The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sounds like the sort of job I would forlornly apply for.
Reply 2
Original post by somethingbeautiful
I was browsing NHS jobs today and saw this advertised.

Band 2 £15,100-17,800 per annum. I am advised that a new employee is likely to start on the lower end of the band 2 pay scale so basically this is a £15K starting salary with 2 years training required which involves home study. Science degree desirable (which let's be honest, means 'don't bother unless you've got one'). 37.5hrs a week. Full person spec and job description (worth a read) attached. Thoughts?

Note: I'm not a science grad (yet), I have BA and won't be applying to this role. I thought it would make for an interesting discussion...

Well its 10-20% below the average grad salary so by definition its bad.

Desirable doesn't mean don't bother if you don't have one.
Reply 3
Well, they're never going to say that are they? But from my experience that's exactly what it means for NHS jobs 'desirable' elements. They also advertise posts which they have already filled by current employees but legally they have to advertise them. They aren't transparent.

Not my experience.

Do the current employees have degrees?
Reply 4
That's quite insulting offering that amount, but this is up north right? (Saw the St. Helens header) even so it's still low. IMO anything below £20k pa for a graduate outside London is low. I'm on £22k, and even though I'm grateful I have a grad role, I sometimes wonder if I could have got a better salary.
Holy, and I thought 25k for engineering grad scheme was low..
This is a NHS position, it'll probably have hundreds of applications from a wide variety of people. It's a novice position, so it's likely you would be put up to clinical coder after a certain period of time. I don't think £15,000 is terrible. Most of my hometown friends finished uni a year ago and are struggling to find stable work and have to do retail or call centre work to generate any kind of income.
Original post by Kre
That's quite insulting offering that amount, but this is up north right? (Saw the St. Helens header) even so it's still low. IMO anything below £20k pa for a graduate outside London is low. I'm on £22k, and even though I'm grateful I have a grad role, I sometimes wonder if I could have got a better salary.

Under 20k is the norm outside London. Not everyone gets on a grad scheme. in london 23k is the normal salary for a grad job unless your on a grad scheme where the normal salary is around 25-27k. I'm on 28k on a grad scheme My previous salary was 23k for a grad job doing essentially customer service but they wanted a 2:1

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see you're a Physics grad - are you working at the moment? It's a damn struggle lately.

not working
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
not working

Cant find a job or...?
Are you actively looking at the moment or taking a break? Do you know what area you want to work in? The care sector is crying out for staff but I guess it depends on whether that's something you're interested in or if it's related in any way to your ambitions.

not so much a break as apposed to trying not to go into despair by not thinking about it. I haven't applied for anything in a month now
15k is terrible when they say a degree is desirable and there will be a 2 year period of intensive training. I've been working in retail/service/care since uni and I don't complain about my low salary because none of my roles said a degree was desirable, if they did I would not be best pleased considering my salary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But this still isn't technically a graduate job. I know 15 grand isn't a lot of money, but this is a stepping stone for a scientists to enter the NHS and get some experience before they can start applying for positions that really do require a degree. Experience counts for everything now and if you're struggling to find work, and I have met quite a few scientists struggling then you'll take anything. Having a degree doesn't mean you will automatically earn a living wage and a lot of people with degrees out there are stuck doing low paid, unstimulating work (some of which actually require a degree). At least as a clinical coder you get to use you knowledge base, have security and work with other people.
Original post by daindian
Under 20k is the norm outside London. Not everyone gets on a grad scheme. in london 23k is the normal salary for a grad job unless your on a grad scheme where the normal salary is around 25-27k. I'm on 28k on a grad scheme My previous salary was 23k for a grad job doing essentially customer service but they wanted a 2:1

Posted from TSR Mobile

What degree did you do and what did you end up getting?
Original post by Windies
What degree did you do and what did you end up getting?

i did my undergrad in Accounting and Business Economics, I got a 2:1 i messed around for like a year did temp jobs then I worked as a graduate PPI case handler for Lloyds Bank. I was 23k a year did that for around 6 months hated it. it was a cross between customer service and sales, you were handling customers claims for miss old PPI and making decisions on whether they had been miss old, the targets were insane and so were the hours. for the role they wanted at least a 2:1 in any subject and every person I met was a graduate. I then went back to uni to do a masters as i needed to fill a gap on my CV and didn't wanna sign on whilst job hunting. i then applied and got onto a grad scheme paying 28k
The thing is there are a lot of graduate jobs in London paying 20k upwards the most common salary i have seen is 23k for finance/accounting roles. the largest I have seen is 30k in this field. Then you have grads chmes which a minimum of 25k plus all the addiotnall benefits again they go up. funny thing is theres a investment analyst role in a small company in london paying 20k you might turn your nose uo saying pays to low but THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS INCLUDES A 2000 WORD ESSAY! so even for the small companies they have ridiculous recruitment process and they gradually narrow down the applicants from around 100/150 to begin with. I remember applying to a job before for a trainee accounts pay was 23k there was one job and 130 applicants 5 made to first interview 3 to second interview unfortunately i was one of two unsuccessful ones after second round. The thing is for that company you would be the only staff member in the finance team,
not so much a break as apposed to trying not to go into despair by not thinking about it. I haven't applied for anything in a month now

Are your parents find with you not being proactive career-wise?
Original post by Juichiro
Are your parents find with you not being proactive career-wise?

Not really. Although they know it is hard and I am buying my own food etc so trying not to sponge too much. Anyway I'm back applying for jobs again.
I was browsing NHS jobs today and saw this advertised.

Band 2 £15,100-17,800 per annum. I am advised that a new employee is likely to start on the lower end of the band 2 pay scale so basically this is a £15K starting salary with 2 years training required which involves home study. Science degree desirable (which let's be honest, means 'don't bother unless you've got one':wink:. 37.5hrs a week. Full person spec and job description (worth a read) attached. Thoughts?

Note: I'm not a science grad (yet), I have BA and won't be applying to this role. I thought it would make for an interesting discussion...

Did you apply for it in the end?
Reply 18
Original post by daindian
i did my undergrad in Accounting and Business Economics, I got a 2:1 i messed around for like a year did temp jobs then I worked as a graduate PPI case handler for Lloyds Bank. I was 23k a year did that for around 6 months hated it. it was a cross between customer service and sales, you were handling customers claims for miss old PPI and making decisions on whether they had been miss old, the targets were insane and so were the hours. for the role they wanted at least a 2:1 in any subject and every person I met was a graduate. I then went back to uni to do a masters as i needed to fill a gap on my CV and didn't wanna sign on whilst job hunting. i then applied and got onto a grad scheme paying 28k

What were the hours roughly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you apply for it in the end?

Nope. I never intended to -it's for a science grad or someone with proof of knowledge of science past GCSE and don't meet either of those criteria. I just saw it whilst browsing NHS jobs and wondered what science grads thought about the pay in relation to the effort they had to put into a degree. I have a more hands on role now which is what I was looking for when I was browsing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending