The Student Room Group

Did I pick the right A-levels?

I start my a-levels in September and I chose these:
1. English Literature
2. Biology
3. Maths
4. Fine Art
5. Photography

I really aspire to go to a top university like Oxbridge or, if I continue my photography, Falmouth. Are my a-levels strong enough, especially because I'm heavily considering English at Cambridge? Also, I think I can handle the workload that comes with five subjects, as I'm used to revising everyday and am quite good with time management (I'm used to dedicating 100% of my time to schoolwork).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lookinglens
I start my a-levels in September and I chose these:
1. English Literature
2. Biology
3. Maths
4. Fine Art
5. Photography

I really aspire to go to a top university like Oxbridge or, if I continue my photography, Falmouth. Are my a-levels strong enough, especially because I'm heavily considering English at Cambridge? Also, I think I can handle the workload that comes with five subjects, as I'm used to revising everyday and am quite good with time management (I'm used to dedicating 100% of my time to schoolwork).

Absolutely fine. Very strong. They'll ask for 95% in your best 3 AS Levels, so don't take 5 if it might affect your others. Expect questions about the relationship of art and literature and science and literature.
like Big Blue Machine said, the subjects are fine and very strong. Taking 5 subjects may be a bit much no matter how good you are at managing your time. If you aspire for Oxbridge then you are best taking the top 3 defiantly.

If you are planning to take English at Cambridge then taking History at A-Level would be a good shout, as History and English Literature are both good for doing English at University. But that is just me, do what you think is right, and talk to your teachers about it, they are there to help you as much as they can, as i am sure a student going to Cambridge from their sixth form would give them a bonus or raise :smile: :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest