The Student Room Group

How hard is it to self-study GCSE Psych, and how do you do it?

Hi everyone,

I'm almost 18 and starting college in September. I'm doing AS Eng Lit along with GCSE English Language (to get a B), GCSE Maths (to get a C), and GCSE Psych. It's a long story.

I'm not too fussed about what I get in Psychology, as long as I get a C at least, because I want to focus on passing Maths and AS Lit. I'll have two 90 minute taught lessons per week, and it might just be me worrying, but this doesn't sound like enough teaching time to help me get a good mark, and I was wondering if I could self-study the subject.

Is it hard to self-study Pyschology? How do you do it?

Thank you for any replies.
I did GCSE psychology with aqa and I was self taught it's all memory based and the questions asked are straight forward

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eoj89
Hi everyone,

I'm almost 18 and starting college in September. I'm doing AS Eng Lit along with GCSE English Language (to get a B), GCSE Maths (to get a C), and GCSE Psych. It's a long story.

I'm not too fussed about what I get in Psychology, as long as I get a C at least, because I want to focus on passing Maths and AS Lit. I'll have two 90 minute taught lessons per week, and it might just be me worrying, but this doesn't sound like enough teaching time to help me get a good mark, and I was wondering if I could self-study the subject.

Is it hard to self-study Pyschology? How do you do it?

Thank you for any replies.

Can I ask why psychology of all the GCSEs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Can I ask why psychology of all the GCSEs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The diversity on the list of GCSE subjects they offer is awful, and Psychology is the most interesting on the list so that's what I went with. I wanted to do Spanish but they wouldn't let me as I've never sat a foreign language exam so don't meet their entry requirements for that GCSE.
Reply 4
Original post by cathartic
I did GCSE psychology with aqa and I was self taught it's all memory based and the questions asked are straight forward

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the exam board I'm doing it with. How did you get on?
I'm thinking of self teaching psychology because of this thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did OCR psychology in year 9 and it was pretty much just memorising the textbook. The questions were basic - no thought required, just regurgitate information. So yes, I believe you can teach it yourself.
Original post by h8skoooooool
I did OCR psychology in year 9 and it was pretty much just memorising the textbook. The questions were basic - no thought required, just regurgitate information. So yes, I believe you can teach it yourself.

What grade did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ScienceFantatic
What grade did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an A, and tbh I was a bit disappointed with myself because I was so close to the A*. I just didn't do so good in the first exam because of poor time management and that brought me down a lot. Despite that, I'm still proud of the A.
GCSE psychology is the easiest subject I did to self teach. Honestly you literally have to learn the text book and regurgitate info, evaluations can be the same for every study so learn like 5 evaluation points (got an A* on both papers ☺️) good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think results of self-education depend a lot on self-discipline. As for me, I use quizzes while preparing for exams. Like
http://stringlearning.com/ because they have free quizzes and what is more important they have many quizzes on medecine

Quick Reply

Latest