The Student Room Group

I want to study Architecture at Cambridge

I got 5A's and 6B's in GCSE. An A in English Lit, B in English Language and Maths. I was just wondering do I still have a chance of getting in? I'm going to start my A-levels soon and I know I'm going to try my hardest to get the best A Level grades I can possibly get. So I was just wondering because of my GCSE grades does it mean I can't go Cambridge?
Although I would recommend taking advice on this from strangers on the internet with a pinch of salt, from what I have heard from admission tutors Cambridge is *slightly* more forgiving than Oxford in terms of GCSE grades. Both universities will look at GCSE's in your application, however if you go on to get AS results with a high UMS (there's no requirement but word on the street is ~90% UMS) then you still have a chance at Cambridge yes.
Original post by maccaism
I got 5A's and 6B's in GCSE. An A in English Lit, B in English Language and Maths. I was just wondering do I still have a chance of getting in? I'm going to start my A-levels soon and I know I'm going to try my hardest to get the best A Level grades I can possibly get. So I was just wondering because of my GCSE grades does it mean I can't go Cambridge?

How probable can you get A* with very high UMS in Maths? That's the minimum entry requirement and many of Architecture candidates apply with much higher grades. Also, you'll need a good portfolio to be a competitive candidate. Are you doing any Art in A-level?

Architecture at Cambridge is a very small department and it's one of the most competitive course to get in.
Also, their course is much more academic/theoretical than many of other universities. If that's what you like, that's good but if not, Cambridge may not be a right place for you to read architecture.
I know several Architects (recent graduates and other with many years of career in industry) around me, and they did not choose Cambridge because they preferred a more practical course.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by vincrows
How probable can you get A* with very high UMS in Maths? That's the minimum entry requirement and many of Architecture candidates apply with much higher grades. Also, you'll need a good portfolio to be a competitive candidate. Are you doing any Art in A-level?

Architecture at Cambridge is a very small department and it's one of the most competitive course to get in.
Also, their course is much more academic/theoretical than many of other universities. If that's what you like, that's good but if not, Cambridge may not be a right place for you to read architecture.
I know several Architects (recent graduates and other with many years of career in industry) around me, and they did not choose Cambridge because they preferred a more practical course.

Yes that's why I chose Cambridge because I prefer the academic/theoretical side. As for A-Levels I chose Maths Physics Art and English lit.

Also are you now an Architect? Because I'd like to ask some questions.
Original post by maccaism
Yes that's why I chose Cambridge because I prefer the academic/theoretical side. As for A-Levels I chose Maths Physics Art and English lit.

Also are you now an Architect? Because I'd like to ask some questions.

That's good then.:smile:
Sorry I'm not a student.
Good luck with your A-levels. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by vincrows
That's good then.:smile:
Sorry I'm not a student.
Good luck with your A-levels. :smile:

Ohh, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending