The Student Room Group

Student Finance amounts

I live and study in Northern Ireland and live away from home.
I get £6428 from SFNI
However students in England get £7000+
Why is it different for NI students?
Original post by l'insegnante
I get £6428 from SFNI

All the countries have slightly different calcuations depending on their budgets, SFW has the highest i think
I get £6428 from SFNI

They don't all. My child will get £2324 plus £1000 NHS bursary. That's it.
Original post by ViewOnlyMum

That's more than likely a course funded by the NHS though and not the max amount because of household income.

Original post by claireestelle
All the countries have slightly different calcuations depending on their budgets, SFW has the highest i think

Hmmm ok, that's interesting. I was under the impression that all Student Finance was the same amount in the 4 UK countries
That's more than likely a course funded by the NHS though and not the max amount because of household income.

Hmmm ok, that's interesting. I was under the impression that all Student Finance was the same amount in the 4 UK countries

Nope, there was a grand difference between mine and my partners student finance as I m welsh and hes english, I had a 1.5k larger grant amount too so it's not a very fair system to be honest.
Original post by ViewOnlyMum

The nhs expects partners/families to contribute a lot more than normal student finance does it seems, the thresholds are a bit different on the plus side your child won't have 27k of tuition debt so i guess it could be worse.

Indeed it is, the OP said "However students in England get £7000+" - the point I was making is that not everyone gets this amount in England.
Nope, there was a grand difference between mine and my partners student finance as I m welsh and hes english, I had a 1.5k larger grant amount too so it's not a very fair system to be honest.

That's crazy. In SFNI reduced my loan by £1880 because I was getting the max grant :frown:
Reply 8
i think itd be rare to find someone getting over 7k unless the live in central london for uni..
i get most of the loan and grant and together it only gives me 6200

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's crazy. In SFNI reduced my loan by £1880 because I was getting the max grant :frown:

They all do that I think, mine was a £1k reduction possibly more for having the grant but at least you've just gotten a grant before the changes came about it could be worse.
They all do that I think, mine was a £1k reduction possibly more for having the grant but at least you've just gotten a grant before the changes came about it could be worse.

I think I'd rather have the changes and debt tbh :frown:
I do initial teacher training and the cost of placements is awful. My uni insists we dress a certain way, so that costs a bit and then materials and travel on top of that
[QUOTE="ViewOnlyMum;58813729"]

Indeed it is, the OP said "However students in England get £7000+" - the point I was making is that not everyone gets this amount in England.

Yes because I was talking about non NHS full time students.
I think I'd rather have the changes and debt tbh :frown:
I do initial teacher training and the cost of placements is awful. My uni insists we dress a certain way, so that costs a bit and then materials and travel on top of that

my boyfriends doing his pgce this year so i feel for you. Does your uni not offer financial bursaries or anything towards travel? Some degrees need to be clearer about how much their going to cost people before they start really.
my boyfriends doing his pgce this year so i feel for you. Does your uni not offer financial bursaries or anything towards travel? Some degrees need to be clearer about how much their going to cost people before they start really.

We can claim back travel costs but that doesn't help during placements :frown:
They really do. I got a shock last year. I spent around £400+ during placement
We can claim back travel costs but that doesn't help during placements :frown:
They really do. I got a shock last year. I spent around £400+ during placement

Are you able to swap to cheaper alternatives of anything you have to buy at all? or ask the placement why their unable to provide certain things?
I get £6428 from SFNI

Are you talking the tuition fee loan plus the maintenance loan/bursary, or just the maintenance loan?
Are you able to swap to cheaper alternatives of anything you have to buy at all? or ask the placement why their unable to provide certain things?

I go for the cheapest materials such as 3 for 2 and stuff. I was in a really bad school this year though as they were getting ready to move to a newly built school and weren't buying any new materials or anything.
The clothes are so expensive because I buy good ones that will last a few years
I don't drive which means I have to use buses and taxis
Original post by dan_clark
Are you talking the tuition fee loan plus the maintenance loan/bursary, or just the maintenance loan?

I'm talking just the maintenance loan/grant
I go for the cheapest materials such as 3 for 2 and stuff. I was in a really bad school this year though as they were getting ready to move to a newly built school and weren't buying any new materials or anything.
The clothes are so expensive because I buy good ones that will last a few years
I don't drive which means I have to use buses and taxis

Hopefully, you'll get a much better school this year that doesnt sound like they should have expected that from you at all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending