The Student Room Group

Advice for AS/A2 Business Studies

This coming term I'm set to go to Sixth Form to study AQA Business Studies. Can anyone recommend any revision guides, websites, etc for the course?
Reply 1
A look through tutor can be helpful but I can't think of much else, not to sound big headed even though I know it does I got an A* in it this year so if you have any questions just ask
Reply 2
Original post by Detiri17
A look through tutor can be helpful but I can't think of much else, not to sound big headed even though I know it does I got an A* in it this year so if you have any questions just ask

I was just looking for suggestions of any text books, revision websites, etc to use, since I have been set some homework over the holidays that must be completed but I am still really unsure of it though.
Reply 3
Original post by Joosh_
I was just looking for suggestions of any text books, revision websites, etc to use, since I have been set some homework over the holidays that must be completed but I am still really unsure of it though.

Sorry I meant to say Tutor2U as a website example haha what've you got to do?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5

They've come through really small so I can't read them and it's going too blurry when I zoom in? Maybe you could resend them or type out some of the questions if you want any help with them? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Detiri17
They've come through really small so I can't read them and it's going too blurry when I zoom in? Maybe you could resend them or type out some of the questions if you want any help with them? :smile:

Haha yeah they have haven't they? I'm going through them atm, I'll let you know if I have any problems XD
Reply 7
Original post by Joosh_
Haha yeah they have haven't they? I'm going through them atm, I'll let you know if I have any problems XD

Alright :smile: If you need any help with points to write about or structure let me know :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Joosh_
This coming term I'm set to go to Sixth Form to study AQA Business Studies. Can anyone recommend any revision guides, websites, etc for the course?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Business-Studies-Dave-Hall/dp/1405892315/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440704092&sr=8-2&keywords=business+studies+a+level

It helped me a great deal. I was under the WJEC exam board rather than AQA but i'm sure this book will cover everything!
Reply 9
Hodder Education published a series called My Revision Notes which are specific to AQA and my students have found these really useful:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Revision-Notes-Business-Studies/dp/1444152564/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440837642&sr=8-2&keywords=my+revision+notes+business+studies

However, remember that the specifications are changing this term, so the new books will probably not be available yet. If you use any of the existing books I strongly recommend getting them second-hand as that way they're much cheaper and a lot of the information will still be relevant to the new spec. Tutor2u is a superb site for support notes etc, so I'd also go with that for now and wait to see what your tutor recommends once you start the course.
Reply 10
can anyone how hard the business AS Level is ??
Reply 11
Thanks for the responses everyone. I've had a brief look over tutor2u and I've already found some notes that look as if they are going to be really helpful in the coming future.

I need some help with a task that I've been set. It is a list of exam questions that I am expected to answer. I have drafted some answers, but I would like another person to read them and see how they would go.

Q1) Explain two differences between missions and objectives [4 marks]
First of all, a mission is a broad vision of where a business is heading, whereas an objective is a more specific target which must be achieved in order for a business to advance. Secondly, a mission has no set time period and is effective for the life of a business, whilst an objective is strictly time-bound.

Q3) Outline two possible risks if a business such as Sainsbury's sets itself the objective of rapid growth [4 marks]
- Quality of products and service will decrease, leading to decreased customer satisfaction and possibly an increase in customer complaints
- Profits may diminish as more staff are employed and premises are expanded in order to keep up with the demand, because the outgoing costs are greater than the cash flow (is that a correct use of the term?)

Q4) Outline why 'survival' might be the wisest objective for a brand new business [3 marks]
Not too sure on this one.

Q5) Why might a business suffering bad publicity emphasise a new set of ethical objectives? [3 marks]
The answer to this is obvious - to draw away from the bad publicity and to shine a new light on the business. I'm unsure as to how to put this in order to get full marks.

Q6) Outline one strength and one weakness of a business such as Aston Villa FC setting itself objectives for the coming season [4 marks]
Strength - motivates staff to reach the objective maybe?
Weakness - the performance of the business is somewhat unpredictable as the performance of the football club will somewhat dictate how good sales are

As I said, I'm not too sure on these answers, so - ANY HELP?
Reply 12
Original post by Joosh_
Thanks for the responses everyone. I've had a brief look over tutor2u and I've already found some notes that look as if they are going to be really helpful in the coming future.

I need some help with a task that I've been set. It is a list of exam questions that I am expected to answer. I have drafted some answers, but I would like another person to read them and see how they would go.

Q1) Explain two differences between missions and objectives [4 marks]
First of all, a mission is a broad vision of where a business is heading, whereas an objective is a more specific target which must be achieved in order for a business to advance. Secondly, a mission has no set time period and is effective for the life of a business, whilst an objective is strictly time-bound.

Q3) Outline two possible risks if a business such as Sainsbury's sets itself the objective of rapid growth [4 marks]
- Quality of products and service will decrease, leading to decreased customer satisfaction and possibly an increase in customer complaints
- Profits may diminish as more staff are employed and premises are expanded in order to keep up with the demand, because the outgoing costs are greater than the cash flow (is that a correct use of the term?)

Q4) Outline why 'survival' might be the wisest objective for a brand new business [3 marks]
Not too sure on this one.

Q5) Why might a business suffering bad publicity emphasise a new set of ethical objectives? [3 marks]
The answer to this is obvious - to draw away from the bad publicity and to shine a new light on the business. I'm unsure as to how to put this in order to get full marks.

Q6) Outline one strength and one weakness of a business such as Aston Villa FC setting itself objectives for the coming season [4 marks]
Strength - motivates staff to reach the objective maybe?
Weakness - the performance of the business is somewhat unpredictable as the performance of the football club will somewhat dictate how good sales are

As I said, I'm not too sure on these answers, so - ANY HELP?

Why don't u take some hourly help from a good tutor to help you out here! I did the same and got wonderful results out of that. Have emailed u some good links for your help :smile:
So little revision needed, I done GCSE Business Studies, that covers most of AS, then I had to learn the structure of essays for AS Business Studies to see how examiners give out marks and that got me my A with very little to no work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending