The Student Room Group

Creepy sleep paralysis experience?

Hi, I often suffer from sleep paralysis which at times can be pretty scary but I find them pretty interesting.
For anyone who might not know sleep paralysis when you're unable to move or speak normally when waking up or sometimes falling asleep during this people often see thing and can experience something really creepy which at the time can seem very real. Sorry if I haven't made much sense wasn't sure how to put it.

But if you have experienced any that you have found weird or creepy feel free to share and if would like to hear some of my own feel free to ask.

Scroll to see replies

I've suscribed to this thread.

I've never experienced it myself, but I'm intrigued to find out about peoples experiences. Have you also seen the mysterious dark figure while in sleep paralysis?
Whenever I'm in paralysis I think I'm immortal. But it's still scary. The term you are looking for is definitely not lucid dreaming
Original post by Joey321
Hi, I often suffer from sleep paralysis which at times can be pretty scary but I find them pretty interesting.
For anyone who might not know sleep paralysis when you're unable to move or speak normally when waking up or sometimes falling asleep during this people often see thing and can experience something really creepy which at the time can seem very real. Sorry if I haven't made much sense wasn't sure how to put it.

But if you have experienced any that you have found weird or creepy feel free to share and if would like to hear some of my own feel free to ask.

I would go to the doctors straight away if it occurring frequently you may have a serious medical condition
The one time it happened to me I "saw" goblins in my room strapping me down to my bed the way they do in the old fashioned asylums in movies. This goes with the common sensation of pressure/something sitting on one's chest often reported.

I'm normally a pretty vivid (verging on lucid) dreamer, and I've heard there may be links between lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis.
Reply 5
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I've suscribed to this thread.

I've never experienced it myself, but I'm intrigued to find out about peoples experiences. Have you also seen the mysterious dark figure while in sleep paralysis?

Yes, it was a pretty weird one I just saw a dark shadowy figure of a man standing over my bed watching. the figure did start to move closer talking to me all it said was "Don't be scared" as it started to move closer I couldn't really make out and details of it's their face but as they came forward they just lay on my bed next to me watching me.
This wasn't really one that scared me but I found it weird that I heard it talking so I wasn't really sure what to make of it.
Original post by Joey321
Yes, it was a pretty weird one I just saw a dark shadowy figure of a man standing over my bed watching. the figure did start to move closer talking to me all it said was "Don't be scared" as it started to move closer I couldn't really make out and details of it's their face but as they came forward they just lay on my bed next to me watching me.
This wasn't really one that scared me but I found it weird that I heard it talking so I wasn't really sure what to make of it.

It came and LAID ITSELF DOWN NEXT TO YOU?! Do you think the paralsysis can happen when other people are in the room, and if it does, can you still see them?

Sorry if my questions are silly haha.
Original post by Danno190
The one time it happened to me I "saw" goblins in my room strapping me down to my bed the way they do in the old fashioned asylums in movies. This goes with the common sensation of pressure/something sitting on one's chest often reported.

I'm normally a pretty vivid (verging on lucid) dreamer, and I've heard there may be links between lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis.

I've heard about the correlation between lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis too. Do you think there's anything you're doing that could cause this?
Reply 8

D: yeah I hear about that a lot the pressure on chest and also not being able to breath only experience not being able to breath once I freaked the **** out xD
but that sounds pretty creepy.

Have you ever experienced lucid dreaming and when you experience vivid dreams what kind of things happen do you ever wake up believing any of it just for a few seconds or so? sorry i I'm not making sense I'm pretty tired
Reply 9
It came and LAID ITSELF DOWN NEXT TO YOU?! Do you think the paralsysis can happen when other people are in the room, and if it does, can you still see them?

Sorry if my questions are silly haha.

No not all your questions are fine so don't worry. I don't normally sleep in the same room as anyone but my dog but I normally still see her if she's somewhere I can see her without having to move.
Right, well just by reading through these posts so far means I'm not sleeping tonight
I've heard about the correlation between lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis too. Do you think there's anything you're doing that could cause this?

Well I often (read: almost always) find it hard to switch off, so I suppose it's possible even when asleep I'm not properly fully unconscious. I usually find I can be more tired when waking up than before I went to bed.
Original post by Joey321
No not all your questions are fine so don't worry. I don't normally sleep in the same room as anyone but my dog but I normally still see her if she's somewhere I can see her without having to move.

Does your dog not react while this is going on if she's close by? And why arent you scared by the figure, could you recognize its voice? Did it speak like a normal person?
Original post by Joey321

That's so scary! I had no idea this is what it's like. Do you remember what this man looked like? Can you remember the first time you had sleep paralysis, did you know about it? What is the most scariest one you've experienced? This thread is really interesting :smile:
Well I often (read: almost always) find it hard to switch off, so I suppose it's possible even when asleep I'm not properly fully unconscious. I usually find I can be more tired when waking up than before I went to bed.

What is your sleeping pattern like?
Haven't had it in ages. I kind of miss it :frown:

I used to hear things and feel fear during it but in my most recent ones I just get the paralysis.
Original post by Joey321
D: yeah I hear about that a lot the pressure on chest and also not being able to breath only experience not being able to breath once I freaked the **** out xD
but that sounds pretty creepy.

Have you ever experienced lucid dreaming and when you experience vivid dreams what kind of things happen do you ever wake up believing any of it just for a few seconds or so? sorry i I'm not making sense I'm pretty tired

Kinda, I can normally control whether I turn left or right for example, or think about what to say to someone in a dream before actually saying it to them the way you would in real life. And I'm almost always aware I'm dreaming.

And most days when I wake I often think "Am I awake now?" and then either carry on dreaming even though I may be sitting up in bed for example.

There's also been a couple of times during the day when I've been convinced that something which actually happened was a dream and not real... I've been ignoring this as I don't want to be labelled as reverse-hallucinating or something.
Reply 17
This happened to me only last week. Couldn't move for two minutes or so. I knew exactly what it was though so no panics. It's caused by the body still releasing melatonin from the pineal gland and also some dopamine connection. I often get hypnogogic hallucinations when laying down at night too. The shadow people mentioned could be another pineal gland Phenomenon as this is said to release DMT which is a natural, powerful hallucinogen. Pineal gland is mainly connected with sleep wake cycle so it makes sense. I thought my sleep apneoa episode was worse than the paralysis one. Stopping breathing it somehow more scary than stopping moving. Have you been on any SSRI's or any 'narcolepsy' medication by any chance?
What is your sleeping pattern like?

Often not in bed before 3am, sometimes 4am. And it can take me up to an hour (sometimes more) to get to sleep. Occasionally (few times a month? idk) I'll end up just being on low-power-consumption instead of actually sleeping.

So in a word, crappy.
I used to suffer from this a lot in the past, such an awful thing. It started off with me just not being able to move but I could see my surroundings, I always thought it was a dream. Then things got disturbing when I started to feel pressure on different parts of my body and feeling light breathing across my face or down the back of my neck. Then I started seeing dark figures that would just stand in front of me. Only one time did I ever see a face and honestly I cried a little when I got out of it. Usually I coped with it because after a while I learnt how to calm myself down and also get out of it quicker. But the one time I saw that face I was terrified to sleep for weeks. I had a little nap one evening around 6/7, and when I went into it I literally felt as if someone has pushed down the extra pillow behind me, then I felt breathing on my neck. I managed to turn around somehow and I kid you not I saw a man sitting on my desk chair smiling at me. I couldn't scream, I couldn't move or do anything. I was just crying on the inside until eventually it went away. Whenever I got out of the sleep paralysis I would always have this weird feeling as if something has just escaped from my body... Very strange and I am so thankful I don't experience this anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest