The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TornadoGR4
Worried for what? Did you think you'd win the league before and are worried that won't happen? Or are you worried about not making top 4.

Neville was spot on when he mentioned the lack of muscle in your midfield. You have some flair players but not an intimidating presence. Milner would've been very good for you I imagine.

Coquelin is scary af, he's just surrounded by more manlets in midfield than a hot girl in a Dungeons and Dragons convention.
Honestly at this stage I'm just enjoying football what it is. Not bothered about Arsenal's prospects for the season ahead just yet, I've really missed the highs and lows the 90 mins has to offer.
Worried for what? Did you think you'd win the league before and are worried that won't happen? Or are you worried about not making top 4.

Neville was spot on when he mentioned the lack of muscle in your midfield. You have some flair players but not an intimidating presence. Milner would've been very good for you I imagine.

Balance of the team is wrong. You shouldn't play Coq-Cazorla as your CM duo against good teams imo. I'm not even sure it's an issue of getting more muscle; I think Arsene just wants to utilise all the attacking talent he has, but we simply have too many midget technicians to fit in one midfield. Then you put Ramsey out wide who just wants to play inside, and you've literally got an orgy of midfielders dallying about in the center of the pitch and Bellerin in no mans land on the right. It's just poor tactics.

I dont even want to consider the possibility of Coquelin getting injured.
(edited 8 years ago)

I think a genuine league challenge was on if we signed 2 more players. But now I think we are fighting for 3rd and 4th again. Wenger really must be blamed if we don't sign anyone because we are evidently ill equipped to win the games we should be winning if we are to be considered real contenders. I think not signing anyone else is going to be a massive sign of mismanagement. If he signs people in January it won't be enough because it is likely too late by then. I think at this rate he has ****ed up massively.
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
I think a genuine league challenge was on if we signed 2 more players. But now I think we are fighting for 3rd and 4th again. Wenger really must be blamed if we don't sign anyone because we are evidently ill equipped to win the games we should be winning if we are to be considered real contenders. I think not signing anyone else is going to be a massive sign of mismanagement. If he signs people in January it won't be enough because it is likely too late by then. I think at this rate he has ****ed up massively.

I totally agree with you.

It's clear this team is nowhere near capable of fighting Chelsea and City for the title. We simply don't have it in us to win 4-5 games on the bounce and that will be needed such as during the festive period and end of season when the pressure is on.

I think Wenger's body language during games is an admittance of this. He realises he has messed up and the team is nowhere as good as what he says(if he really believes it himself). It's sad.

To say we did something special last year by winning the FA Cup and finishing 3rd is even sadder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree; something's off about you this season.
You'll get top 4 since you always do, although you really need consistency since we could really push for it if we continue as we are.

You'll beat Spurs in the cup though - they're worse than last season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
I totally agree with you.

It's clear this team is nowhere near capable of fighting Chelsea and City for the title. We simply don't have it in us to win 4-5 games on the bounce and that will be needed such as during the festive period and end of season when the pressure is on.

I think Wenger's body language during games is an admittance of this. He realises he has messed up and the team is nowhere as good as what he says(if he really believes it himself). It's sad.

To say we did something special last year by winning the FA Cup and finishing 3rd is even sadder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The team lacks the spark. That typical Arsenal flair is not there that even the failed team of Nasri, Fabregas, RVP etc had. I get that they did not win any trophies but that is because their team had more gaping holes than this one.

In this team our big players are not as good as we thought they were. Ozil goes missing and is not as good as Fabregas was, Ramsey goes missing but I would say he is as good as Nasri was, Wilshere is missing all of the time. Giroud is not RVP's level for us by any stretch of the imagination.

Who is left to make a difference? Cazorla? Chamberlain (although the guy is young and might turn out great)? Walcott? Welbeck? Really? Would you honestly say these are true Arsenal quality players? We have a lot of depth Wenger is correct, but we have not got quality.

Only player really that really stands out for us is Alexis and funnily enough he has been bailing us out since he has joined.

Essentially Wenger has created a cup team and 4th place also rans. I.e. What we criticise the likes of the old Chelsea for being when we were kids.

The only way this team can go forward is if we are ruthless by selling the dead weight and buying a few top quality players that can carry the rest through games.
Original post by Lúcio
I agree; something's off about you this season.
You'll get top 4 since you always do, although you really need consistency since we could really push for it if we continue as we are.

You'll beat Spurs in the cup though - they're worse than last season.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I honestly think it is because many key players such as Cazorla and Giroud have already reached their peak, gone past that peak, and were never really good enough to be top class in the first place.
And btw, I think that Nasri would have become world class had he stayed with us.
whatever happened to team spirit and discipline?
Original post by shawn_o1
whatever happened to team spirit and discipline?

They were a team of dirtbags for sure (Nasri, RVP, Fabregassed) but they had more talent than the current crop. We just needed some older heads in their to steer the ship, having them as the most senior players was dumb as f.
The team lacks the spark. That typical Arsenal flair is not there that even the failed team of Nasri, Fabregas, RVP etc had. I get that they did not win any trophies but that is because their team had more gaping holes than this one.

In this team our big players are not as good as we thought they were. Ozil goes missing and is not as good as Fabregas was, Ramsey goes missing but I would say he is as good as Nasri was, Wilshere is missing all of the time. Giroud is not RVP's level for us by any stretch of the imagination.

Who is left to make a difference? Cazorla? Chamberlain (although the guy is young and might turn out great)? Walcott? Welbeck? Really? Would you honestly say these are true Arsenal quality players? We have a lot of depth Wenger is correct, but we have not got quality.

Only player really that really stands out for us is Alexis and funnily enough he has been bailing us out since he has joined.

Essentially Wenger has created a cup team and 4th place also rans. I.e. What we criticise the likes of the old Chelsea for being when we were kids.

The only way this team can go forward is if we are ruthless by selling the dead weight and buying a few top quality players that can carry the rest through games.

Yeah. We may have been closer to the winners last year in terms of position but quality wise we were miles away.

We're now being linked with some player called Kokorin. Don't know him but it doesn't fill me with confidence and he certainly ain't bringing the title to the Emirates. Reminds me of the Welbeck buy - desperate and last minute.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I honestly think it is because many key players such as Cazorla and Giroud have already reached their peak, gone past that peak, and were never really good enough to be top class in the first place.

you've never been good enough in recent years to win the title because you simply haven't gone all out to buy the quality you need in the positions you need them in.

if you look at United and Chelsea, they're always trying to improve exactly where it's needed, even if they pay over the odds for it.
i understand Wenger is very efficient in terms of spending, but that is perhaps the same reason why you haven't won the league in so long.
it's odd for a team to be so consistently present in the top 4 without building on that and getting a title.
Original post by Lúcio
you've never been good enough in recent years to win the title because you simply haven't gone all out to buy the quality you need in the positions you need them in.

if you look at United and Chelsea, they're always trying to improve exactly where it's needed, even if they pay over the odds for it.
i understand Wenger is very efficient in terms of spending, but that is perhaps the same reason why you haven't won the league in so long.
it's odd for a team to be so consistently present in the top 4 without building on that and getting a title.

The thing is, the opportunities to buy the quality have definitely been there. So it is not like we can just say "Hey there has not been the quality in the market". That is what is so baffling.
Don't talk about spirit, talk about net spirit.
The thing is, the opportunities to buy the quality have definitely been there. So it is not like we can just say "Hey there has not been the quality in the market". That is what is so baffling.

Exactly.

fair play to you for buying Sanchez because he has turned out wonderfully for you.
but where would you be if you had just thrown pout £40m for a top striker and £20-30m for a top class DM?
i'm not saying it's as simple as that but it's quite clear that the teams that take risks and spend large sums just so happen to be the ones winning the title every year.
it's not like you don't have the money.
Original post by The Shed End
Don't talk about spirit, talk about net spirit.

prsom :rofl:

i think that needs to go on their OP :biggrin:
maybe if Walcott/Ox had started more games and Ramsey was played more at B2B
Most disappointing transfer window ever for me, given the circumstances. That said, we should be playing a lot better with the players we have already in the squad.
Original post by De Chirico
Most disappointing transfer window ever for me, given the circumstances. That said, we should be playing a lot better with the players we have already in the squad.

And we look to be buying Pavlyucenkho mkII.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest