The Student Room Group

Will the real TeeEm please stand up!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fatart123
Bloody hell, I wish I could computing at least 'mathsy'... My teacher in fm said that she could teach us D1 in a few lessons, so at least it'll be minimum effort for 'minimum :wink:' marks.

Yeah, M3 is pretty good but I felt like it was still kinda set back. I would not have been allowed to do M4 instead of S2, but I did look at some M4 + M5 stuff and it's so much better than even M3.

Hopefully I'll have 4 :smile:

:biggrin: At least it will all be over quickly then :wink:

Ah ok, cant wait.

What University are you going to, out of interest?
I've just tried Q15 on Special Paper X. I cannot seem to get the same answer as you, TeeEm. I ended up with d=8π232π+32328π+π2 d = \sqrt{\frac{8\pi^2 - 32\pi +32}{32-8\pi + \pi^2}}.
P.S. Just done Q17 on X - a lovely question (quick too!). Also, could you recommend a textbook that is good for more interestingly challenging problems, like these? I've always wondered how you come up with the ideas for these questions.
(edited 8 years ago)
I just realised that I've done all the pure modules over the summer - now I've only got applied left :cry2:

I used to love applied problems, but these days I just can't seem to get my head around questions written in full English and not maths jargon

Do you think it's worth doing a bit of group theory?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1323
Original post by A Slice of Pi
I've just tried Q15 on Special Paper X. I cannot seem to get the same answer as you, TeeEm. I ended up with d=8π232π+32328π+π2 d = \sqrt{\frac{8\pi^2 - 32\pi +32}{32-8\pi + \pi^2}}.
P.S. Just done Q17 on X - a lovely question (quick too!). Also, could you recommend a textbook that is good for more interestingly challenging problems, like these? I've always wondered how you come up with the ideas for these questions.

the expressions are very similar so one of us must have made a silly error and that includes a possible typo on my part.

It will be at least a week until I do the solution to that question but I will let you know of the outcome.

Book I do not know ... I have many books for which I draw ideas or even "steal"

when the 26 papers are ready you will have 26 x 20 =520 questions which is more than a book.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1324
Original post by Johann von Gauss
I just realised that I've done all the pure modules over the summer - now I've only got applied left :cry2:

I used to love applied problems, but these days I just can't seem to get my head around questions written in full English and not maths jargon

Do you think it's worth doing a bit of group theory?

I do not know who you are asking ...
Me and pure maths do not get on so group theory is not my thing ...
There are other topics on advanced mathematical methods that you can try which resemble A level work, only more advanced.
Original post by TeeEm
I do not know who you are asking ...
Me and pure maths do not get on so group theory is not my thing ...
There are other topics on advanced mathematical methods that you can try which resemble A level work, only more advanced.

Well, I know you have some 'Advanced Topics' on your website (which is a great resource, I am hugely grateful to you for it), and of course I am working through STEP I&II papers and some BMO problems, but the problem is I need to learn a new pure topic, just as a break from all the applied stuff with M4, M5 and A2 Physics, and the old STEP I papers got me interested in group theory.

P.S. Who says I was asking anyone? I might simply have been talking to myself...
Reply 1326
Original post by Johann von Gauss
Well, I know you have some 'Advanced Topics' on your website (which is a great resource, I am hugely grateful to you for it), and of course I am working through STEP I&II papers and some BMO problems, but the problem is I need to learn a new pure topic, just as a break from all the applied stuff with M4, M5 and A2 Physics, and the old STEP I papers got me interested in group theory.

P.S. Who says I was asking anyone? I might simply have been talking to myself...

There are enough purists here to assist you with choice of pure topics.
Number theory seems interesting.
Hi TeeEm,

Could you help mark a C3 question for me. I've already sent you two emails but they're not showing up in my sent emails. I would be so grateful if you could mark the question as it makes the difference as to whetheri go to uni or not. Thanks
Reply 1328
Original post by student050996
Hi TeeEm,

Could you help mark a C3 question for me. I've already sent you two emails but they're not showing up in my sent emails. I would be so grateful if you could mark the question as it makes the difference as to whetheri go to uni or not. Thanks

I am not a qualified marker but I can look at it tomorrow and just give you my opinion

post the question and the marking scheme and I will look at it.
Thanks. The PDF I've posted contains the question, my answer and marking scheme.
Thanks. The PDF I've posted contains the question, my answer and marking scheme.

How many markd did you get per section?
I don't want to say in case it creates bias. but if it is important to know i can
Original post by Gilo98
:biggrin: At least it will all be over quickly then :wink:

Ah ok, cant wait.

What University are you going to, out of interest?

Warick Wawick Warwick
Warick Wawick Warwick

:biggrin: Warwick looks great for maths!
Reply 1334

I think this question should be full marks or harshly 9/10 range given in decimal (last mark of part b where the marking scheme is corrupted and I cannot see the notes)
Original post by Gilo98
:biggrin: Warwick looks great for maths!

Ta, what two letters of COWI will you be choosing? :smile:
I don't want to say in case it creates bias. but if it is important to know i can

Original post by TeeEm
I think this question should be full marks or harshly 9/10 range given in decimal (last mark of part b where the marking scheme is corrupted and I cannot see the notes)

Hmmm, could be that it doesn't make it clear about that x=0 solution being explicit. That said, I am finding it bloody difficult to read the mark scheme :erm:
i can put on the orginal mark scheme. Can I just say: THANKY YOU SO MUCH for marking it
Ta, what two letters of COWI will you be choosing? :smile:

Cambridge and Imperial, if I've understood your question properly :smile:
C3 Mark Scheme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending