The Student Room Group

Calling someone fat isn't bullying...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by WannabeDoctor98
I would 'mind my own business' and someone else's health is my business especially if has knock on affects on my family and personal health. Obesity costs the NHS billions and is partly why isn't being pushed into more and more debt. If the reason I can't reach the NHS When I want to have children, if I'm
In accident or when I'm old is because obesity (and other self inflicted illnesses) ran it into the ground I think it is might right to be able to judge overweight people. And yes being overweight is a complex issue but there are a very slim number of reasons that are valid (a lot of people make excuses).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, thankfully our NHS doesn't routinely seek to discriminate against the many of its clients for which the illness might be judged to some degree self inflicted. The way forward is seen to be through health promotion. Also, I didn't judge the tone of your post to be primarily concern for the nations finances, more an unnecessary and unpleasant attempt to rationalise bullying. Doubt you will make it as a doctor, I think they are unlikely to be the type of people that seek to help their patients by calling them fat.
Original post by Zarek
And people who smoke or drink too much should give up, people that are academically weak should study harder and do better, people that are depressed should focus on the positive and cheer up. So easy. Considering a career in health care or counselling? You'd be a natural..

Don't talk to me as if I'm ignorant to the fact it is a billion times harder than that. People who smoke and drink can put in more effort and would be able to stop (with the exceptional case not fitting to that). People that are academically weak are often lazy from personal experience (with the exception). And the depression example is completely different because you cant physically do much about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes it is in a way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Everyone1
Yes it is in a way

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read the debate and join it ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
All the points you're actually making about obesity costing the nhs etc I completely agree with, but I think something a lot of people don't understand is that when you point out people's insecurities, like their weight, they're even more likely to comfort eat (or at least, that's the case with 99.9% of people I've talked to about this). It's not going to "motivate" anyone, it'll just make them feel terrible and possibly worsen the issue. If someone called me fat in an unkind manner, I wouldn't then want to go for a jog- I would think, "why do I have to prove myself to someone who is clearly very shallow? Why should I fit their standards?"
And then demolish a packet of digestives or something. But that's just me and the people I've spoken to.
Original post by TheNotoriousBIG
All the points you're actually making about obesity costing the nhs etc I completely agree with, but I think something a lot of people don't understand is that when you point out people's insecurities, like their weight, they're even more likely to comfort eat (or at least, that's the case with 99.9% of people I've talked to about this). It's not going to "motivate" anyone, it'll just make them feel terrible and possibly worsen the issue. If someone called me fat in an unkind manner, I wouldn't then want to go for a jog- I would think, "why do I have to prove myself to someone who is clearly very shallow? Why should I fit their standards?"
And then demolish a packet of digestives or something. But that's just me and the people I've spoken to.

See I've had people say this too me on TSR but as someone from a girls school I'm surrounded by only teenage girls all the time and I can honestly say when someone calls a teenage girl fat they loose weight 90% of the time. Also my female relatives have all been the same, I've had several aunts now loose quite a few stone each because of negative comments about their weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If a person is fat surely I am just stateing facts?

Unless your describing someone to a blind person please assume everyone else notices :smile: You don't go up to someone and tell them they're breathing, do you? No, they already know

Your just looking for an excuse really...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Celebi899
Unless your describing someone to a blind person please assume everyone else notices :smile: You don't go up to someone and tell them they're breathing, do you? No, they already know

Your just looking for an excuse really...

Except for that fact 1. A blind person doesn't choose to be blind 2. People kinda have to breath -- being fat is a health risk, and we point out risks all the time in our everyday life to people 'be careful a car is coming' 'you really shouldn't smoke it's bad for you maybe it's time to try and stop' etc so why is it not okay to say 'your getting a bit fat, that can cause some serious problems you should try to loose weight'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Calling someone fat for no apparent reason is bullying even if they are fat. If someone says so and so is fat and you say yes that is bullying. Telling someone the obvious lets say someone is crippled and walk really weird, so you see them and go up to them and state the obvious "you walk weirdly" that is bullying because it brings the other person down. It is insulting.

It's bullying and should always be considered bullying if you dont want people to state the obvious of yourself then why do it to others.

Ps. Nathan
Except for that fact 1. A blind person doesn't choose to be blind 2. People kinda have to breath -- being fat is a health risk, and we point out risks all the time in our everyday life to people 'be careful a car is coming' 'you really shouldn't smoke it's bad for you maybe it's time to try and stop' etc so why is it not okay to say 'your getting a bit fat, that can cause some serious problems you should try to loose weight'

Your right that it is a big health risk, but it will not help that person loose weight any faster if you say they're fat. They know they're getting fatter/are fat and you pointing it out to them will probably make them more self conscious about their image (which may lead to more eating). Tbh the argument is pretty messy over the NHS and emotional hurt caused when calling people fat. If your gonna call someone fat at least try to soften the blow as much as you can (but that's just my opinion)

Also smokers can stop smoking fairly quickly and stop being labeled, fat is a lot harder to loose and you'll be stuck with the label for longer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Read the debate and join it ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that what you want

Posted from TSR Mobile
See I've had people say this too me on TSR but as someone from a girls school I'm surrounded by only teenage girls all the time and I can honestly say when someone calls a teenage girl fat they loose weight 90% of the time. Also my female relatives have all been the same, I've had several aunts now loose quite a few stone each because of negative comments about their weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know why they loose weight because they dont want the negative comments to continue. They want to fit in. They want to be seen as attractive not unattractive when it comes to there weight.

Girls work in ways that males don't girls are very sensitive when it comes to there weight and they dislike being called fat.

Ps. Nathan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Celebi899
you pointing it out to them will probably make them more self conscious about their image (which may lead to more eating).

Posted from TSR Mobile

More eating, thrm starving themselves, eating then gagging themselves, useing a water only diet

Posted from TSR Mobile
More eating, thrm starving themselves, eating then gagging themselves, useing a water only diet

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's all a lot harder then it sounds and you would have to have underlying mental health issues for this to really be caused/triggered by someone calling you fat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You know why they loose weight because they dont want the negative comments to continue. They want to fit in. They want to be seen as attractive not unattractive when it comes to there weight.

Girls work in ways that males don't girls are very sensitive when it comes to there weight and they dislike being called fat.

Ps. Nathan

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly so why is it a bad thing, I would say being in a single sex school has put more pressure on being thin (because it's something girls prise more then guys) and honestly I don't see any overweight/unhealthy girls around school (that's thinking from the top of my head). So the pressure to be healthy and the fact people will point out your size more (I think it's because we feel more comfortable talking about touchy issues at my school) has positivity benefited the health of the students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly so why is it a bad thing, I would say being in a single sex school has put more pressure on being thin (because it's something girls prise more then guys) and honestly I don't see any overweight/unhealthy girls around school (that's thinking from the top of my head). So the pressure to be healthy and the fact people will point out your size more (I think it's because we feel more comfortable talking about touchy issues at my school) has positivity benefited the health of the students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So are we debating about your school or the society?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's all a lot harder then it sounds and you would have to have underlying mental health issues for this to really be caused/triggered by someone calling you fat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its not hard to gag your self, take your touth brush and scrub the bavk of uour tounge and gag about 4 times by then you would have barfed. Water diet get a cup and drink water all the time it is healthy and will fill you up but it lacks the nutrients the body needs

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm talking BMI of around 30+ (obese) because BMI isn't very accurate and I know personally that I'm not unhealthy and yet my BMI is 23 ish (near overweight). I'm talking fat as in when weight severely/long term impacts the health of someone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have a read of http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/why-being-overweight-means-you-live-longer-the-way-scientists-twist-the-facts-10158229.html

There's a lot of terrible information out there about correlation of BMI and various conditions. It's a very poor measure - especially the way it is grouped into 4 categories.
Original post by BookBird
Yes. Beauty is relative. You may not be attracted to fat people but that doesn't mean that they are not beautiful. A size 14 is just as beautiful as a size 6.

A size 14 isn't even that large, 16 is the average dress size in the UK and it really depends on how tall you are and your proportion. For example in trousers I'm usually a size 10 although I do have quite wide hips so it depends but then because I have a large bust sometimes have to get a size 12 for a shirt so the buttons aren't gaping open.
Also a size 6 is extremely thin!
Original post by PQ
Have a read of http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/why-being-overweight-means-you-live-longer-the-way-scientists-twist-the-facts-10158229.html

There's a lot of terrible information out there about correlation of BMI and various conditions. It's a very poor measure - especially the way it is grouped into 4 categories.

And that muscle weighs more than fat, so you can be working out, especially if you're a guy and getting in better shape but you're BMI go up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending