The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
In this team our big players are not as good as we thought they were. Ozil goes missing and is not as good as Fabregas was, Ramsey goes missing but I would say he is as good as Nasri was, Wilshere is missing all of the time. Giroud is not RVP's level for us by any stretch of the imagination.

13/14 Ramsey yeah, but in his current form he's nowhere near the level Nasri was in his last season for us.

And btw, I think that Nasri would have become world class had he stayed with us.

He was in his last season.
Ramsey isn't a wide midfielder so he can't play to the best of his ability. Walcott or Ox should play their for sure! Ramsey needs to play central where cazorla is otherwise there is no place in the team for him. He hasn't got the discipline to stay wide. Cazorla should play higher up fighting for ozils position which will hopefully get ozil playing at his best.
Original post by Arkasia
13/14 Ramsey yeah, but in his current form he's nowhere near the level Nasri was in his last season for us.

He was in his last season.

Yeah but he went missing for half that season if I recall correctly. He was scoring a lot of goals and then he just tailed off.
Santi playing centrally is the ultimate sign of Ramsey's regression. It's very telling Wenger sacrificed Ramsey's physicality, work rate and timed runs in the middle for essentially Santi's technical ability, vision and distribution.

Ideally we need someone next to a DM who is has a high technical level and is able to physically impose himself in midfield, That for is me is Wilshere.
Yeah but he went missing for half that season if I recall correctly. He was scoring a lot of goals and then he just tailed off.

True, our squad generally have issues with tailing off. Fabregas, Nasri, Giroud, Santi, even Sanchez. RvP was the exception.

Original post by sevchenko
Santi playing centrally is the ultimate sign of Ramsey's regression. It's very telling Wenger sacrificed Ramsey's physicality, work rate and timed runs in the middle for essentially Santi's technical ability, vision and distribution.

Ideally we need someone next to a DM who is has a high technical level and is able to physically impose himself in midfield, That for is me is Wilshere.

Whenever Wilshere tries to impose himself he either gets injured or gets booked. He puts in more dangerous tackles than Coquelin.

Wilshere can't be that person cos he's not a reliable player who will play all season which a team needs in that position. We need to bring someone in and if not we will have a season much like the last as cazorla can't do the defensive part of his job leaving too much for coquelin in the base of midfield and so the big teams will easily win.
Original post by Arkasia
Whenever Wilshere tries to impose himself he either gets injured or gets booked. He puts in more dangerous tackles than Coquelin.

We can't refine his game because he's never fit. Real shame tbh because he can become truly world class

Original post by wazza98
Wilshere can't be that person cos he's not a reliable player who will play all season which a team needs in that position. We need to bring someone in and if not we will have a season much like the last as cazorla can't do the defensive part of his job leaving too much for coquelin in the base of midfield and so the big teams will easily win.

I was screaming out Schneiderlin to come here. He looks a real player at United their Midfield is more functional and cohesive than ours. He would have been perfect along side Coq
(edited 8 years ago)
We can't refine his game because he's never fit. Real shame tbh because he can become truly world class

I'd just say his ceiling has always been higher than Ramseys, I agree with Zurich on that one.

I was screaming out Schneiderlin to come here. He looks a real player at United their Midfield is more functional and cohesive than ours. He would have been perfect along side Coq

I agree. So who's left now that we can get in the few days left?
Carvalho-young, talented but risky at this age. What does everyone think?
Original post by wazza98

I's say Krychowiak would be a good shout. Relatively cheap defensive minded midfielder with a excellent technical level, strong pysical presence and can play at CB. Was in La Liga team of the year 14/15.

I'd imagine in tough away matches we'd play him and Coq for better midfielder control and protection. It would be very nice to see
Original post by wazza98

Think he'll do very well with us, he tore England (and most teams) a new one in Euro u21's so the ability is definitely there.
Id love Carvalho Tbh would be a great signing
I would take Carvalho, for sure.

The one we've been most linked to recently is Krychowiak. I don't really watch Spanish football - is he any good?
Original post by AR_95
Id love Carvalho Tbh would be a great signing

The position is so very important because it sets the pace for the whole attack. If he can drive the ball forward in turnovers (like Wilshere) from deep but also defend... then we have quite a player on our hands. Wilshere's problem is he cannot defend and lacks the physicality otherwise he would be perfect in that position.
I's say Krychowiak would be a good shout. Relatively cheap defensive minded midfielder with a excellent technical level, strong pysical presence and can play at CB. Was in La Liga team of the year 14/15.

I'd imagine in tough away matches we'd play him and Coq for better midfielder control and protection. It would be very nice to see

I'm not too sure about him. There's also the need of a striker. Such a shame benzema couldn't happen. I don't want cavani as I don't think he's that good. Aubameyang is the best option I think.
Original post by wazza98
I'm not too sure about him. There's also the need of a striker. Such a shame benzema couldn't happen. I don't want cavani as I don't think he's that good. Aubameyang is the best option I think.

Personally think the need for a striker is overhyped. If we need more goals they need to come from other players in the team tbh. Would Mandzu Or Martinez hit 20+ league goal here? to late to find out but I think Giroud can 18+ goal is the league which is a excellent return.

Aubameyang is nowhere near good enough for Arsenal tbh
Personally think the need for a striker is overhyped. If we need more goals they need to come from other players in the team tbh. Would Mandzu Or Martinez hit 20+ league goal here? to late to find out but I think Giroud can 18+ goal is the league which is a excellent return.

The fact that they don't seem like they can is a bit worrying.

This is true but goals can't just come magically from the rest of the team. We can see from the matches last season and this one that the only real likely scorers are giroud and Sanchez. We need to bring someone in to boost the number of goals as no one else will as it is. No doubt giroud can get a lot of goals but we need more than he can give. We need a bit more pace and a goal threat that's why benzema would've been perfect. Walcott can't be that guy. Another name is higuain who could be a good fit?
The fact that they don't seem like they can is a bit worrying.

True. I think Welbeck will be better this season can see him getting 10+ from across the front 3. Ozil, Ramsey and Ox need 10 plus. I said before we need alot more from Ozil. Below is shocking really

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2012/2013/santiago_cazorla/165/2/311/0/p|premier_league/2013/2014/mesut_özil/165/64/123/0/p|premier_league/2014/2015/mesut_özil/165/126/123/0/p#goals_scored/assists/key_passes/chances_created/successful_passes/total_shots/successful_take_ons#total

What Wenger has effectively done is used to idea of "cohesion" to dress up the great possibility that even he thinks that the individual parts are not of title winning quality. So essentially we are relying on the teamwork clicking together Sir Alex style.

Latest