes can be victims of discrimination but white privilege suggests a societal structure whereby white people have privileges based on the race/skin colour.

Having privilege doesn't stop you from being hurt or bullied for example, but claiming it is highly overstated when the majority of white people don't recognise their privilege is wrong.

There are white privilege conferences attended by thousands of teachers and school district administrators talking about how white people have always been the bad guy and have always had it good.
(http://www.whiteprivilegeconference.com/index.html)
Some parts of the the US military also had to sit trough lectures on White Privilege, which, while I am against military aggression, makes me wonder what the US military are doing. (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/04/05/army-soldiers-sit-through-white-privilege-presentation-and-the-backlash-isnt-pretty/) And while yes, I do agree that white people have been the reapers of benefits in the west, I don't feel like we should have to sit through people telling you how special and privileged you are because of your color, saying that, I also dont think that racism is right, and that racial discrimination is a disgusting crime.

its much like the Male Privilege argument, how women and the colored are so discriminated there needs to be laws to stop it. t appears at the moment colored people and women are given jobs because these companies have a quota for X amount of Y types of people (http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/diversity-quotas-in-the-law-the-issues/5044880.fullarticle) By no means am I saying that these people haven't earned their job, but it seems like some businesses are forced to hire this or that person because racism.

EDIT: Added the source for quouta argument, apologies.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you are a white male, then you are practically at the very top. Go to any other non-white country and you are treated as a king. Even Saudis, who think themselves to be better than every other Arabs and ethnicity, put white people on equal or higher terms. People will treat you better because you are white, and no white people are ever bad or demonised in the news as much as non-whites are they?