The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1640
Original post by yanjac
Hey everyone!

I'm applying for the GEM 2016 entry and wanted to get some of your thoughts and advice on this matter (eek!).
Just graduated with a first from KCL in Biomedical sciences and my Alevels grades are A*ABa and GCSEs are 4A*s, 4As and 2Bs. Starting a MSc course in October at UCL too.
I've got my UKCAT coming up really soon but if it all goes to plan, I'm thinking about applying to King's, Warwick, Birmingham and Barts! But I'm pretty worried about this as I've never really done amazingly on the UKCAT - last time I did it, I averaged 640 which is :/ For those of you have done it recently, any great tips??

Good luck to everyone applying too! :smile:

Consider Bristol, though confirm with them that you meet the degree requirements.

Original post by Emily Thorne
Hello everyone! Hope applications are going well so far! Quick question to anyone whose done a Masters or thinking of doing it as a plan B.

How are you going to pay the tuition fees ? I'm assuming student finance don't help, am I right ?

I haven't really looked into it but it's an option I want to look in to. Please give me any advice or info you have to help me with my decision.

Thanks in advance :-)

Though in the past there has been financial support, 2016 entry has yet to receive this. For the past few years funding arrangements have been extended to cover the following year, such that announcements have been made quite late but even this is bordering on peculiar with it being this late and no word from SFE, HEE, BMA etc.
Original post by yanjac
Hey everyone!

I'm applying for the GEM 2016 entry and wanted to get some of your thoughts and advice on this matter (eek!).
Just graduated with a first from KCL in Biomedical sciences and my Alevels grades are A*ABa and GCSEs are 4A*s, 4As and 2Bs. Starting a MSc course in October at UCL too.
I've got my UKCAT coming up really soon but if it all goes to plan, I'm thinking about applying to King's, Warwick, Birmingham and Barts! But I'm pretty worried about this as I've never really done amazingly on the UKCAT - last time I did it, I averaged 640 which is :/ For those of you have done it recently, any great tips??

Good luck to everyone applying too! :smile:

I would be careful re: King's. If I remember correctly, santi_92 applied there for this year, He is/was doing an MSc (at KIng's) and they didn't offer him a place for this year as they insist it is finished in August. Most are not totally complete until September.

Oh, just found this....

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2850667&page=25&highlight=&p=54551941#post54551941
(see post 492)

I agree with Zorg, that it may be an idea to consider Bristol. (No entrance test) and providing your B at A level isn't in Chemistry, you look to be a strong candidate.

Good luck wherever you decide to apply.
(edited 8 years ago)
I just wrote my UKCAT and got the following scores:

VR: 790
QR: 810
AR: 620
DA: 700
SJ: Band 1

I'm in my final year of a biochemistry degree and am predicted a 2:1, how do you think this will fare for GEM? Cheers, Caitlin!
Original post by renoufcaitlin

I'm in my final year of a biochemistry degree and am predicted a 2:1, how do you think this will fare for GEM? Cheers, Caitlin!

Well done!

Newcastle
The minimum UKCAT score for interview last year was 2910

Warwick
The lowest UKCAT ..........2800
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/study/ugr/applying/entryreqs/

KCL
Top 25%

No idea for the others, you would have to search for that information
Original post by renoufcaitlin

I'm quite similar to you!
VR:820
QR:770
AR:680
DA:720
Band 2
Predicted a first in Physiology and Pharmacology. I think we've got a pretty good shot at an interview!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tw781
Hey guys do any of you have an tips for timing for QR?
Also I'm struggling to find patterns easily (I used to be good at it, now I'm not) any help?? My exam is on Monday, and mock C I didn't even get above 700 due to running out of time. Did anyone else struggle with the AR on this mock?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did it go?
Is there a time limit in which your work experience (shadowing ,volunteering etc) should be within?

Let's say you're applying for 2020 entry (assuming GEM still exists then) ,will shadowing you did in 2015/2016 count or will it be too outdated?

Good luck everyone applying this year!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NellyMelly
Is there a time limit in which your work experience (shadowing ,volunteering etc) should be within?

Let's say you're applying for 2020 entry (assuming GEM still exists then) ,will shadowing you did in 2015/2016 count or will it be too outdated?

Good luck everyone applying this year!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will most likely be a bit outdated. Most unis like to see work experience from within the last 2 years.
Original post by Mr Men
It will most likely be a bit outdated. Most unis like to see work experience from within the last 2 years.

Cheers:smile:
Is that 2 years from when the application is sent or 2 years from entry date/month?
Sorry for the questions haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NellyMelly
Cheers:smile:
Is that 2 years from when the application is sent or 2 years from entry date/month?
Sorry for the questions haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Within two years of application :smile:
Original post by Mr Men
Within two years of application :smile:

Thank you! Looks like I've got a lot of work to do! Yay! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1651
Hi everyone,
Apologies if this has been discussed before! I have just noticed that Barts have changed how they rank applicants, now giving 50% weighting to ukcat and 50% to academic achievement. I was just wondering if anyone has any other info on what counts as academic achievement? Does it just mean that you get more points if you have a first?
Reply 1652
Original post by axc247
Hi everyone,
Apologies if this has been discussed before! I have just noticed that Barts have changed how they rank applicants, now giving 50% weighting to ukcat and 50% to academic achievement. I was just wondering if anyone has any other info on what counts as academic achievement? Does it just mean that you get more points if you have a first?

More points if you have an MSc PhD etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by B1525

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would a 2:1 master's be better than a first degree?
Original post by wciselko
Would a 2:1 master's be better than a first degree?

Original post by B1525

Posted from TSR Mobile

First > PhD > Masters > 2:1
Original post by ali.s1002
First > PhD > Masters > 2:1

But how is a 1st better than a PhD?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Massively gutted.

Did my UKCAT today and only got 682.5 average.

Looks like goodbye to GEM and a possible hello to 5 year courses...
Original post by HCAssistant93
But how is a 1st better than a PhD?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesnt make sense that Master would be worse than a Bachelor to me. How do you know this ?
I had to have a frist in order to do the masters - so that means by doing master I did not improve my application, but made it worse?
Original post by kaz297
Massively gutted.

Well done though! Still a really good score. I am a grad too! I got 667.5 so not far off. Where are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kaz297
Massively gutted.

With that I would take a stab at Warwick. It's a little low but it does seem people are scoring a little lower this year (based on subjective analysis of TSR posts, who tend to overachieve!)

What was your VR?

Quick Reply

Latest