The Student Room Group

Article: Getting a job at 16

Scroll to see replies

lolllll
A good one for UK college students is Sports Direct but they can be a pain sometimes.
Original post by TheSmartScouser
A good one for UK college students is Sports Direct but they can be a pain sometimes.

Thanks I might go there now. Do you have to have experience before you go there? Can i go there for my first job? Just a weekend thing. :smile:
Yeah no experience required
Reply 5
Thanks a lot, I have worked before, but this time it'll be 'official', I'm hoping to go into Tesco or Sainsbury, I've sent my CV off to a tesco braunch and they yet to get back to me, I highly doubt they'll accept me though
I'm sorry it just really annoys me when people walk into their jobs because of a family member/friend recommended them.

Yes, some of these people deserve it, but what about all the people that don't have connections and find it really hard to get a job - so unfair.

Life is unfair :mad:
Reply 7
Original post by rp123education
I'm sorry it just really annoys me when people walk into their jobs because of a family member/friend recommended them.

Yes, some of these people deserve it, but what about all the people that don't have connections and find it really hard to get a job - so unfair.

that's how life is bro
Reply 8

I've been actively looking for a part time job for months and months (applying online, handing in CV's etc) My best friend said she 'didn't need the money' and stayed in and sat on her bum all day, and all of a sudden her uncle's given her a job that'll see her rack up £800 by the end of summer!

I don't have any contacts like that so I just have to keep doing things the old fashioned way, and it really sucks.
Original post by Cari98
I've been actively looking for a part time job for months and months (applying online, handing in CV's etc) My best friend said she 'didn't need the money' and stayed in and sat on her bum all day, and all of a sudden her uncle's given her a job that'll see her rack up £800 by the end of summer!

I don't have any contacts like that so I just have to keep doing things the old fashioned way, and it really sucks.

Hi,

I feel sorry for you. We will be better off the hard workers in the end, just keep persevering.

Good luck and all the best for your future :smile:
Reply 10
Hi,

I feel sorry for you. We will be better off the hard workers in the end, just keep persevering.

Good luck and all the best for your future :smile:

I sure hope we will be!:biggrin: Good luck to you too!!
Reply 11
anyone had any success yet?
nope not yet haha!
I'm 17 now and I've been looking for a job for nearly two years. Two.. years. T-t- TWOOOO. I try and use online help but I never copy and paste templates, and I always change my cover letter to appear more suitable for that particular job. Then I have friends "Oh, I applied once and got the job straight away.. YAY ME!". I've probably sent over 50 applications. What am I doing wrong?

I know i agree with you :frown::unimpressed:

Totally agree. People like me who care about their future have spent months looking for a job however some people make no effort at all and get a job without raising a finger :angry:
I've been looking for a job for so long. I'm only 16 but I don't have any GCSE results due to not being able to go to school for personal reasons. This means I have no qualifications. I've applied for many jobs in little shops around my town but they all say the same thing 'you need experience' but how can I get experience without getting a job in the first place. I've even tried to do voluntary work in local charity shops but nothing was successful. Anybody have any ideas of what sort of places would take on a 16 year old with no experience?
Original post by Cari98

It's not what you know...
Original post by PeytonWilliams
I've been looking for a job for so long. I'm only 16 but I don't have any GCSE results due to not being able to go to school for personal reasons. This means I have no qualifications. I've applied for many jobs in little shops around my town but they all say the same thing 'you need experience' but how can I get experience without getting a job in the first place. I've even tried to do voluntary work in local charity shops but nothing was successful. Anybody have any ideas of what sort of places would take on a 16 year old with no experience?

Oxfam took let my sister (14) start volunteering straight away, as did the RSPCA charity shop with me (17). I discovered that contacting them via email on their website never works, you actually have to go in and directly ask the people in charge.

If you are looking for a job as opposed to volutary work, Sue Rider is a good charity shop to try -that's all I can think of... its tough out there :frown:
I've recently been offered a job at my local Vue Cinema and was just wondering if anyone else that's worked there/works there knows if you can choose your hours (as both my parents work and might need me to babysit my younger brother and sister, as they sometimes work late also I'm about to start my A levels too).

Also if it's possible could someone tell me what the uniform is like such as shoes and bottom requirements (i know they give a branded shirt and hat).

Thanks in advance ☺️
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending