The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Some stuff was better. I'm glad I grew up then before camera phones were everywhere and you couldn't do anything without it being plastered all over the internet for everyone to see. #Bants #Yolo #NoFilter

I preferred football then too, before the Premier League became such a closed shop and everyone jumped on the bandwagon post Euro 96. Ipswich got promoted and finished 5th in their first season, you couldn't do that now. The European Cup was for league winners only, with some 2nd placed teams having to qualify in preliminary rounds.

The fashion was bad, agreed, but some iconic shoes came out then like the Air Max 90s and 95s.

Music wise I'm not too sure, I never liked the Britpop thing. There was a lot of classic Hip-Hop that came out then, but I didn't get into that until the 00s, this also applies to Trip Hop. I absolutely loved Garage though. Shanks & Bigfoot, DJ Luck & MC Neat, DJ Pied Piper, Artful Dodger, Craig David etc...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Man Like Wilf
Some stuff was better. I'm glad I grew up then before camera phones were everywhere and you couldn't do anything without it being plastered all over the internet for everyone to see. #Bants #Yolo #NoFilter

I preferred football then too, before the Premier League became such a closed shop and everyone jumped on the bandwagon post Euro 96. Ipswich got promoted and finished 5th in their first season, you couldn't do that now. The European Cup was for league winners only, with some 2nd placed teams having to qualify in preliminary rounds.

The fashion was bad, agreed, but some iconic shoes came out then like the Air Max 90s and 95s.

Music wise I'm not too sure, I never liked the Britpop thing. There was a lot of classic Hip-Hop that came out then, but I didn't get into that until the 00s, this also applies to Trip Hop. I absolutely loved Garage though. Shanks & Bigfoot, DJ Luck & MC Neat, DJ Pied Piper, Artful Dodger, Craig David etc...

Do you remember when pop artists wore really bad dungarees?

* surprised these never made a massive comeback amongst men lol

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1440530454.052331.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
:colonhash:
The 90s were amazing even though i was only a child then :lol:
90s fashion is life
Reply 5
the 90s were awful nostalgia is awful
Reply 6
I think many people like to look back on the time when they were growing up. My grandparents used to say the same things about the 30s and my mother and other similarly aged people I know are the same with the 50s and 60s. I remember when I was a teenager in the early noughties there were people who used to harp on about being "80s kids" and would go on about how much better music, fashion and TV was back then (quite a few of these were born in the late 80s).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
the 90s basically was the decade that gave birth to legendary people
You'll usually only see this 90s kids ****e on YouTube where apparently everyone was born in the wrong generation and "dae music now sux amirite guize xdddDd!!11!1"
You'll be doing the exact same thing when you grow up.
Original post by Pikachu94
the 90s basically was the decade that gave birth to legendary people

no. the 80s gave birth to the 90s. And the legacy of the 90s is ****ing Britney Spears, **** rap, and boys bands.
The early 90s were great because they were still taking after the 80s. Trust. The 80s punk and prior turned into grunge. And reggae from the earlier decades influenced dancehall and jungle in the 80s and 90s. Then jungle and grunge withered because of dance pop like Spice Girls and Britney and gangster rap in the late 90s. Everything was fine before then.
Did you grow up in the 90s OP? I was a 90s/early 2000s kid and unless you experienced life back then I think it's hard to understand why it was better lol.. It also depends on your culture/what your interests were and what you grew up around. Like someone else said on here, I wasn't a fan of all that britpop stuff but 90s R&B and hip-hop changed the game as did a lot of the fashion (personally I'm a fan of the dungarees lol) and TV. Plus it was before technology was everywhere so kids had a fun and carefree childhood of playing out until the street lights came on, pokemon cards, yoyos etc
Original post by Man.bear.pig
no. the 80s gave birth to the 90s. And the legacy of the 90s is ****ing Britney Spears, **** rap, and boys bands.
The early 90s were great because they were still taking after the 80s. Trust. The 80s punk and prior turned into grunge. And reggae from the earlier decades influenced dancehall and jungle in the 80s and 90s. Then jungle and grunge withered because of dance pop like Spice Girls and Britney and gangster rap in the late 90s. Everything was fine before then.

tv from the 90s :sogood:
Everything WAS better in the 90's. Its the truth!
Reply 14
Original post by AGlasgow
Did you grow up in the 90s OP? I was a 90s/early 2000s kid and unless you experienced life back then I think it's hard to understand why it was better lol.. It also depends on your culture/what your interests were and what you grew up around. Like someone else said on here, I wasn't a fan of all that britpop stuff but 90s R&B and hip-hop changed the game as did a lot of the fashion (personally I'm a fan of the dungarees lol) and TV. Plus it was before technology was everywhere so kids had a fun and carefree childhood of playing out until the street lights came on, pokemon cards, yoyos etc

Yes and i stand by the fact that it sucked. I was born in 88 so the very early 90s i was still young, but the late 90s... it sucked.

Pokemon cards were ok for a very short period, but things got too far quickly. Kids got stabbed, robbed, etc for them! Pokemon was probably the most insane kids craze i experienced.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pikachu94
tv from the 90s :sogood:

too many to name. then what happened? :facepalm2:
too many to name. then what happened? :facepalm2:

the world messed up
The 90s period was where fashion was in its prime and good music and artists evolved. Social networking was basically non existent. You could capture the good times on a disposable camera rather than the basic 'selfie stick' revolution.
There was a feel good vibe in the 90s.. even though I was born towards the end of it all, I remember people being a lot more happier. :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18

I watched the Hit Me Baby One More Time video now and if that was released today i'd have felt like a real perv for watching it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nothing was better in the 90s. The 90s was generally a **** decade. It's those years between '95 and '06' that gave 90s kids a really, very nice childhood. We didn't have a great 90s, we had a great *childhood*.

Latest