The Student Room Group

Applying to different courses

I am hoping to apply to a chemistry course with spanish but as not all universities offer this course I would be applying to Chemistry only also and maybe a forensic chemistry course. Any advice on how I could add in my Spanish to personal statement to make it relevant to my first course but without seeming irrelevant for the others?
Any advice would be great :-)
See if the uni offering Spanish will accept a separate statement. Otherwise just include a singe short para about it. Most of your statement should be about chem though otherwise you run the risk of coming across as unfocussed or confused.
Original post by erinnmelaugh
I am hoping to apply to a chemistry course with spanish but as not all universities offer this course I would be applying to Chemistry only also and maybe a forensic chemistry course. Any advice on how I could add in my Spanish to personal statement to make it relevant to my first course but without seeming irrelevant for the others?
Any advice would be great :-)

I agree with the above poster, contact the university and ask them if it'd be acceptable to send a separate statement to them. I know when I went to a few open days, a lot of the speakers addressed this issue and seemed fine with it - universities will understand you have five choices and that they're not all identical. It's the same with universities running different modules too; some of them will focus on different aspects of a subject, so fitting personal statements to all of your choices is always somewhat tricky and you have to make it fit to them all. But because Spanish is a different subject and would possibly seem out of place to the universities that don't run the course, it's definitely a good idea to speak to the one that runs Spanish :smile:

You could however talk about Spanish briefly in your personal statement for all of them. What skills have you gained from studying it? Languages are quite cross-curricular and test different skills, so if any skills you've developed are transferable, you could mention them? (As long as it doesn't sound like you're making tenuous links between Spanish and Chemistry).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending