The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1760
Do the admission people have access to information about your highschool context and your gcse average amongst other students from your school? Or is this something you have to find out yourself?
Original post by monkeyboy18000
Don't listen to him. Oxford look at your GCSE results in comparison to your whole school. So if you are getting the highest GCSE results in your school, you definitely are a strong candidate.

I get the impression that you get lots of consideration if you school is genuinely bad, with a very low A*-C rate, or if you're from a very deprived area. Just being the best in your school does not necessarily mean you get any special consideration though.

It does make a difference, but the bottom line is that very few get in with that proportion or number of A*. You're gambling on being in a tiny sliver of the bar chart below.

Also, there are a lot of people who have got into Oxford with less than 7 A*'s.

Not that many in recent years:

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/images/study/medicine/number-a-at-gcse

There's no harm in applying!

For medicine you've only got 4 options and with >60 percent of applicants getting no offers at all, I'd argue considering each choice is absolutely vital.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1762
How lenient would Oxford be if I were lucky enough to be given an interview but then tried to mess with the given dates? Basically, for my course the days are all day Wednesday, Thursday and Friday but I have school-related commitments on the Thursday and Friday afternoons which I would not be able to get out of (and which I wouldn't want to get out of anyway.) If I had a letter signed by my headmistress and parents would they consider doing all my interviews on the Wednesday (and even early Thursday morning?) Or on different days?
If not I have no idea what I'd do: go to the interviews and forget my commitments, forget about Oxford, or apply again next year...
PS I am not assuming I will get an interview, far from it. Just planning ahead in case :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucyx
How lenient would Oxford be if I were lucky enough to be given an interview but then tried to mess with the given dates? Basically, for my course the days are all day Wednesday, Thursday and Friday but I have school-related commitments on the Thursday and Friday afternoons which I would not be able to get out of (and which I wouldn't want to get out of anyway.) If I had a letter signed by my headmistress and parents would they consider doing all my interviews on the Wednesday (and even early Thursday morning?) Or on different days?
If not I have no idea what I'd do: go to the interviews and forget my commitments, forget about Oxford, or apply again next year...
PS I am not assuming I will get an interview, far from it. Just planning ahead in case :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They would not re-arrange for school commitments. The only time I believe they would re-arrange the interviews is for extreme circumstances.

Are the school commitments really that important? No offence - but the interviews are three days of the whole year. I'm guessing the commitments must be very important if you're considering delaying your whole start of university for a year just to attend them?
Original post by lucyx
How lenient would Oxford be if I were lucky enough to be given an interview but then tried to mess with the given dates?

Absolutely 0 leniency. Its organisational hell anyway with hundreds of tutors and many thousands of interviewees. They will have absolute minimal flexibility.

I do have to congratulate you on having another opportunity that you consider equivalent to an Oxford interview - must be an amazingly unfortunate strike of luck that you have two life changing opportunities coming up on the same day!
Original post by Gerald DGrilla
Do you mind if I ask in which subjects he missed the A*s?

English and history but they may go up!
Reply 1766
Original post by nexttime
Absolutely 0 leniency. Its organisational hell anyway with hundreds of tutors and many thousands of interviewees. They will have absolute minimal flexibility.

I do have to congratulate you on having another opportunity that you consider equivalent to an Oxford interview - must be an amazingly unfortunate strike of luck that you have two life changing opportunities coming up on the same day!

Original post by Lucilou101
They would not re-arrange for school commitments. The only time I believe they would re-arrange the interviews is for extreme circumstances.

Are the school commitments really that important? No offence - but the interviews are three days of the whole year. I'm guessing the commitments must be very important if you're considering delaying your whole start of university for a year just to attend them?

Thank you for your responses. The school commitments are 1. The carol service, in which I am a chorister and, as Head Girl, the only student reader and 2. The school play, in which I am playing a main part. Of course I was not underplaying the importance of an Oxford interview. Rather, I was just questioning whether there was any leniency at all. Too optimistic, I know.

The deadline is October 15. Approximately when would you find out if you were invited for an interview? Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucyx
Thank you for your responses. The school commitments are 1. The carol service, in which I am a chorister and, as Head Girl, the only student reader and 2. The school play, in which I am playing a main part. Of course I was not underplaying the importance of an Oxford interview. Rather, I was just questioning whether there was any leniency at all. Too optimistic, I know.

The deadline is October 15. Approximately when would you find out if you were invited for an interview? Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it would be more likely for your school to rearrange the dates of the service/play.. i'm guessing you are not the only one that is applying to Oxford and would potentially have interview dates on those days, and at the end of the day your interview is a hell of a lot more important!

I'm sure the admissions tutor will love you for making him reschedule an interview so you can sing Away in the Manger, but oh well.
Original post by nexttime
I get the impression that you get lots of consideration if you school is genuinely bad, with a very low A*-C rate, or if you're from a very deprived area. Just being the best in your school does not necessarily mean you get any special consideration though.

It does make a difference, but the bottom line is that very few get in with that proportion or number of A*. You're gambling on being in a tiny sliver of the bar chart below.

Not that many in recent years:

For medicine you've only got 4 options and with >60 percent of applicants getting no offers at all, I'd argue considering each choice is absolutely vital.

Source quote please
Original post by Eux
I think it would be more likely for your school to rearrange the dates of the service/play.. i'm guessing you are not the only one that is applying to Oxford and would potentially have interview dates on those days, and at the end of the day your interview is a hell of a lot more important!

I'm sure the admissions tutor will love you for making him reschedule an interview so you can sing Away in the Manger, but oh well.

Original post by lucyx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Usually at least two weeks before the interview - so it can be as late as the end of November.

Cheers, PRSOM.

Where in Oxford is considered the centre? I.e where is the main hub of shops, clubs, coffee shops/cafes or just the most popular place for students in Oxford?
Original post by lucyx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found out 1st December (interviews were 15th-17th), so around a fortnight before.
Original post by lucyx

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only time I've heard of interviews rejuggling requests being taken into consideration is for music students who are applying to conservatoires (who always schedule their auditions the same time. The two of them always insist the other has to budge. Quite stressful when you're an applicant trying to both :eek: ). I don't think they would be flexible with your commitments, though I really do appreciate how important both of those are to you (being a muso and having stage managed plays, etc) :hugs:

I only heard about 8 days before my interviews, but that was back in 2006...
Original post by Eux
Cheers, PRSOM.

Where in Oxford is considered the centre? I.e where is the main hub of shops, clubs, coffee shops/cafes or just the most popular place for students in Oxford?

Carfax is considered the city centre (the junction where High Street meets Cornmarket and St Aldate's). The main shops (depending on where you like to shop) are on Cornmarket, High Street and... I think it's called Queens Street/Road? Wherever the Westgate shopping centre is anyway :biggrin:
Am I seriously the only one representing the History (Ancient and Modern) course? I'm somewhat relieved bc low competitiveness, but...well, I doubt I'll get in anyway but this is interesting.

I had extenuating circumstances and my GCSEs were awful - I'm waaaaaaay below Oxford standard.
So this should be interesting to see if I get in! :')
Original post by aprocrastinator
English and history but they may go up!

Biggies.
Original post by imsomeone
Thank you very much that is a relief. But I am not going to follow with the British curriculum and I am going to change school to do the Spanish one to the `Bachillerato de Excelencia´ as I think I will stand a better chance as they do extra math and physics courses, an obligatory project to help the grade and investigate whatever you want, they have awesome teachers and they give all sorts of conferences so I think it is a nice opportunity to fill my PS of physics and math related stuff..:biggrin:.the only thing is I dont get the chance to do FM..:frown: But im self studying math As.
By the way awesome results you´ve got there. What subjects are you doing? Dropping any? How´s the PAT going, I tried some math questions at the beginning of the year and didnt seem extraordinarily hard...
Good luck with everything :smile:

I have done AS-level physics, maths (teaching myself), media, music technology, and geography. I'm planning to drop geography (and probably music technology), and do all of further maths in a year.

I'm definitely making progress with the PAT. It's nice to be forced to think rather than regurgitate facts, as in A-levels. :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm not but I'm (college) married to one of the Director's of Chapel Music :love: Good luck - wishing you all the best :biggrin:

Aha, thank you :biggrin:
I need all of the help I can get..
Original post by LamantChenille
Aha, thank you :biggrin:
I need all of the help I can get..

Which one (choral v organ) are you applying for and what's your first choice Oxford college? :biggrin: Do you know which other colleges you'll be auditioning at? :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending