The Student Room Group

GCSE 'Success' in Physics?

Out of all the sciences, I happen to find it the hardest to grasp physics. I'm about to go into Y10 and start my GCSE courses.
From personal experience, how were/are you able to succeed in physics for GCSEs? What sort of study preparation is needed?
Reply 1
You just have to try your very best to get your head around it. I found that studying chemistry at GCSE really helped with understanding physics because if you think about certain things at a molecular level it's far easier to make sense of it. Anything you do not understand, ASK your teacher to explain it, do your own study at home and by all means, revise it early on so that you aren't left clueless during exam season. Good luck!
Reply 2
from my experience with physics GCSE, I learnt that by simply paying attention (full attention lol) in class will help you more than you think.

A good tip that my science teachers kept giving me (that i stupidly never used), is to just go over everything you learnt that day after school to ensure you've got a solid understanding of what you've just been taught. and if you're still struggling then talk to your teacher and let them explain things in more detail and give you some questions to answer at home to help.

in year 11 i began making notes at home on my iPad of different topics and i think that really helped because i didn't properly revise for my exam (which i now regret, DONT DO IT!) and got an A.. and that was because i had made notes earlier that helped everything to stick.

for preparation, answer questions questions and more questions
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Pandora___
Out of all the sciences, I happen to find it the hardest to grasp physics. I'm about to go into Y10 and start my GCSE courses.
From personal experience, how were/are you able to succeed in physics for GCSEs? What sort of study preparation is needed?

I have just collected my physics GCSE results and I managed to get an A*, like maths at the beginning of the year I was predicted a C. I did work quite hard throughout the year, but it is defo possible. Revision wise for physics my advise would be:
- Learn the equations as and when you get them. If you learn, for example, speed = d/t, make a flash card for it. By the end of the year you will most likely have around 23 equations and they pick up easy marks in the exam, so learn them! I decorated up the equations in pretty little flash card with the formula triangle and units.
- Make easy to read notes, use colours etc
- As you learn something, ask. Make sure you understand as you learn, it makes revising so much easier. Physics relies on understanding key concepts, and I have to say, I didnt realise this until a few weeks before the exam.
- Do past papers, mark them and dont add the results up! Just learn from the mistakes. By the exam I had done every single past paper 1 and 2 ( I did triple science) and marked them, and TRUST ME, the questions just repeat themselves. Once you've learnt the, they all become similar.
Hope this helped, please feel free to PM me and rep if it did help,
Reply 4
Original post by Jaima_
You just have to try your very best to get your head around it. I found that studying chemistry at GCSE really helped with understanding physics because if you think about certain things at a molecular level it's far easier to make sense of it. Anything you do not understand, ASK your teacher to explain it, do your own study at home and by all means, revise it early on so that you aren't left clueless during exam season. Good luck!

Definitely will do, thank you very much!
Reply 5
Original post by Kokoloko
from my experience with physics GCSE, I learnt that by simply paying attention (full attention lol) in class will help you more than you think.

A good tip that my science teachers kept giving me (that i stupidly never used), is to just go over everything you learnt that day after school to ensure you've got a solid understanding of what you've just been taught. and if you're still struggling then talk to your teacher and let them explain things in more detail and give you some questions to answer at home to help.

in year 11 i began making notes at home on my iPad of different topics and i think that really helped because i didn't properly revise for my exam (which i now regret, DONT DO IT!) and got an A.. and that was because i had made notes earlier that helped everything to stick.

for preparation, answer questions questions and more questions

Your advice is very helpful so thanks a lot! Also, congratulations on getting an A anyways :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Annika_x
I have just collected my physics GCSE results and I managed to get an A*, like maths at the beginning of the year I was predicted a C. I did work quite hard throughout the year, but it is defo possible. Revision wise for physics my advise would be:
- Learn the equations as and when you get them. If you learn, for example, speed = d/t, make a flash card for it. By the end of the year you will most likely have around 23 equations and they pick up easy marks in the exam, so learn them! I decorated up the equations in pretty little flash card with the formula triangle and units.
- Make easy to read notes, use colours etc
- As you learn something, ask. Make sure you understand as you learn, it makes revising so much easier. Physics relies on understanding key concepts, and I have to say, I didnt realise this until a few weeks before the exam.
- Do past papers, mark them and dont add the results up! Just learn from the mistakes. By the exam I had done every single past paper 1 and 2 ( I did triple science) and marked them, and TRUST ME, the questions just repeat themselves. Once you've learnt the, they all become similar.
Hope this helped, please feel free to PM me and rep if it did help,

Thank you so much, This was very helpful. I need to start using flashcards!
Reply 7
I got a C (1 mark off a D) in my mock and managed a middle A in exam so remember however bad you think it's going there's still hope :lol:

A fair chunk of unit 2 and part of 3 is all about formula, which are very very simple once you understand it. Make sure you know how to rearrange inside out as you WILL need it!

For your coursework, use as much of your planning sheet as possible and look up past mark schemes. The questions are basically the same every year and it is not too difficult to get 95% or higher

This is a pretty varied opinion and some say they're not worth it, but to me, the CGP books are everything. They don't give you stuff in complete detail, but it's very condensed and I found it to work very well. I just read a page and made notes on it again and again and again. Apparently it only covers content up to C grade but I came out with AAA in science so I assume not.

Also, mygcsescience saved my ass greatly. That guy is a God. Use as many videos as you can find - I know it costs now but if you can't afford it, do some searching I'm sure you can find them
Reply 8
Original post by AdamCee
I got a C (1 mark off a D) in my mock and managed a middle A in exam so remember however bad you think it's going there's still hope :lol:

A fair chunk of unit 2 and part of 3 is all about formula, which are very very simple once you understand it. Make sure you know how to rearrange inside out as you WILL need it!

For your coursework, use as much of your planning sheet as possible and look up past mark schemes. The questions are basically the same every year and it is not too difficult to get 95% or higher

This is a pretty varied opinion and some say they're not worth it, but to me, the CGP books are everything. They don't give you stuff in complete detail, but it's very condensed and I found it to work very well. I just read a page and made notes on it again and again and again. Apparently it only covers content up to C grade but I came out with AAA in science so I assume not.

Also, mygcsescience saved my ass greatly. That guy is a God. Use as many videos as you can find - I know it costs now but if you can't afford it, do some searching I'm sure you can find them

I'm very glad to know you got an AAA in science! Also, coursework has actually been abolished from this year forward and our results are only based on exams (in science also the ISA).

Thank you for the help!
Reply 9
I'm very glad to know you got an AAA in science! Also, coursework has actually been abolished from this year forward and our results are only based on exams (in science also the ISA).

Thank you for the help!

Oh of course it has!!! I feel so sorry for you cos the coursework was basically guaranteed marks! Argh that really sucks.

But no problem :smile: any questions just ask
Reply 10
Original post by AdamCee
Oh of course it has!!! I feel so sorry for you cos the coursework was basically guaranteed marks! Argh that really sucks.

But no problem :smile: any questions just ask

Well the Tories practically hate us GCSE students and will do anything to make sure we fail tbh :/ oh well.

Thanks again!
Your advice is very helpful so thanks a lot! Also, congratulations on getting an A anyways :smile:

you're very much welcome, and thanks, here's to hoping you get higher!:afro:
Thank you so much, This was very helpful. I need to start using flashcards!

For me I printed the specification off, and made a flash card for every point on it,so I understood most of it, then I did every single past paper on the internet.
I'm starting A-Level physics next week, I got an A* at GCSE. It is my favourite subject and I've always done well in it but I think the most important side of it is the maths. No matter what anyone tells you, GCSE physics is easy- you don't have to know anything, you just have to remember it. If you're good at maths then you can work out any of the formulas you'll be needing, for example if you're asked to calculate the speed of something and you didn't know the formula, you can just do:

Speed is given in mph
Mph = m/ph (miles per or divided by hours)
So speed is distance divided by time

You do get the formulas in the exam though, so this won't even be an issue (just a tip in case you forget one). If you're good at maths, then you'll be good at physics- at GCSE, it's just sticking numbers into a calculator and reciting facts.
I got an A* in GCSE physics in year 10.

Firstly, make sure you know your way around the formula sheets. There's a lot of 'easy' marks to be obtained in the mathematical sections of the papers.

Also, study mark schemes religiously. Ensure you know the key words that examiners like to see in your answers, and begin to mentally associate words with answers. Then, as you answer, add relevant key words to your response, mentally adding up the marks you'll be getting.

Sciences at GCSE, from my experience at least, seem to be more about exam technique than raw knowledge. Best of luck!
Reply 15
Original post by CaptainJosh
I'm starting A-Level physics next week, I got an A* at GCSE. It is my favourite subject and I've always done well in it but I think the most important side of it is the maths. No matter what anyone tells you, GCSE physics is easy- you don't have to know anything, you just have to remember it. If you're good at maths then you can work out any of the formulas you'll be needing, for example if you're asked to calculate the speed of something and you didn't know the formula, you can just do:

Speed is given in mph
Mph = m/ph (miles per or divided by hours)
So speed is distance divided by time

You do get the formulas in the exam though, so this won't even be an issue (just a tip in case you forget one). If you're good at maths, then you'll be good at physics- at GCSE, it's just sticking numbers into a calculator and reciting facts.

Thank you for the useful advice. Congratulations on your A* by the way! And good luck at A-Levels.
Reply 16
Original post by Jasaron
I got an A* in GCSE physics in year 10.

Firstly, make sure you know your way around the formula sheets. There's a lot of 'easy' marks to be obtained in the mathematical sections of the papers.

Also, study mark schemes religiously. Ensure you know the key words that examiners like to see in your answers, and begin to mentally associate words with answers. Then, as you answer, add relevant key words to your response, mentally adding up the marks you'll be getting.

Sciences at GCSE, from my experience at least, seem to be more about exam technique than raw knowledge. Best of luck!

Thank you very much! This was very helpful. And well done on your A*!

Quick Reply

Latest