The Student Room Group

HOW do you land a part time job?!

So I've been spending hours on end browsing job sites such as Reed, Indeed, and Gumtree trying to find a part time job and have submitted my CV particularly a lot on Gumtree. I'm not receiving many offers other than marketing jobs which I don't really want to do.. A call centre job would be perfect but none are getting back to me... I have experience on my CV of working in a pharmacy which involves customer service so can someone help me? What is the best way to find a part time job?!

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm 19 btw
Reply 2
McDonald's are always recruiting, and they're very flexible. It's draining work if you do a particularly long shift though, I'm doing 8 hours right now and it kills me.
Reply 3
Original post by jape
McDonald's are always recruiting, and they're very flexible. It's draining work if you do a particularly long shift though, I'm doing 8 hours right now and it kills me.

Aw sorry about that! Thanks for the input :smile:
Trust me, you'd be better aiming for smaller branches and going in to speak to the manager/s :smile:
Original post by tvdfan

You are applying to the lowest quality jobs through the highest volume routes - the numbers are completely against you. You should change your tactic and work harder at applying for fewer jobs, directly with companies.

You are applying for customer service jobs - which 95% of the population can do because the skills are easy to acquire and demonstrate. So avoid the high volume recruiters who present the employer with 200 options so it's more or less a lottery to get selected for interview.

Do some online searches, bookmark recruitment pages of companies and apply directly to the the companies and get ahead of the Gumtree/Reed applicants.
I don't know either. I've been on a gap year and have stopped searching because i'm off to University soon.

I live in a rural area and most young people near me seem to have jobs. I really don't know how though, conpanies ask for crazy experience and jobs are often given to friends.
Find a small business in your area rather than a big store.
Local indian takeaway's will probably hire you as a waiter. Try local fast food shops, they usually don't care about the cv as long as you speak english and can do work.
Reply 9
Original post by threeportdrift
You are applying to the lowest quality jobs through the highest volume routes - the numbers are completely against you. You should change your tactic and work harder at applying for fewer jobs, directly with companies.

You are applying for customer service jobs - which 95% of the population can do because the skills are easy to acquire and demonstrate. So avoid the high volume recruiters who present the employer with 200 options so it's more or less a lottery to get selected for interview.

Do some online searches, bookmark recruitment pages of companies and apply directly to the the companies and get ahead of the Gumtree/Reed applicants.

Hey there. Thanks for the input. Sorry but I didn't completely understand you, are you saying that I shouldn't use websites like gumtree/reed? If so how will I know of any job vacancies, what should I search online? Thanks a lot
Reply 10
Original post by Hazzaj500
Trust me, you'd be better aiming for smaller branches and going in to speak to the manager/s :smile:

Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Find a small business in your area rather than a big store.

Thank you both! So basically just popping in and passing them my CV?
Reply 11
Original post by Frostyjoe
I don't know either. I've been on a gap year and have stopped searching because i'm off to University soon.

I live in a rural area and most young people near me seem to have jobs. I really don't know how though, conpanies ask for crazy experience and jobs are often given to friends.

Sorry to hear that, If I am successful I will try to help you! I'm going on a gap year too but am retaking exams so not looking for a full time position!
Reply 12
Original post by vis break
Local indian takeaway's will probably hire you as a waiter. Try local fast food shops, they usually don't care about the cv as long as you speak english and can do work.

Okay, thank you :smile:
Original post by tvdfan
Hey there. Thanks for the input. Sorry but I didn't completely understand you, are you saying that I shouldn't use websites like gumtree/reed? If so how will I know of any job vacancies, what should I search online? Thanks a lot

I'm saying they are just about the least effective way of finding a job, because of the numbers of applicants and the type of jobs they offer.

You should focus on local companies and jobs that are advertised in shop windows, and directly from company websites. Spend some time book-marking company websites and then keep checking them night after night. Cut out the middleman.

Also network - does every single person you know and that yrou family knows, know you are looking for a job? Keep reminding them, because when they hear of opportunities, if they've been told 3 times that you are looking, they are likely to remember and link you up with the opportunity.
Also, whatever you do, don't accept a zero-hours contract as they never go brilliantly according to friends of mine who've had them.
Original post by sarcasmrules
Also, whatever you do, don't accept a zero-hours contract as they never go brilliantly according to friends of mine who've had them.

What are 0 hour contracts? Being called up for shifts? I would hate that, messed up a good timetable lol
Reply 16
I'm saying they are just about the least effective way of finding a job, because of the numbers of applicants and the type of jobs they offer.

You should focus on local companies and jobs that are advertised in shop windows, and directly from company websites. Spend some time book-marking company websites and then keep checking them night after night. Cut out the middleman.

Also network - does every single person you know and that yrou family knows, know you are looking for a job? Keep reminding them, because when they hear of opportunities, if they've been told 3 times that you are looking, they are likely to remember and link you up with the opportunity.

Thank you very much. That's very nice advice, any ideas what sort of company websites I should be looking at that offer part time positions? :smile:
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
What are 0 hour contracts? Being called up for shifts? I would hate that, messed up a good timetable lol

It means that you don't formally have a shift, you could be asked to come in a few days up to a couple of months in advance. Also it means that there's no set hours you'd be working for.
Original post by tvdfan
Thank you very much. That's very nice advice, any ideas what sort of company websites I should be looking at that offer part time positions? :smile:

Saturday morning, go in to your nearest town, make a note of every single shop in the town. Saturday afternoon, sit at a computer and bookmark the recruitment page or equivalent for every single one of their websites you can find. Repeat on Sunday for the next nearest place you could travel to.
Reply 19
Saturday morning, go in to your nearest town, make a note of every single shop in the town. Saturday afternoon, sit at a computer and bookmark the recruitment page or equivalent for every single one of their websites you can find. Repeat on Sunday for the next nearest place you could travel to.

Thank you, I shall try that :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending