The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HCAssistant93
Well done though! Still a really good score. I am a grad too! I got 667.5 so not far off. Where are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done to you too!

Well I'm still going to chance Soton, as apparently they no longer have a cut off score...
And either: Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow, Keele.

Would have loved Warwick, but I don't think I have a chance!

How about you?
Original post by kaz297
Massively gutted.

Did my UKCAT today and only got 682.5 average.

Looks like goodbye to GEM and a possible hello to 5 year courses...

If you don't mind me asking, how're you planning to fund the five year course? I'm worried I may not get good enough ukcat for gem!
Original post by MJK91
With that I would take a stab at Warwick. It's a little low but it does seem people are scoring a little lower this year (based on subjective analysis of TSR posts, who tend to overachieve!)

What was your VR?

Thanks!

VR was my worst at 550. Did not expect that at all.
QR - 830
AR - 680 - I expected much better, as all mocks have been around 800
DA - 670 - Much better than I hoped, as most mocks were around 600!
Original post by Richardjamesford
If you don't mind me asking, how're you planning to fund the five year course? I'm worried I may not get good enough ukcat for gem!

A little savings, and a lot of charity funding I'm hoping!! Have a look at the Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding... might help.

Also, Dundee and Glasgow offer decent bursaries, even to graduates (I think!)
Reply 1664
Has anyone started writing their personal statement yet?

Second time around I'm remembering how hard it is and trying not to sound cliche, pretentious, douchey etc.
Which is easier Gamsat or Ukcat?

Nottingham/Derby would be a dream!
My mum went to Derby.Its only 20 minutes away by train & £7.40 a return train ticket :O & Nottingham is 50 minutes away from where I live & about £12 .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1666
did anyone else find the QR in the 600Q book really hard? I seemed to find the KAPLAN and MEDIFY QR ok but the 600Q stuff i find hard
Original post by NellyMelly
Which is easier Gamsat or Ukcat?

Nottingham/Derby would be a dream!
My mum went to Derby.Its only 20 minutes away by train & £7.40 a return train ticket :O & Nottingham is 50 minutes away from where I live & about £12 .

Posted from TSR Mobile

GAMSAT requires a lot of work, but is probably 'easier' to study for than the UKCAT which often feels quite random and your score doesn't always reflect how much effort you've put in to studying.
UKCAT prep can probably be done in 2 weeks - a month, so can be more tempting if you don't have the time to dedicate to the GAMSAT, I.e. if you're in your final year of uni.
If you have time to study and want to go to Notts, I'd go for the GAMSAT. However I believe registration has closed for the September exam?
Original post by kj0511
did anyone else find the QR in the 600Q book really hard? I seemed to find the KAPLAN and MEDIFY QR ok but the 600Q stuff i find hard

I found QR in the 600Q book really difficult within the time limit... I don't recall getting anything as challenging in my actual UKCAT! I think they're good practice, though.
Original post by Going_To_California
GAMSAT requires a lot of work, but is probably 'easier' to study for than the UKCAT which often feels quite random and your score doesn't always reflect how much effort you've put in to studying.
UKCAT prep can probably be done in 2 weeks - a month, so can be more tempting if you don't have the time to dedicate to the GAMSAT, I.e. if you're in your final year of uni.
If you have time to study and want to go to Notts, I'd go for the GAMSAT. However I believe registration has closed for the September exam?

I'm not applying for 2016 entry!!
I'm starting my second year of uni this September hehe!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kaz297
Well done to you too!

Well I'm still going to chance Soton, as apparently they no longer have a cut off score...
And either: Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow, Keele.

Would have loved Warwick, but I don't think I have a chance!

How about you?

I did gamsat in March so Liverpool 4 year, Mancheyer 5 year, and in still debating between two!

I wanted to go for Warwick too but I feel mine is too low despite what others have said. 682 is worth a shot though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So after a lot of preparation I've come to the conclusion that the UKCAT is not for me!!! My test is next week but I'm more than 100% convinced I won't get anything above 600 (lol)

I'll apply again next year but will sit the GAMSAT as I think it's much more resonable. Anyone else feel like this?
I did gamsat in March so Liverpool 4 year, Mancheyer 5 year, and in still debating between two!

I wanted to go for Warwick too but I feel mine is too low despite what others have said. 682 is worth a shot though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, how did u find the GAMSAT compared to the UKCAT in terms of preparation?
Original post by chjw51

Second time around I'm remembering how hard it is and trying not to sound cliche, pretentious, douchey etc.

I found it a lot easier this time, I've done so much extracurricular stuff etc at uni that I'm able to choose what sounds best on my PS rather than just writing everything I've done ever.
I've got a lab project this year on cardiovascular disease related to hyperphosphatemia in chronic kidney disease patients, and I'm wondering whether I should write about it. I suppose it's clinically relevant, but I'm sure everyone's is, in some way...
Original post by NellyMelly
I'm not applying for 2016 entry!!
I'm starting my second year of uni this September hehe!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! That makes more sense :tongue:
Original post by chjw51

Dreading this. This is my second year applying so I have my PS from last year, but that was only for Notts who don't put much emphasis on it, so now there's more pressure on getting a good one. Everything I write sounds stupid :P.
Hi,

I am currently a biomedical science undergraduate about to go into my final year, and I am predicted a first.
I got an average score of 705 in the UKCAT this year and am sitting the BMAT in November.
I'm worried however this score won't be high enough for Warwick, Southampton or Newcastle?
What are everyone's thoughts on this?
Any replies will be highly appreciated!
Original post by hharman19
Hi,

I am currently a biomedical science undergraduate about to go into my final year, and I am predicted a first.
I got an average score of 705 in the UKCAT this year and am sitting the BMAT in November.
I'm worried however this score won't be high enough for Warwick, Southampton or Newcastle?
What are everyone's thoughts on this?
Any replies will be highly appreciated!

I think you'll have a good shot with Warwick, their UKCAT requirements tend to be lower. I don't know enough about Southampton (even though I'm studying there) or Newcastle but I think they have fairly high requirements.
But how is a 1st better than a PhD?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no idea this is just how I felt the information I got from Barts was when I e-mailed them.

They said holding a first,pHd,Masters now puts you in a better position than having a 2:1 but because the majority of applicants hold a 2:1 degree it will have little effect only to those with first/phD/masters. This is paraphrased so...
Reply 1679
Original post by NHSFan
I would be careful re: King's. If I remember correctly, santi_92 applied there for this year, He is/was doing an MSc (at KIng's) and they didn't offer him a place for this year as they insist it is finished in August. Most are not totally complete until September.

Oh, just found this....

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2850667&page=25&highlight=&p=54551941#post54551941
(see post 492)

I agree with Zorg, that it may be an idea to consider Bristol. (No entrance test) and providing your B at A level isn't in Chemistry, you look to be a strong candidate.

Good luck wherever you decide to apply.

Thank you! ill call them up and ask them about it. Sounds pretty unfair yikes.

I would consider bristol but I've heard that they like high grades i.e. 9A*s at GCSEs or something along those lines. And yeah A in chemistry, B in biology, A* in maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending