The Student Room Group

Back Pain around the left lower scapula on my back - Help!

It feels like a dull ache whenever i sit down,I sit down and play my ps3 from 8 - 11 o clock then i lie on my bed and revise til 12 then around 1:00 i eat my lunch and then i go upstairs and lie on my bed and revise til 3 and then i sit down/eat dinner til around 8;00 how can i reduce this pain.I've had it from the beginning of last week.When i wake up in the morning its fine but after 11 i can start to feel it.I don't think heat helps since when im in the bath i can still feel it a bit.

Its basically in the pain below shoulder blade area:

Reply 1
anyone?
The usual obligatory I am not a doctor. I am not providing medical advice disclaimer.

Give the cat/camel a pop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXRsjICsGnc You could also try hanging from a pullup bar (or something similar) every now and then. You could also put a tennis/lacrosse ball on the affected area when you lie down.

The above should provide you with temporary relief from your symptoms. At some point you will probably have to address your posture/other lifestyle factors which are irritating your back if you want a long term cure though.
Reply 3
Original post by The Blind Monk
The usual obligatory I am not a doctor. I am not providing medical advice disclaimer.

Give the cat/camel a pop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXRsjICsGnc You could also try hanging from a pullup bar (or something similar) every now and then. You could also put a tennis/lacrosse ball on the affected area when you lie down.

The above should provide you with temporary relief from your symptoms. At some point you will probably have to address your posture/other lifestyle factors which are irritating your back if you want a long term cure though.

any alternatives?
Original post by scrawlx101
any alternatives?

Buy a foam roller and get good at good posture

And consider the chair you sit in to revise
Reply 5
Original post by Angry cucumber
Buy a foam roller and get good at good posture

And consider the chair you sit in to revise

i dont sit in a chair i lie on my bed
i dont sit in a chair i lie on my bed

Then sit at a chair and desk. The position you hold lying in bed upright is pretty terrible for most people
any alternatives?

This is already the low effort alternative.
Reply 8
going to my gp tommorow to have this checked out before school starts next week friday
Reply 9
gp gave me deep heat
going to my gp tommorow to have this checked out before school starts next week friday

What a catastrophic waste of everyone's time.

I hope your GP didn't spend anymore than a couple of minutes on you. This is a prime example of why we're going to have to implement charges for consultations to dissuade lazy muppets and encourage people to have any sort of interest in their own health.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RollerBall
What a catastrophic waste of everyone's time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol no it wasnt the gp gave me some cream for the back pain so it worked out just fine.

Thanks to all of you on here who actually gave me some good advice.
lol no it wasnt the gp gave me some cream for the back pain so it worked out just fine.

Thanks to all of you on here who actually gave me some good advice.

He gave you deep heat. You can buy this over the counter and isn't going to address the underlying problem. Not every problem can be cured by a cream or a tablet. Do you have any idea how much your GPs time is worth or how over-ran the NHS is with pointless requests like this?

You have shoulder pain from lying in bed/sitting all day - quite rightly pointed out by Monk. He gave you very legitimate advice (better than your GPs) which you couldn't be arsed to implement. It's quite likely this problem will return and you'll have to waste more of everyone's time doing the same thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest