The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York- Which college to choose?

Starting Electronic Engineering in September, which college should I pick? People say that they're all within walking distance from each other (Halifax is a little far) but what do most engineering students pick? I was swayed towards Goodricke...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WantLaw
Starting Electronic Engineering in September, which college should I pick? People say that they're all within walking distance from each other (Halifax is a little far) but what do most engineering students pick? I was swayed towards Goodricke...

Hey:smile: I ve moved this to our york university section for you:smile:
University of York
York
Personally I like Vanbrugh, it has great music facilities which I really like :smile: I guess it depends on what you like most, sports, music, social and also accommodation price
Reply 3
Original post by antigone-
Personally I like Vanbrugh, it has great music facilities which I really like :smile: I guess it depends on what you like most, sports, music, social and also accommodation price

I'm commuting so the accomodation aspect doesn't apply to me! I'd say i'm more sporty out of those, and wouldn't mind social meet-ups! Where would you recommend (bar Vanbrugh, which i'm also considering!)?
Original post by WantLaw
I'm commuting so the accomodation aspect doesn't apply to me! I'd say i'm more sporty out of those, and wouldn't mind social meet-ups! Where would you recommend (bar Vanbrugh, which i'm also considering!)?

Goodricke has good sports facilities and opportunities, and Halifax is also very sports focused. They all seem rather similar to me any way to be honest, you really have to look at them really closely!
Reply 5
Goodricke has good sports facilities and opportunities, and Halifax is also very sports focused. They all seem rather similar to me any way to be honest, you really have to look at them really closely!

Yeah haha that was my initial thoughts! I love the idea behind it, it's so old fashioned! What are you studying there?:smile:
Original post by WantLaw
Yeah haha that was my initial thoughts! I love the idea behind it, it's so old fashioned! What are you studying there?:smile:

Ha I haven't even applied yet, just had a look around and asked loads of questions on the open day :colondollar: Planning on applying for History and Politics though

Well done for getting in! What are you studying?

Edit: Awks just saw that you've already said :colondollar: Good luck choosing a college!
Reply 7
Ha I haven't even applied yet, just had a look around and asked loads of questions on the open day :colondollar: Planning on applying for History and Politics though

Well done for getting in! What are you studying?

Edit: Awks just saw that you've already said :colondollar: Good luck choosing a college!

Aha no worries, it's awesome that you've done your research early! I went through clearing to get my place so didn't get the chance to go to any open days at the start of the year so i'm pretty clueless when it comes to York and how the uni work! Good luck with your A2's :smile:

@University of York which college would you say most Electrical Engineering students choose?
Original post by WantLaw
Aha no worries, it's awesome that you've done your research early! I went through clearing to get my place so didn't get the chance to go to any open days at the start of the year so i'm pretty clueless when it comes to York and how the uni work! Good luck with your A2's :smile:

@University of York which college would you say most Electrical Engineering students choose?

Wow I didn't even know York did clearing! Eh could've been worse haha

Original post by WantLaw

Go for Vanbrugh as it has good facilities and is just over the lake from the Electronics department. James could also be a choice as again its close by.
I would give the others a miss particularly any that are on Hes East as the walking distance will eat up your time.
With the two I mention you can use the facilities and also go to the library keeping distances short.
Reply 10
Hi everyone,

I'm a french student and I've been accepted to study history at York. Which college would be the best according to what I study ? I seek a quiet atmosphere to work but also a place to enjoy myself and pratice sport. Is there any college like that ? Thanks !
Hey: ) I am Greek student and have an offer for Politics and International Relations. I am thinking of Derwent or maybe Vanbrugh.
I am keen on sports and music and I am sociable as well. What do politics students prefer?
Any opinion accepted: ) <3
Right, Callum and an I are going to be real with you. Hes East is a wasteland, you won't go to 9ams very often as it is well too far. Halifax is like half an hour away. The only good thing about James college is they are close the gym. Although Derwent has asbestos, the social life there is the best on campus.
Reply 13
He guys, which college would you recommend if im going to be studying accounting and finance? the department is on the east campus but i wanted to be in west as it is bigger and more to do? (unless im wrong!). where do the business students usually stay? any advice would be great!! also how close is vanbrugh (walking distance) to the department?
Original post by TSR121
He guys, which college would you recommend if im going to be studying accounting and finance? the department is on the east campus but i wanted to be in west as it is bigger and more to do? (unless im wrong!). where do the business students usually stay? any advice would be great!! also how close is vanbrugh (walking distance) to the department?

I wouldnt suggest living on hes east if your studying on hes east as then you end up never really leaving hes east.
I also would not recommend walking from vanbrugh to hes east (your department), no one really walks to hes east much as the bus is free and takes 5 minutes.Theres a stop very near vanbrugh and derwent.
My friend lives in derwent, and studies accounting and finance, it doesnt bother her at all to have to get the bus to hes east.
Unless you desperately want smarter acconomdation i wouldnt choose hes east. If any colleges there langwith is definitely the best and most popular.
theres no particluar place that each suject is located, everyone is scattered around so you dont really need to consider that.
Theres definitely alot more going on on hes west. Although the sports village is at hes east if you are particllary into sport (the one on hes west is basically just as good).
Original post by TSR121

Also, wouldnt say hes east is a wasteland at all. Very smart accomodation with alot of buildings around. Also, you only have to leave10/15 mins earlier than everyone else to get to lectures. Its also a rumour that derwent has aspestos.. I would say derwent, james and vanbrugh are the best colelges
Reply 16
Original post by LucyH321
Also, wouldnt say hes east is a wasteland at all. Very smart accomodation with alot of buildings around. Also, you only have to leave10/15 mins earlier than everyone else to get to lectures. Its also a rumour that derwent has aspestos.. I would say derwent, james and vanbrugh are the best colelges

Thanks so much, I think Vanbrugh and derwent are my top two
Reply 17
Original post by TSR121
Thanks so much, I think Vanbrugh and derwent are my top two

I'm currently in Derwent, and would definitely recommend! It's the most sociable college, with the layout of blocks allowing you to make far more friends! D-Bar is also consistently busy! Although Derwent accommodation may not be as pretty as others, rooms there are a lot bigger than any rooms I've seen elsewhere in the University! If you want a good social life, Derwent is the best option, with so many events on all the time! If you're also considering catered/not, I would recommend going catered, not just for the ease of meal times, but because it is one of the biggest opportunities for meeting new people!
Original post by naomi-s
I'm currently in Derwent, and would definitely recommend! It's the most sociable college, with the layout of blocks allowing you to make far more friends! D-Bar is also consistently busy! Although Derwent accommodation may not be as pretty as others, rooms there are a lot bigger than any rooms I've seen elsewhere in the University! If you want a good social life, Derwent is the best option, with so many events on all the time! If you're also considering catered/not, I would recommend going catered, not just for the ease of meal times, but because it is one of the biggest opportunities for meeting new people!

Hiya, I'm also applying for accommodation this May and I'm still not sure what my options will be! I'm not really really sociable, but I would like stuff to be going on if you know what I mean. Would you say it really matters what college you end up in? :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by WantLaw

I am currently a first year at York and I got my fifth choice in accommodation. Unless you are an international student you are very unlikely to get what you want. Plus once you start uni you start to like your college no matter what.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending