Original post by jh99
Ill be starting IB soon and I've chosen these subjects:

HL Art
HL Business
HL Biology

SL Maths
SL French
SL English

I'm not sure how I feel about my HL's given I got a B in both Business and Art for my GCSE's and I'm considering dropping art completely and taking another science instead. I'm also not sure how difficult these subjects are.

I was also wandering what this combination of subjects will allow me to do in the future in terms of Uni.

Any advice or recommendations?

You'll be fine with a B for Business. As for Art, it depends if you're considered "good" or not + whether you're willing to work very hard. If you want to do science in uni however, you should take another science as many unis require two HL scienes (UK unis).
Original post by gkkiller
I begin the IB next week! These are my subject choices currently.

HL Comp Science, ITGS, English
SL Math, Visual Art, Spanish ab initio

One last check: these are fine for graphic design / communications design, right?
I have a month before they're concrete, so in that time I may possibly upgrade Art and downgrade ITGS. I'm also thinking about taking French instead of Spanish, because I learnt the basics of French on Duolingo, but I know the Spanish teacher is good at my school and I'm not sure about the French teacher, so I'll wait for that.

PS: A big thank you to everyone in this thread who's helped me figure out what kind of subjects I want to take! This is probably the third or fourth time I've posted here, and every time the response has been prompt and helpful.

If you want to take Graphic Design in uni I think it'll be smart to take HL Art since you might have more to work with when you build up your portfolio. In addition, the difference between HL and SL art is not massive. You might as well take HL Art rather than Computer Science (it's very challenging! But you do you!).
Hey, guys! Don't know if any of you can give me some tips?
So, I'm not certain about what I want to do with my future. Some of my areas of consideration are Computer Science, Psychology, Teaching...yeah, you see how hodge-podge it all is, but my main passion lies in helping people, hence the latter two out of what I've listed.

My current official plan (!) is to do HL Math, Chemistry and Physics (the equivalent of jumping underneath a moving train) and SL English, German and Psychology. Now, I think I'm pretty certain about bumping Chemistry down to SL and Psychology up to HL (yay!). However, I am considering replacing Chem altogether, as much as I love it, with Philosophy, which I also adore. Having thought about it a little further, this makes some sense as whilst all the subjects are obviously a lot of work, Philosophy comes very naturally to me so I can understand it with a lot less effort and time than other subjects. Whilst I don't find sciences too mind-boggling with the exception of specific areas, I have never had the ease with anything that I have had with Philosophy. It's not that I don't put effort in - I put in a LOT of effort to ALL of it - but it's just a little...easier, and is almost relaxing in some ways. I feel like this makes sense because of the HL Math and Physics - and yes, I am definitely doing HL Math. Call me crazy. I know. But trust me, I have my reasoning...I'm just not good at explaining it. But basically, to keep my options open - particularly for Comp. Sci. - I have to, as my school can't do IB Comp. Sci. and I am set on doing the IB (always have been).

Any tips? Thanks so much. I TRIED to make this more coherent and concise than last time...think it's an improvement? I don't know. I'm sorry!
Hi I REALLY want to do the IB and I was thinking of doing:

English HL
History HL
Biology HL

Maths SL
Philosophy SL (or psychology if they allow it)

But I'm not sure sure about languages? The thing is I really struggled with French at school and got a B after a long and excruciating journey. I have no idea what to do.

P.S I heard that even the ab initio courses are hugely intensive!

P.P.S. General opinion? Is this a good set of choices? Universities?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Do1phinDreamer
Hey, guys! Don't know if any of you can give me some tips?
So, I'm not certain about what I want to do with my future. Some of my areas of consideration are Computer Science, Psychology, Teaching...yeah, you see how hodge-podge it all is, but my main passion lies in helping people, hence the latter two out of what I've listed.

My current official plan (!) is to do HL Math, Chemistry and Physics (the equivalent of jumping underneath a moving train) and SL English, German and Psychology. Now, I think I'm pretty certain about bumping Chemistry down to SL and Psychology up to HL (yay!). However, I am considering replacing Chem altogether, as much as I love it, with Philosophy, which I also adore. Having thought about it a little further, this makes some sense as whilst all the subjects are obviously a lot of work, Philosophy comes very naturally to me so I can understand it with a lot less effort and time than other subjects. Whilst I don't find sciences too mind-boggling with the exception of specific areas, I have never had the ease with anything that I have had with Philosophy. It's not that I don't put effort in - I put in a LOT of effort to ALL of it - but it's just a little...easier, and is almost relaxing in some ways. I feel like this makes sense because of the HL Math and Physics - and yes, I am definitely doing HL Math. Call me crazy. I know. But trust me, I have my reasoning...I'm just not good at explaining it. But basically, to keep my options open - particularly for Comp. Sci. - I have to, as my school can't do IB Comp. Sci. and I am set on doing the IB (always have been).

Any tips? Thanks so much. I TRIED to make this more coherent and concise than last time...think it's an improvement? I don't know. I'm sorry!

I would agree that HL maths, chemistry and physics would be like jumping under a train hahaha BUT at least you wouldn't have many essays in them because HL essay subjects.. well get A LOT of essays..or maybe thats just my school

I am doing chem HL and absolutely love it and would recommend it, however this is just probably because I'm a bit of a chem fanatic so..

I'm doing philosophy SL and I'd also really recommend it, its definitely one of my favourite classes and so so interesting and mind stimulating. (also crosses over with tok which is very useful indeed) HOWEVER in philosophy it is hard to get a 7,as in the jump between 6 and 7 is a big one, don't worry it is possible and since you seem to love philosophy you'd probably be ok, but if you're aiming for a really really high score eg. 45 hahah then maybe just take this into account
Original post by arehyldarb
I would agree that HL maths, chemistry and physics would be like jumping under a train hahaha BUT at least you wouldn't have many essays in them because HL essay subjects.. well get A LOT of essays..or maybe thats just my school

I am doing chem HL and absolutely love it and would recommend it, however this is just probably because I'm a bit of a chem fanatic so..

I'm doing philosophy SL and I'd also really recommend it, its definitely one of my favourite classes and so so interesting and mind stimulating. (also crosses over with tok which is very useful indeed) HOWEVER in philosophy it is hard to get a 7,as in the jump between 6 and 7 is a big one, don't worry it is possible and since you seem to love philosophy you'd probably be ok, but if you're aiming for a really really high score eg. 45 hahah then maybe just take this into account

I feel like you're either psychic
Original post by swisscakes
Hi I REALLY want to do the IB and I was thinking of doing:

English HL
History HL
Biology HL

Maths SL
Philosophy SL (or psychology if they allow it)

But I'm not sure sure about languages? The thing is I really struggled with French at school and got a B after a long and excruciating journey. I have no idea what to do.

P.S I heard that even the ab initio courses are hugely intensive!

P.P.S. General opinion? Is this a good set of choices? Universities?

Looking at your HLs it would seem you can only go for courses such as English and History in uni... Many unis require 2 HL sciences if you want to study science! Ab initio will be difficult if you're doing a completely new language since you'll be required to learn it in less than a year.
Hi everyone,

I currently need some help in deciding whether to do Eng Lit HL or SL. Some questions I would like to ask are:

Does Eng Lit HL have a lot more content/things to revise than SL?

How much easier is it to get a 6 or 7 for SL than it would be for HL?

Are HL exams marked a lot more harshly than SL?

If I took Eng Lit SL, what sort of subjects would I not be able to take at university?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Hey!

I will be choosing my IB subjects in around 3 months time (I'm in Year 11) and I'd like to pursue a career in the psychology field, hopefully turn out as a clinical psychologist. I really want to get into the oxbridge, or just a uni with a good psych course/ high ranking and reputation. The only subjects I'm certain I want to take is HL psychology and SL maths

And the remaining subjects I'm most likely going to take is an English course whether at lang/lit or lit, at SL or HL? Spanish B at SL or HL? Chemistry at SL or HL?

That leaves me with one subject left either to be taken at SL or HL depending on how I choose my subjects. My parents really want me to take biology but I honestly do not like biology and I struggle with it, but if I don't pick biology I have no other subjects I'm interested in taking...

By the way, is maths important for psychology? Do I really have to take SL Maths or would I be fine if I took maths studies?

Any help? Advice?

Thank you!! :smile:
Original post by iallhalocin
Looking at your HLs it would seem you can only go for courses such as English and History in uni... Many unis require 2 HL sciences if you want to study science! Ab initio will be difficult if you're doing a completely new language since you'll be required to learn it in less than a year.

I decided on going with SL French in the end..and SL chemistry. And while it's not HL would it still be accepted? Of course I can move to HL later on, I plan on it hopefully.

Is that a good set for something such as veterinary science?
Hi guys
I am trying to sort out my ib options and so far i have got:
Hl maths
Hl physics
Hl economic/chemistry
Sl english
Sl ab initio Italian
Sl economics/geography
As you can see my main dilemma is whether to do econ or chemistry at hl. I want to do either maths or physics at uni. I would prefer to do hl economics but for physics would doing chemistry be a better choice?
Thanks
I'm thinking of either :
HL history, Spanish B, global politics
SL maths studies, environmental systems and societies, English lit

Or if I can't do politics:
HL history, Spanish b, english lit
SL maths studies, environmental systems and societies, German/French ab initio

But I'm not sure how well regarded global politics is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Worrymuch
Hi guys
I am trying to sort out my ib options and so far i have got:
Hl maths
Hl physics
Hl economic/chemistry
Sl english
Sl ab initio Italian
Sl economics/geography
As you can see my main dilemma is whether to do econ or chemistry at hl. I want to do either maths or physics at uni. I would prefer to do hl economics but for physics would doing chemistry be a better choice?
Thanks

Taking higher chemistry really depends on your GCSE Grade, if you enjoy it and GCSE Exam Board. I did OCR Gateway Double Award in Science and got AA, I used to love chemistry but now I'm SO confused and we've literally just started lmao... I hope this helps but yeah good luck?
Original post by stepho99
Hi everyone,

I currently need some help in deciding whether to do Eng Lit HL or SL. Some questions I would like to ask are:

Does Eng Lit HL have a lot more content/things to revise than SL?

How much easier is it to get a 6 or 7 for SL than it would be for HL?

Are HL exams marked a lot more harshly than SL?

If I took Eng Lit SL, what sort of subjects would I not be able to take at university?

Thanks in advance :smile:

1 - Like all HL subjects there is more content than SL obviously, but you can certainly handle it. It's not a lot (unlike Math SL vs Maths HL).
2 - I can't really answer this question but from what I know of the markbands it is harder to get a 6/7 at HL.
3 - I can't think of any uni subjects, except for English, where Eng Lit HL is required. English Language and Literature, however, might help with applying for subjects like Law, if you do it at HL.

If I were you, the deciding factor would be what subject I would bring up to HL if I do Lit SL. English is basically a subject you do at HL if (a) you're really good at it and it can boost your overall marks (b) you have genuine interest in it
Any advice or insight about the courses i'm considering would be appreciated!

These are the subjects i'm considering currently:

HL
English Lit
Geography
Biology

SL
Chinese B (or Spanish ab initio if the teacher doesn't allow.)
Math
Film (Online)

I have no idea what I want to do in the future so my subjects are pretty random.

I am debating on wether or not to take the film online course as it's not a popular choice and there is no one I can talk to with past experience in this course as no one in the year above me has taken it before. So if you had taken it before, i would love some insight on the course.

I am also unsure of taking Bio HL, I would rather do a science subject at SL but I already have 3 standards and I need a science subject.

Thank you!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1515
Is this good for medicine:
Hl
Biology
Chemistry
Geography
Sl
French
English
Mths
Please advise me
Original post by ppjk
Is this good for medicine:
Hl
Biology
Chemistry
Geography
Sl
French
English
Mths
Please advise me

It should be fine!
Hi guys!

Is this an ok combination if i want to keep my options open?

i haven't the faintest what I'm going to do at uni and even less so as a job, but i am very interested in latin and biology. (i also like history a lot but i don't think i'd do it at uni).
i also speak 4 languages fluently (english, french, spanish and hungarian) which is why i'm not taking any modern foreign languages... i plan on participating in debates and societies in spanish and french so i will keep them up!

anyway here are my subjects:

HIGHER LEVEL:
-latin
-biology
-chemistry or physics (still haven't decided which one)

STANDARD LEVEL:
-english lit
-history
-maths

Any help much appreciated! <3
Hey guys, I have a few questions on some of the subjects in IB but first I thought I would tell you what I'm thinking of taking next year.

Higher level
Biology
Chemistry
Psychology

Standard level
Maths
English Lang/Lit
Spanish ab initio

1. Can anyone who has taken HL Psychology advise me on what to expect in exams? Is it similar to biology, with quite a lot of memorisation or is there a lot more to it?

2. Is there a big difference between taking English Lang/Lit and taking English Lit? Because I really don't know what to choose as they don't seem that different.

3. Is this a good combination for giving me a broad range of (medical-based) university/career options?
Original post by stefanie.ng
Hey!

I will be choosing my IB subjects in around 3 months time (I'm in Year 11) and I'd like to pursue a career in the psychology field, hopefully turn out as a clinical psychologist. I really want to get into the oxbridge, or just a uni with a good psych course/ high ranking and reputation. The only subjects I'm certain I want to take is HL psychology and SL maths

And the remaining subjects I'm most likely going to take is an English course whether at lang/lit or lit, at SL or HL? Spanish B at SL or HL? Chemistry at SL or HL?

That leaves me with one subject left either to be taken at SL or HL depending on how I choose my subjects. My parents really want me to take biology but I honestly do not like biology and I struggle with it, but if I don't pick biology I have no other subjects I'm interested in taking...

By the way, is maths important for psychology? Do I really have to take SL Maths or would I be fine if I took maths studies?

Any help? Advice?

Thank you!! :smile:

Hey there!

My sister took HL psychology and maths studies in IB and she's now studying psychology in university. However, you say that you want to get into Oxbridge, and I'm not sure about Oxbridge specifically, but I know that some universities do not recognise maths studies and therefore will not accept you. So I would double check to see if your university of choice accepts students who took maths studies.

Again, that being said my sister did get into a perfectly reasonable university by studying maths studies and HL psychology.

Lastly, I do want to mention that my sister did take HL biology as well, which may have helped her in taking psychology but I'm really not sure if it's necessary.

Hope I helped!

Latest

Trending

Trending