The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hi all,

With a UKCAT of score of 700 i think the only GEM course I'll have a chance of making it to interview at is Warwick... so I've been looking to shore up my application with some 5 year places.

I've found it difficult to track down details on graduate entry requirements for 5 year courses. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of requirements for grads knocking about? or perhaps could suggest where I might be eligible with the UKCAT score mentioned above:

2.1 in Natural Sciences (Molecular Bio and a few psych modules);
AAB (bio, history, chem - annoyingly the chem is the B!!)
Worked the NHS for the past year on the gradate management scheme, also done voluntary work in a care home, voluntary work in India shadowing doctors + doing v basic procedures
Original post by antimony51
Hi all,

With a UKCAT of score of 700 i think the only GEM course I'll have a chance of making it to interview at is Warwick... so I've been looking to shore up my application with some 5 year places.

I've found it difficult to track down details on graduate entry requirements for 5 year courses. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of requirements for grads knocking about? or perhaps could suggest where I might be eligible with the UKCAT score mentioned above:

Worked the NHS for the past year on the gradate management scheme, also done voluntary work in a care home, voluntary work in India shadowing doctors + doing v basic procedures

I only know about the ones which are for people without any chem/bio post GCSE. They're;

Leicester - UKCAT - scoring system which includes previous grades and degree classification
Newcastle/Durham - UKCAT is sole selector for interview, 700 has been good enough for interview in recent years (except 2014 for obvious reasons).
Exeter/Plymouth - GAMSAT

Generally, universities have a section for graduates applying to a100 on their entry requirements page. You will have more options open to you due to your A-Level subjects and degree, so definitely look at the websites of every university to check.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HCAssistant93
I did gamsat in March so Liverpool 4 year, Mancheyer 5 year, and in still debating between two!

I wanted to go for Warwick too but I feel mine is too low despite what others have said. 682 is worth a shot though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by MJK91
With that I would take a stab at Warwick. It's a little low but it does seem people are scoring a little lower this year (based on subjective analysis of TSR posts, who tend to overachieve!)

What was your VR?

I think mine will still be too low. For 2015, their lowest was 2800, and mine is only 2730... so I just don't know.
VR was only 550...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by antimony51
Hi all,

Not of much help, but I went to medschools.ac.uk, wrote down all of the med schools and went on to each's individual websites. I managed to find admissions info for all of them, for graduates.
Original post by liam__
I only know about the ones which are for people without any chem/bio post GCSE. They're;

Leicester - UKCAT - scoring system which includes previous grades and degree classification
Newcastle/Durham - UKCAT is sole selector for interview, 700 has been good enough for interview in recent years (except 2014 for obvious reasons).
Exeter/Plymouth - GAMSAT

Generally, universities have a section for graduates applying to a100 on their entry requirements page. You will have more options open to you due to your A-Level subjects and degree.

From what I have seen from my preliminary checks, you either need AAA or an A in Chemistry. Pretty frustrating haha... if I'd have known that one exam was going to play such a pivotal role in my life, I would've tried a little bit harder (I went through the US education system and that exam was not necessary for getting into US universities).
Hey guys, I just got an email from gamsat saying my admissions ticket is now available, just thought I'd let you all know x
Hello people,

So it all went wrong today and I only scored an average of 630 with a band 1.

Worth applying?

Thanks.
Original post by JDarlo91
Hello people,

So it all went wrong today and I only scored an average of 630 with a band 1.

Worth applying?

Thanks.

You have nothing to lose. Worst case scenario: you get rejected and reapply next year.
Guys with a UKCAT score of 695 is there any particular Unis that I can apply to? My A levels are only ABB in Maths, Chemistry and Biology
Original post by ChemBoss
Guys with a UKCAT score of 695 is there any particular Unis that I can apply to? My A levels are only ABB in Maths, Chemistry and Biology

This is the Graduate entry thread, I'm assuming your not a graduate ?
Original post by Emily Thorne
This is the Graduate entry thread, I'm assuming your not a graduate ?

No I am a graduate studying Medical Engineering at QMUL with a first predicted grade

If your VR score is good, you have a shot at Warwick. (I believe there were a few interviewees for this year's entry with slightly bleow 700 last year, but they did well in the VR section. It was during the admission process that Warwick decided to focus on the VR part!).
(edited 8 years ago)
Just seen the GAMSAT admission ticket, guess I'll be seeing some of you at Olympia Central.
No I am a graduate studying Medical Engineering at QMUL with a first predicted grade

Ah sorry! Will you be applying for all GEM ? Or 5 year courses as well?
Original post by Emily Thorne
Ah sorry! Will you be applying for all GEM ? Or 5 year courses as well?

Lol no it's fine, well with my score most likely that I just fall short for the 4 year courses so I was thinking more 5 year?

Tbh I'm not really sure at how the 5 year courses work for graduates and will the fact that my A levels are ABB go against me?
Original post by NHSFan
If your VR score is good, you have a shot at Warwick. (I believe there were a few interviewees for this year's entry with slightly bleow 700 last year, but they did well in the VR section. It was during the admission process that Warwick decided to focus on the VR part!).

Looooool well actually VR was my worst score by far I got 590, my others were 770 (QR), 730 (AR) and 690 (DA) with Band 1 in SJ...these scores surely are too low for any of the graduate entry programmes right?

Something else tho is that I actually booked the GAMSAT and have it scheduled for September 9th but I haven't got a clue about it do you think 2 weeks is enough time to revise for it? There's only3 GEP programmes that use it right?

Thanks for your advise!
Looooool well actually VR was my worst score by far I got 590, my others were 770 (QR), 730 (AR) and 690 (DA) with Band 1 in SJ...these scores surely are too low for any of the graduate entry programmes right?

Something else tho is that I actually booked the GAMSAT and have it scheduled for September 9th but I haven't got a clue about it do you think 2 weeks is enough time to revise for it? There's only3 GEP programmes that use it right?

Thanks for your advise!

2 weeks is very tight; if you're not revising full-time already...start!
Original post by Natha_Lite
Just seen the GAMSAT admission ticket, guess I'll be seeing some of you at Olympia Central.

Just 15 mins drive from where I live! Hello lie in! :biggrin:
Anyone taking the GAMSAT at the NEC in Birmingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm on a waiting list for volunteering at a local hospital!
However there's a long list so I should hear back around November
#RoadToGEM

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending