The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ra-ra-ra
I was reading the Non-League Paper earlier today and noticed the attendance of that game was 1024...Cracking effort!

Wont be our biggest gate of the season, but a thousand this early is a good start. We averaged over a thousand last season, including the two biggest attendances of the league. Onwards and up!
Great goals at Bristol Rovers and Newport County this weekend, too. The screamers seem to be flying in. Just a word on Coventry, too. They've scored nine league goals so far, and not one of them hasn't been worthy of a goal of the week contender in my opinion. Mowbray's doing a great job getting them free-flowing.
Original post by Tony_LeaS
Wont be our biggest gate of the season, but a thousand this early is a good start. We averaged over a thousand last season, including the two biggest attendances of the league. Onwards and up!

Last season was nothing but a misery for us so I'll be honest that I didn't buy much of the Non-League Paper or pay much attention to lower leagues around us. But this season we've managed to win 4 out of the first 5 matches, so I've become a fan of the paper again... for now anyway! But it is great to see attendances like this down the pyramid.
Original post by shawn_o1
wrong thread lol

**** sake.
League Cup round two fixtures. Pick of the bunch:

Aston Villa v Notts County
Crystal Palace v Shrewsbury Town
Hartlepool v Bournemouth
Sunderland v Exeter City
Bury v Leicester City
Rotherham United v Norwich City
Swansea City v York City
Newcastle United v Northampton Town
Luton Town v Stoke City
Preston North End v Watford
West Brom v Port Vale
Barnsley v Everton
5 in a row :jive:

Dreamland!
James Maddison ruled out for "a few months" for Coventry. Such a shame.
Original post by Mackay
James Maddison ruled out for "a few months" for Coventry. Such a shame.

Do you support Coventry?
Original post by The Wavefunction
Do you support Coventry?

Nah, but I'm a keen admirer from afar given the fact I grew up not far from there. I really hope Mowbray turns them around. I went to the Ricoh a few times during my adolescence with mates, because it was the nearest ground (apart from Sixfields and Kenilworth Road, which was hardly a desirable standard).
Original post by Tony_LeaS

Woah, wasnt expecting it to be that high. Always thought they averaged a few hundreds but thats amazing. Might pop down for a game as I live quite close and also see what its like in the lower leagues in terms of quality of football.
Luton Town did themselves justice last night, as did Notts County at Villa Park. An entertaining week of cup fixtures, but I'm looking forward to league action this weekend. Birmingham drawing Villa in the cup is huge for them, and Walsall are welcoming Chelsea so round three marks a good week for the Black Country/West Midlands sides.
Original post by Mackay
Luton Town did themselves justice last night, as did Notts County at Villa Park. An entertaining week of cup fixtures, but I'm looking forward to league action this weekend. Birmingham drawing Villa in the cup is huge for them, and Walsall are welcoming Chelsea so round three marks a good week for the Black Country/West Midlands sides.

Not forgetting Notts County who put 3 past Sunderland.

Sunderland could've really done with a good scoreline & a clean sheet. Their defence really is League 1/2 standard.
Original post by TornadoGR4

Sunderland could've really done with a good scoreline & a clean sheet. Their defence really is League 1/2 standard.

Exeter you meant?
Anyway if more tickets were booked for League Cup games then Birmingham, Villa and West Brom's games wouldn't have happened on the same night
Original post by shawn_o1
Exeter you meant?
Anyway if more tickets were booked for League Cup games then Birmingham, Villa and West Brom's games wouldn't have happened on the same night

I did mean Exeter, yeah
Original post by TornadoGR4

Exeter, mate. But, yeah. Dreadful defending for a couple of Sunderland's goals, though.
McGeady has found his level against Barnsley.
Two games in five days, and sadly two defeats.

The first of two games saw us face Staines Town at home, one of the first games against the relegated sides from the Conference South. With the current form we were hoping to win as Staines was struggling to get on their feet within the new league. Sadly though they seemed to show why they were a Conference South side very early on with providing attacks throughout the whole first half, and eventually taking the lead just after 15 minutes. We got ourselves level just at the stroke of half time, Ethan Pinnock with the goal. We hadn't looked promising but a goal was a good start to head forward.

Sadly though, that was all she wrote for our revival in the game. Staines came flying out of the blocks, attack after attack, and scored their second of the game. We didn't look promising much throughout the second half, and the game ended with some of us slightly frustrated at the lack of chances. First loss of the season, 2-1 to Staines. Dropping from 1st to 7th, however early still and many teams we are yet to play.

Leatherhead last night away, and a game with a bit of history. A few years ago, we played Leatherhead and were winning by two goals very late on in the game. During the massive celebrations of the second goal, the Dulwich fans sadly knocked over part of the wall separating the fans from the pitch and after massive protests from their manager, the game was postponed around the 83rd minute on safety grounds (although nobody was hurt and the wall was only four feet high).Rematch was needed, and they won 1-0. Funnily enough next year this made our fans turn up in builders hats and visors to wear, reminding them on the event. Because of this, a rivalry has been developed, so a good game was intended.

Start of the match, we were already looking like the side that played on Saturday against Staines, lacklustre and dull. Bad passing occurred often, and barely had a shot on target throughout the first half. Leatherhead took the lead and took a very Chelsea-esque style of play throughout the remainder of the match with very strong defending, albeit very good. Final score, 1-0 to Leatherhead. A above average attendance of 341, including a good 80 of us Dulwich for a midweek fixture.

The majority of the league are performing quite well, excluding the sides we all expected to struggle and Farnborough (who yet again are showing their arrogance). Two losses in five days, but we should be back stronger and better. Our draw for the FA Cup 1st Qualifying round (four rounds before the 1st "Proper" round) sends us to Hampton and Richmond Borough, very tough fixture but one of the better grounds within our league.

Quick Reply

Latest