The Student Room Group

Accountancy and finance degree HELP ASAP

i am going into year 13, Im going to carry on sociology, politics and economics as i achieved AAB. I was originally going to do sociology and politics at uni but it's not a very respected degree...in the future i was thinking of doing banking or finance

Now I am thinking of doing an accountancy and finance degree. Anyone doing this degree? Whats your view - is it hard? Boring? IS THERE A LOT OF MATHS???

I haven't taken maths or accountancy at alevel so will it be hard? I got a grade B in maths at gcse

Please reply. This is very urgent
It's incredibly dull and dry I heard and in terms of difficulty it can't be that hard, the minimum requirement for most universities is a B in GCSE maths, lots of number crunching and percentages but apart from that it's void of any higher level maths.

Remember you don't have to do an accounting degree to be an accountant, study what you enjoy but make sure you get work experience.
Reply 2
Original post by grassntai
It's incredibly dull and dry I heard and in terms of difficulty it can't be that hard, the minimum requirement for most universities is a B in GCSE maths, lots of number crunching and percentages but apart from that it's void of any higher level maths.

Remember you don't have to do an accounting degree to be an accountant, study what you enjoy but make sure you get work experience.

That's true..do you think a sociology and politics course would be better? I'm doing these at A2 and enjoy them....only problem is what job can i do with the degree
Original post by Prina_R
That's true..do you think a sociology and politics course would be better? I'm doing these at A2 and enjoy them....only problem is what job can i do with the degree

Honestly it's your choice, there is no 'better' degree it's all relative but if you want to work in finance or accounting for the rest of your life then go for the accounting degree because you'll get exemptions from the exams.

I personally want to qualify as an accountant as well but I'm going to do an english degree because I want to become a teacher later down the line or join the civil service. Most degrees don't have a set career path, work experience and internships are what makes your CV attractive.
Original post by Prina_R
i am going into year 13, Im going to carry on sociology, politics and economics as i achieved AAB. I was originally going to do sociology and politics at uni but it's not a very respected degree...in the future i was thinking of doing banking or finance

Now I am thinking of doing an accountancy and finance degree. Anyone doing this degree? Whats your view - is it hard? Boring? IS THERE A LOT OF MATHS???

I haven't taken maths or accountancy at alevel so will it be hard? I got a grade B in maths at gcse

Please reply. This is very urgent

I am currently doing Accounting & Finance at University of Manchester, and I like it. Some of the topics are boring and dull, but they are very useful if you aim to get into those certain fields.

Most people that have no interest in Accounting/Finance would say that it is the most boring course on uni, but if you have an interest in it I believe you would enjoy it.

The accounting modules do not have any hard maths, just simple stuff. There are a lot of maths in Finance, but nothing too bad, as you are dealing with algebra, lots of formulas, derivatives etc. I got equivalent to C and D in maths from A-level (I am an international student), and I am getting 60-70% in my exams in Finance.
Reply 5
Hey!!

I am going into my third year studying Accounting and Finance...Surprisingly not a lot of maths (unfortunately for me as I love it!) As Seaman Demon said some of the topics are dull... but I think it's the same with any degree you will enjoy some parts and curse others! I didn't take Maths at A-level and I haven't struggled. If it's what you want then go for it!!

Good luck with your decision :smile:
Reply 6
Thankyou, I'm deciding on this degree or politics and sociology..this degree will be good to have but I have no clue on any topics. Whereas I do sociology and politics at alevel so I know I won't struggle as much, but it's really hard to find jobs with sociology and politics, this is so stressful lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending