The Student Room Group

EPQ assignment based on Classics and reading list?

hey to all classicists :biggrin:

i've recently discovered that i want to study classics at uni (2016), however my passion comes more from the roman and greek historical lifestyle aspect, rather than the literature one (if that makes sense?) so i wanted to know what i should read/watch to broaden my knowledge so i can then write a sincere/passionate personal statement :smile:

i also want to do my EPQ project based on classics so i was wondering if anyone was willing to help or had any ideas on how to go about it, like finding a good question and stuff! :smile:
Reply 1
*bump*
Reply 2
anyone? :redface:
Hello! What aspects of Roman and Greek lifestyle are you interested in? For Greek History I would suggest reading Herodotus' Histories and Thucydides' Histories. For Roman stuff you could perhaps look at Suetonius or Tacitus?

Another suggestion is looking at Greek pots that depict everyday life, you could perhaps look at the role or women- there are so many sources for this. You could bring in pots, plays (like antigone, and there's a brilliant speech in Medea where she talks about the role of women), speeches etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Euphrosyne.
Hello! What aspects of Roman and Greek lifestyle are you interested in? For Greek History I would suggest reading Herodotus' Histories and Thucydides' Histories. For Roman stuff you could perhaps look at Suetonius or Tacitus?

Another suggestion is looking at Greek pots that depict everyday life, you could perhaps look at the role or women- there are so many sources for this. You could bring in pots, plays (like antigone, and there's a brilliant speech in Medea where she talks about the role of women), speeches etc.

Hi! Thanks for the suggestions I will definitely have a look at the books you've recommended :smile: I do like the every day life aspect of it, it's my favourite so I want to base my EPQ, the only thing is that I can't think of a question that's interesting enough for it to be considered 'new' or unthought about :frown:
Original post by yelloww
Hi! Thanks for the suggestions I will definitely have a look at the books you've recommended :smile: I do like the every day life aspect of it, it's my favourite so I want to base my EPQ, the only thing is that I can't think of a question that's interesting enough for it to be considered 'new' or unthought about :frown:

No problem! If I were you I wouldn't look to do something "new" seeing as classics has been studied for a very long time, and being amateurs as we are I doubt we will be able to talk about something unthought of. There will also be fewer sources for you to draw your evidence from! You could perhaps compare 2 sources that people might not think about comparing, or use a less well known source? But again, they are often harder to talk about.

Maybe have a look at some Roman letters- Pliny is obviously a good starting point, maybe look at ovid's letters from pontus? Perhaps you could compare some of Cicero's speeches to someone like Lysias from Greece (though that would be very difficult- way too much to say.)

Just have a little read of things and see what interests you, pick a few themes out and a few sources to talk about and start coming up with a title :smile:
Reply 6
No problem! If I were you I wouldn't look to do something "new" seeing as classics has been studied for a very long time, and being amateurs as we are I doubt we will be able to talk about something unthought of. There will also be fewer sources for you to draw your evidence from! You could perhaps compare 2 sources that people might not think about comparing, or use a less well known source? But again, they are often harder to talk about.

Maybe have a look at some Roman letters- Pliny is obviously a good starting point, maybe look at ovid's letters from pontus? Perhaps you could compare some of Cicero's speeches to someone like Lysias from Greece (though that would be very difficult- way too much to say.)

Just have a little read of things and see what interests you, pick a few themes out and a few sources to talk about and start coming up with a title :smile:

Wow thanks so much! I've come up with a couple of questions but I'm not sure if I'd be able to write about them for 5000 words :s-smilie:
+ Mithridatism
+ At what point does a philosophy or art turn 'classic' (something along does lines)
+ Ancient philosophical evolution or even art evolution

What do you think of these? I'd tweak them of course :redface:
Original post by yelloww
Wow thanks so much! I've come up with a couple of questions but I'm not sure if I'd be able to write about them for 5000 words :s-smilie:
+ Mithridatism
+ At what point does a philosophy or art turn 'classic' (something along does lines)
+ Ancient philosophical evolution or even art evolution

What do you think of these? I'd tweak them of course :redface:

They all sound good! I think Mithridatism would be really interesting to talk about and I doubt many people would consider writing about that! The second question is very interesting and there are loads of discussion points within that question. There's a lot to talk about for the third one too, but I prefer the first and second :') It seems that you're interested in philosophy though, so have a look at plato and aristotle
Reply 8
They all sound good! I think Mithridatism would be really interesting to talk about and I doubt many people would consider writing about that! The second question is very interesting and there are loads of discussion points within that question. There's a lot to talk about for the third one too, but I prefer the first and second :':wink: It seems that you're interested in philosophy though, so have a look at plato and aristotle

You're super helpful :smile: I think I will go for the first one then! I could also link it with lots of history of different cultures too, since it has made many appearances haha. Then I could also make it tactile and talk about it with a philosophical perspective and whatnot, and also research if it has been used in greek and roman literature! I'm brain storming now so lots of ideas are popping up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending