The Student Room Group

Durham foundation year medicine 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wallam
Congrats to everyone who has a place! :smile:

Just popped on here to mention a couple things, i'm an ex-Durham medic moving to Newcastle now as in my 3rd year.

Mezzino is pretty quiet compared to regular colleges so if that's what you are looking for its probably better to apply there. They usually have places but more accommodation has been built this year due to oversubscription last year so there should be something available. It takes about 15 minutes to walk to uni in the mornings and is situated pretty close to the centre of town, which makes it pretty easy for shopping. Car parking might be a problem however as it only has a small carpark underneath and I believe it costs somewhere in the region of £350-400 for a space for the year.

However mezzino is about twice as expensive as renting locally I paid somewhere around £120 for mezzino in my first year, compared to £62 a week (bills included) with a private landlord in the second year.

I wasn't a foundation student so I'm not really sure about progression percentages but I believe there was some sort of cut off for the end of year exams and anyone who got over that percentage made it through. I'm sure they will explain exactly how assessment works so try not to worry about it for now :smile:

If anyone has any specific questions feel free to message me and i'll try to answer them but i'll be starting clinical rotations shortly so not sure how much time i'll have in the future!

Hi thanks for the info.

I was wondering what Durhams intake is made up of. Is it a mix of mature students and school leavers?
Reply 261
Original post by kgee
Am in Stevo... But wait, ain't we suppose to be in the same college though considering we are on the same path?
Does anyone have any information about the progression percentage from the foundation?
That's another thing I have been thinking about today knowing any lower marks on the foundation will mean being withdrawn from the programme...
That will be a big kick in the eye :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi
I was a foundation student in 2012 so I may be able to help. If you are based at Durham City for your progression route then you will be transferred to a college in Durham, and not at Queens. Secondly, I couldn't tell you the percentages for the foundation year to progression as there are so many students and you never get know everyone. You need to pass the foundation modules to progress on to the degree programme which is part of the requisite to enter the chosen department. When I was there you had to pass at 50% in all modules otherwise you need to resit.

Hope that helps
Reply 262
Original post by Wallam
Congrats to everyone who has a place! :smile:

Just popped on here to mention a couple things, i'm an ex-Durham medic moving to Newcastle now as in my 3rd year.

Mezzino is pretty quiet compared to regular colleges so if that's what you are looking for its probably better to apply there. They usually have places but more accommodation has been built this year due to oversubscription last year so there should be something available. It takes about 15 minutes to walk to uni in the mornings and is situated pretty close to the centre of town, which makes it pretty easy for shopping. Car parking might be a problem however as it only has a small carpark underneath and I believe it costs somewhere in the region of £350-400 for a space for the year.

However mezzino is about twice as expensive as renting locally I paid somewhere around £120 for mezzino in my first year, compared to £62 a week (bills included) with a private landlord in the second year.

I wasn't a foundation student so I'm not really sure about progression percentages but I believe there was some sort of cut off for the end of year exams and anyone who got over that percentage made it through. I'm sure they will explain exactly how assessment works so try not to worry about it for now :smile:

If anyone has any specific questions feel free to message me and i'll try to answer them but i'll be starting clinical rotations shortly so not sure how much time i'll have in the future!

That's really expensive... I wanted to stay out but am scared about the whole experience of new place, environment and moving into a place for the first time you don't know anyone and the area..
Am now thinking about parking too as I have to take my car for sure :frown:
Hello. Does anyone know what the competition for this course has been like in previous years in terms of applicant to place ratio?
Reply 264
has anyone heard back from accommodation? ( I know that I've been assigned to John Snow college) but I remember filling in the accommodation preference form few months back but haven't heard anything
Original post by Tinatrust
Hi thanks for the info.

I was wondering what Durhams intake is made up of. Is it a mix of mature students and school leavers?

I'd say its a mix, I believe in my year of around 95 there are around 10-15 mature students.

Original post by kgee
That's really expensive... I wanted to stay out but am scared about the whole experience of new place, environment and moving into a place for the first time you don't know anyone and the area..
Am now thinking about parking too as I have to take my car for sure :frown:

It's difficult to comment without knowing your specific situation and as previously mentioned I wasn't a foundation student so i'm unsure of what the year entails but honestly you will meet a lot of people, especially medics regardless of living in Mezzino or not. Might be worth having a look on facebook groups to see if anyone has a space in a house where people have either failed or dropped out.

I never had any issues with parking when I was privately renting either. In terms of needing a car, I wouldn't say you need one for the course and its easy to walk to uni from halls. Taxis are really cheap and there are buses and trains as well but a car is convenient for placement and exploring the local area. Be warned however that its a pain to get a parking permit to park at the uni in the morning though as they are reluctant to give them out (given out on a needs basis and they look at each case separately). There are other free carparks near to campus that most students used if they couldn't get a permit.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ibby1997
I don't know much information about this course, how do you get an offer before doing your UKCAT?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 267

Basically you get offer before ukcat because the foundation year is year 0. But the first year needs a ukcat to start, so it's more like sitting ukcat for next year admission for the 5 year course.
Ahh okay, how competitive this course is do you rekon?
Reply 269
All medical courses are very competitive but I think if you don't go for it you will never know. I was told there were no limits on mature students it all depends on the quality of applicants per year. Best of luck

Basically you get offer before ukcat because the foundation year is year 0. But the first year needs a ukcat to start, so it's more like sitting ukcat for next year admission for the 5 year course.
Do you have to do the interview before you start year 0 or before year 1?
Also, do you just need to past the modules of year 0 and get a UKCAT score above the cut off in order to progress to year 1 ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mac496
All medical courses are very competitive but I think if you don't go for it you will never know. I was told there were no limits on mature students it all depends on the quality of applicants per year. Best of luck

Thank you :smile:

Also, do you just need to past the modules of year 0 and get a UKCAT score above the cut off in order to progress to year 1 ?
I've lived in Durham my whole life so if anyone has any questions about the actual city then ask me :smile:
Reply 274

You have to apply for the course first, and if you are successful and called for interview and get through, you are given a conditional offer based on what ever qualifications you are required to provide which definitely includes a ukcat (average score will be given)... So its similar to meeting the conditions of the offer before you start year 0. It's not just a foundation course, its admission to medicine but you definitely have to pass all your foundation modules at the pass mark before you can progress to year 1
Reply 275
Original post by LydiaGibson999
I've lived in Durham my whole life so if anyone has any questions about the actual city then ask me :smile:

Are you on the foundation course? How easily is it to get your bearings around the city.. Am coming from Portsmouth so seem too lost lol
Original post by kgee
Are you on the foundation course? How easily is it to get your bearings around the city.. Am coming from Portsmouth so seem too lost lol

No im not but I know the city like the back of my hand. Durham is a fairly small city. You can literally easily walk from one end to the other so you should be able to find your bearings in about a week. It isn't the best city for going out so if you're into that type of stuff then Durham is a bit crap but it's a really nice safe friendly city so don't worry about it. I love Durham :smile:
Reply 277
Original post by LydiaGibson999
No im not but I know the city like the back of my hand. Durham is a fairly small city. You can literally easily walk from one end to the other so you should be able to find your bearings in about a week. It isn't the best city for going out so if you're into that type of stuff then Durham is a bit crap but it's a really nice safe friendly city so don't worry about it. I love Durham :smile:

That's not so bad then.. How far are the main hospitals away from the university as am looking into taking up a part time job in the hospital?
Reply 278
Original post by kgee

To be fair the course is based at Queens Campus which is Stockton a good 30 mins drive from Durham itself. Stockton and Middlesbrough are essentially one big City separated by the River Tees.
Middlesbrough is better for shopping and for a night out. Yarm is also good for a night out. The stunning North Yorkshire Moors are also on the doorstep.
Original post by kgee
That's not so bad then.. How far are the main hospitals away from the university as am looking into taking up a part time job in the hospital?

There is only one hospital which is about a 7-8 minute walk from the city centre.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending