The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Which one (choral v organ) are you applying for and what's your first choice Oxford college? Do you know which other colleges you'll be auditioning at?

Choral (soprano) and my first choice is Queens but I'm also applying for Worcester and Somerville. They are the only ones hat I can apply to..!
Original post by LamantChenille
Which one (choral v organ) are you applying for and what's your first choice Oxford college? Do you know which other colleges you'll be auditioning at?

Choral (soprano) and my first choice is Queens but I'm also applying for Worcester and Somerville. They are the only ones hat I can apply to..!

Queens and Woosta are great mixed choirs! My college husband is TA, Director of Chapel Music at Woosta. He may come across stern because it's an audition but he is honestly the loveliest man you could ever meet. Nothing to worry about on that front :smile: As for OR at Queens, he comes across a bit weird and socially awkward but he's very sweet and nice :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Queens and Woosta are great mixed choirs! My college husband is TA, Director of Chapel Music at Woosta. He may come across stern because it's an audition but he is honestly the loveliest man you could ever meet. Nothing to worry about on that front :smile: As for OR at Queens, he comes across a bit weird and socially awkward but he's very sweet and nice :smile:

Oh top tip for your Woosta audition, if you have one: if RS (music tutor at Woosta) puts his face in his hands whilst you're singing, that is a GOOD sign. Also if he takes sudden sharp/deep intakes of breath with his eyes closed, that is again a good sign. He has the weirdest mannerisms of anyone I've ever met :tongue:

I'm almost tempted to put Worcester down as my first choice choir-it seems marginally less competitive than Queens, and I love them both! I met OR at an open day in July, and he was really helpful, but I can see what you mean! I'm planning to visit Worcester in September, so maybe I shall have the pleasure of meeting TA then :P
Oh top tip for your Woosta audition, if you have one: if RS (music tutor at Woosta) puts his face in his hands whilst you're singing, that is a GOOD sign. Also if he takes sudden sharp/deep intakes of breath with his eyes closed, that is again a good sign. He has the weirdest mannerisms of anyone I've ever met :tongue:

Aha, I don't quite know what to make of that..
But I'll note it anyway :biggrin:
I'm almost tempted to put Worcester down as my first choice choir-it seems marginally less competitive than Queens, and I love them both! I met OR at an open day in July, and he was really helpful, but I can see what you mean! I'm planning to visit Worcester in September, so maybe I shall have the pleasure of meeting TA then :P

Woosta is awesome - if you have any questions, do just drop me a PM :biggrin: TA is awesome. The stuff of legends. He's such a sweetie. I'm honoured to be his college wife :love:

Hahahaha, I always warn Woosta musos because suddenly a minute into your piece he's basically facepalming and you're like OMG AM I ****/HAVE I MORTALLY OFFENDED YOU, whereas it's just his way of enjoying the piece.

Also, worth mentioning the chaplain at Woosta is the best thing since sliced bread. He's basically my second father :redface: JA is lovely, but also has slightly unfortunate facial expressions, so don't pay attention to his facial expression too much if they seem a bit negative :tongue:
I think I'd like to apply to study English Lang and Lit at Oxford, having liked it a lot at the open day and after getting 4 A's in my AS. I thought that I had totally screwed them up, and as such have done little to no research into how to make a competitive oxford english application, or indeed, whether I will be able to.
So I go to a kinda good state school
AS levels in English, History, Latin (and Fine Art which I'm dropping)
I'm gonna start an EPQ this year hopefully. Other than that I have very very little extracurricular to talk about. I've started to try and read widely.. Is that enough?
8A* 5A's at GCSE If that matters.

a) Should i give it a go? At which point do I lower my expectations?

b) if so, what should I start doing now, I've got very little if my personal statement written, I dunno if I should be prepping for anything else? Grateful for any advice!
(edited 8 years ago)
Carfax is considered the city centre (the junction where High Street meets Cornmarket and St Aldate's). The main shops (depending on where you like to shop) are on Cornmarket, High Street and... I think it's called Queens Street/Road? Wherever the Westgate shopping centre is anyway :biggrin:

Right, cheers. Would you say that Worcester is conveniently located as I keep getting mixed views as to how central/easy access to shops/clubs/bars/cafes it is, and looking at a map it looks a bit out of the centre- is this particularly noticeable when you are there, and do most people at Worcester have a bike? The main problem i see with Worcester at the moment is how far away it is from the Iffley Road sports complex, but all the colleges I'm shortlisting aren't as close as I'd like it to be anyway. thoughts?

I'm helping out at the open day at Worcester on the 18th of September! (I'm a second year) We'll be having tours and talks etc. so it's a great time to come and see the college :smile:
QUOTE=colourtheory;58857047]I'm helping out at the open day at Worcester on the 18th of September! (I'm a second year) We'll be having tours and talks etc. so it's a great time to come and see the college :smile:

Yay! that's when I'm coming :biggrin:
See you around
Original post by Eux
Right, cheers. Would you say that Worcester is conveniently located as I keep getting mixed views as to how central/easy access to shops/clubs/bars/cafes it is, and looking at a map it looks a bit out of the centre- is this particularly noticeable when you are there, and do most people at Worcester have a bike? The main problem i see with Worcester at the moment is how far away it is from the Iffley Road sports complex, but all the colleges I'm shortlisting aren't as close as I'd like it to be anyway. thoughts?

Worcester is the closest college to the bars and clubs! Remember, it's Oxford and not the Gobi Desert; everything is within a ten minute walk. Compared to colleges such as St Catherine's we're extremely central (look at a map; we're just down Beaumont Street).

Also, we have accommodation for all three years. Most other colleges require you to move out to Cowley / Summertown in your second year which is miles away from the city centre.

We have all our sports facilities on site and we're the only college to do so.

Iffley is a decent cycle away (10 mins or so), but it doesn't seem to bother the Blues swimmers.
Yay! that's when I'm coming :biggrin:
See you around

Just a quick tip: prepare your questions for the tour guide before hand, I remember kicking myself when I got home because I forgot to ask what I wanted to :smile:
Original post by Eux
Cheers, PRSOM.

Where in Oxford is considered the centre? I.e where is the main hub of shops, clubs, coffee shops/cafes or just the most popular place for students in Oxford?

Hmm.. It kind of depends really on your viewpoint...

I would say the centre is Broad Street - from the Bodleian to Cornmarket with all the shops there etc.
Original post by colourtheory
I'm helping out at the open day at Worcester on the 18th of September! (I'm a second year) We'll be having tours and talks etc. so it's a great time to come and see the college :smile:

I'm hoping that I may be able to travel by that point to make it for the open day (otherwise I'll just have to settle for the Outreach day in London). Are those who attend shown around every college and buildings of importance, or is just focussed on certain things? :smile: x
Original post by fluteflute
I have to agree with colourtheory, the "Oxford looks lots at GCSE results" is a myth. There are a few cases where GCSEs are important, for very popular courses (particularly for Medicine). But Oriental Studies interviews 86% of candidates, in other words they interview practically everyone who makes a serious application. (I suspect many of the 14% they don't interview are people who have done badly on the aptitude test, for the courses that have an aptitude test, which Japanese currently doesn't.)

The key thing for you is to work out which universities have the courses best suited to you. The college thing is a bit sad, but it's not the end of the world - remember that 25% of Oxbridge students are at a college they didn't initially apply to (and near enough all love their college).

Old comment, but does that mean that for a course like History (Ancient and Modern) that interviews 64% of people, my chances are better where my GCSEs were lower than the average Oxford candidate?
Worcester is the closest college to the bars and clubs! Remember, it's Oxford and not the Gobi Desert; everything is within a ten minute walk. Compared to colleges such as St Catherine's we're extremely central (look at a map; we're just down Beaumont Street).

Also, we have accommodation for all three years. Most other colleges require you to move out to Cowley / Summertown in your second year which is miles away from the city centre.

We have all our sports facilities on site and we're the only college to do so.

Iffley is a decent cycle away (10 mins or so), but it doesn't seem to bother the Blues swimmers.

Do you know if the onsite sports facility have a hockey astro pitch?
Original post by Ivoryfall
I'm hoping that I may be able to travel by that point to make it for the open day (otherwise I'll just have to settle for the Outreach day in London). Are those who attend shown around every college and buildings of importance, or is just focussed on certain things? :smile: x

No, that'd take like a week! No, you go to the individual colleges you're interested in and they show you around and answer your questions etc. The subject departments are also open so you can ask specific questions about the course you want to study.
Original post by Eux
Do you know if the onsite sports facility have a hockey astro pitch?

We don't have an astro-pitch, but we do use the sports pitches for hockey in Michaelmas and Hilary.
Original post by Historandpliny
I think I'd like to apply to study English Lang and Lit at Oxford, having liked it a lot at the open day and after getting 4 A's in my AS. I thought that I had totally screwed them up, and as such have done little to no research into how to make a competitive oxford english application, or indeed, whether I will be able to.
So I go to a kinda good state school
AS levels in English, History, Latin (and Fine Art which I'm dropping)
I'm gonna start an EPQ this year hopefully. Other than that I have very very little extracurricular to talk about. I've started to try and read widely.. Is that enough?
8A* 5A's at GCSE If that matters.

a) Should i give it a go? At which point do I lower my expectations?

b) if so, what should I start doing now, I've got very little if my personal statement written, I dunno if I should be prepping for anything else? Grateful for any advice!

In your position I would apply :smile: I would prep for the ELAT if you do make an application, maybe by doing a couple of past papers. You also have to submit written work :smile: Then for the interview - well, prep for that when it comes around but know your personal statement and written work well and perhaps know the books you said you read in detail :smile:
No, that'd take like a week! No, you go to the individual colleges you're interested in and they show you around and answer your questions etc. The subject departments are also open so you can ask specific questions about the course you want to study.

Hahaha, I thought as much! :smile: Still sounds like a great chance to check out the place, would be a shame to miss it!

Latest

Trending

Trending