The Student Room Group

Trying to find a uni, help

Hey,
I'm currently going into year 13.
I achieved an A* in A LEVEL maths one year early and am doing further maths in year 13, alongside biology A2.
I am trying to find an appropriate uni for me,
I would like to study MATHEMATICS BSC and have a few Q's
Is CITY UNIVERSITY LONDON good for maths? Advice please,
I want some reviews and honest opinions on the uni.. Doing the full further maths course

They want: ABB
I'm getting: A*(ACHIEVED)A/A*C/B

Posted from TSR Mobile
Isnt anyone gonna help me....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
work hard and try to go to a better uni. Also look at mathematics and finance degree at city or the Cass business school courses.
If you already have an A* in maths I don't understand why don't you apply for UCL, LSE and Imperial because they want A*AA and you can focus on further maths and biology and you can get A/A* grades in them. Good luck.
Reply 4
If you don't want to do STEP paper (For Cambridge, Warwick, ICL, UCL and Bath), then apply to unis such as Bristol, York, Leeds, Nottingham, Cardiff, KCL, Birmingham, Newcastle, Edingburgh which requires A*AB-AAA

I personally think that if you're achieving A*A for Maths and FM its worth going to other uni as they have more interesting and difficult modules you'll learn in yr1 and 2.

I'd suggest going to uni website and looking at the course modules to pick the unis that seems more interesting and offer a lot more.
Reply 5
Original post by kkboyk
If you don't want to do STEP paper (For Cambridge, Warwick, ICL, UCL and Bath), then apply to unis such as Bristol, York, Leeds, Nottingham, Cardiff, KCL, Birmingham, Newcastle, Edingburgh which requires A*AB-AAA

I personally think that if you're achieving A*A for Maths and FM its worth going to other uni as they have more interesting and difficult modules you'll learn in yr1 and 2.

I'd suggest going to uni website and looking at the course modules to pick the unis that seems more interesting and offer a lot more.

Which uni are you going. Do you study maths at city.
Reply 6
Original post by Anon123hahaha
I want some reviews and honest opinions on the uni.. Doing the full further maths course

They want: ABB
I'm getting: A*(ACHIEVED)A/A*C/B

Posted from TSR Mobile

What exactly attracted you to City?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by M&F
Which uni are you going. Do you study maths at city.

No. I'm planning going to Cardiff.
Reply 8
To study what
Reply 9
Original post by kkboyk
No. I'm planning going to Cardiff.

To study maths?
Reply 10
Sounds like you could do better. Would achieving an A in your Biology be an impossibility? It's just if you can get to A*AA+ that opens a lot of doors and with A*A*-A*A in Maths/Further Maths you'd probably be more suited to better (and thus usually more challenging) mathematics degrees. The unis suggested earlier are good options (some of the very top might be discouraged by your Biology prediction but for the most part you could probably get quite a few offers and then work on doing better in Biol this year as well as achieving in Further Maths).

edit: sorry M&F if you can see the quote, quoted wrong person lol

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kkboyk
What exactly attracted you to City?

The fact that I know I cannot possibly get above a B in A level Biology. It is the only university that I know I can get into. My Firm choice will be King's college london, but they want AAA, The two A's are achievable, the A in biology is too far fetched, thus I set myself low standards in order to compensate for that. But this year I'm putting more time into biology, because if I achieve a B, I'll aim for UCL maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Sounds like you could do better. Would achieving an A in your Biology be an impossibility? It's just if you can get to A*AA+ that opens a lot of doors and with A*A*-A*A in Maths/Further Maths you'd probably be more suited to better (and thus usually more challenging) mathematics degrees. The unis suggested earlier are good options (some of the very top might be discouraged by your Biology prediction but for the most part you could probably get quite a few offers and then work on doing better in Biol this year as well as achieving in Further Maths).

edit: sorry M&F if you can see the quote, quoted wrong person lol

Thankyou for your response, this year I'm only doing two subjects, so I'm definitely putting in a lot for Biology and hoping for a B maybe, it would really help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
This is very strange combination . I have never heard anyone in my sixth form doing maths, Further maths and biology. Given your maths grade you should be able to get A* in further maths.
Reply 14
Do you have a fourth subject like chemistry or physics. Do that subject if you are not so confident on Biology.
Reply 15
Original post by M&F
To study maths?

Yeah. At first I was deciding on going to either Bristol or Durham, but Cardiff has far more modules choices for 1st and 2nd yr; and although the entry requirements is lower (due to fewer applicants I think) the rigour seems to be about the same.
Original post by M&F
This is very strange combination . I have never heard anyone in my sixth form doing maths, Further maths and biology. Given your maths grade you should be able to get A* in further maths.

Yeah it seems weird but quite a few people done that in the year above, it works..
I had chemistry, but that went bad, so will evidently be dropped. I achieved an A in AS turkish, and a B in A2.. But i'm turkish so I guess thst doesnt count..
Maths, F maths, Bio, turkish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
The fact that I know I cannot possibly get above a B in A level Biology. It is the only university that I know I can get into. My Firm choice will be King's college london, but they want AAA, The two A's are achievable, the A in biology is too far fetched, thus I set myself low standards in order to compensate for that. But this year I'm putting more time into biology, because if I achieve a B, I'll aim for UCL maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I mentioned in my previous reply, you canstill apply to unis offerring a better course with AAB-A*AC.

If you really do like City university and it's course by all apply to it, but I personally think it would better to apply to unis such as Leicester, Newcastle that offer A*AC-AAB.

Edit: I'm doing Maths FM and Bio too (I'm going to try and get an A* although I was 10 ums from an A at AS)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Look at maths and Finance at city. It seems to be quite good. If you look carefully then you will see that to do Maths at city you dont need further maths but to do Maths and Finance you do. You can also see that graduate starting salary is about 27k for maths and finance.

See if you like the modules

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest