The Student Room Group

I am so scared I won't get a place at uni with the A levels in doing

I am staring sixth form college next week and I'm so so worried I'm not doing the right A levels to get a place at uni I want to do a physiotherapy degree, and I'm not to bothered on going to the top university's just somewhere good but I know a lot of universities want biology but I'm not doing biology I'm doing phycology pe and sociology a levels but I'm not sure these will be enough to get me to universities I didn't do to well in my GCSEs I passed everything apart from getting a D in English which I'm retaking and I'm going to work so so hard to try and achieve good grades so will I still be able to go to uni?
Thanks for your help😊

Scroll to see replies

What's your reasoning for not doing biology? You're doing three non traditional subjects so I'd think about changing one to biology if I were you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
i can't do biology because I didn't get a b in maths:frown:
Reply 3
What do you think I should do?
Original post by Charlotte_a
I am staring sixth form college next week and I'm so so worried I'm not doing the right A levels to get a place at uni I want to do a physiotherapy degree, and I'm not to bothered on going to the top university's just somewhere good but I know a lot of universities want biology but I'm not doing biology I'm doing phycology pe and sociology a levels but I'm not sure these will be enough to get me to universities I didn't do to well in my GCSEs I passed everything apart from getting a D in English which I'm retaking and I'm going to work so so hard to try and achieve good grades so will I still be able to go to uni?
Thanks for your help😊

Only quickly looked at a few unis (using the UCAS course search) - they all require a decent A level grade in EITHER biology or PE so you should be fine.
Reply 5
Yay okay thankyou:smile: I might do geography instead of sociology as georgraphys a traditional subject
Yay okay thankyou:smile: I might do geography instead of sociology as georgraphys a traditional subject

nothing wrong with sociology - I do an NHS related course and did sociology and psychology lol - I did have English and RS too though which are deemed traditional subjects (cant stand all this "soft" subjects nonsense).

Before you make your mind up have a look at a few uni websites - if you find the course on their subject search it will set out all their subject requirements. It seems the safest way to make up your mind by checking out the unis you would be interested in applying to.

Good luck
Reply 7
Okay thankyou:smile: are sociology and phycology hard??
Okay thankyou:smile: are sociology and phycology hard??

I didn't find them hard but I enjoyed them both so much so that might be why. There is a lot to remember but I found that they complimented each other - lots of similar theories. Did psychology at GCSE but had never done sociology before I took it in college.

Also be warned that you will be in for a long application process for your uni choices - you will have to attend interviews and are unlikely to just get immediate offers for the course you have chosen. When I was in one of my interviews my mum was talking to other parents who had taken their children to physio interviews on the same day! The application period can be a very frustrating time - not wanting to put you off but its best to be warned what's coming.
Reply 9
i can't do biology because I didn't get a b in maths:frown:

What!!! there is no maths in biology.
Ok swap sociology for geography then because you really need to have a traditional academic subject in there. Although guess it depends on whether you're looking to apply to RGs or mets
Original post by mizzsnazzter
Ok swap sociology for geography then because you really need to have a traditional academic subject in there. Although guess it depends on whether you're looking to apply to RGs or mets

She wants to do physiotherapy so its not quite the same as a "normal" degree and a lot of mets run these courses rather than RG unis. The standard reply of avoiding what some term "soft" subjects may not really apply.
Hey!

Done some research for you, found the nhs careers website and got you a list of unis,

Haven't checked which particular ones allow on biology, Will do!

😉
http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/courses/?area=49991&qualification=50035&hours=&uni=&region=&DoSearch=Find+courses
oh wait, found one! 😉

Birmingham uni wants AAB, this may sound unrealistic, but at least it only wants an A in PE. OR. biology, so you can still get in without biology!

Find more info on the previous post of mine above!

Hope it helps! 👌
Reply 14
I would look for other school that would take you to do biology. Yes, this means changing school.
Thanks for your help😊

what where your GCSE's like young manlet?
Best thing is to find out which unis will let you do physiotherapy with pe instead of biology. I'm assuming you got a C in maths? Are there any other 6th forms or colleges within travelling distance that would let you do biology?
Original post by Chem_eng
What!!! there is no maths in biology.

I did AQA Biology and there's a Statistics element to units 4 and 6 - so there's a little bit of Maths. Still, I've never heard of any other college asking for a specific Maths grade to study Biology!
Original post by LeFailFish
I did AQA Biology and there's a Statistics element to units 4 and 6 - so there's a little bit of Maths. Still, I've never heard of any other college asking for a specific Maths grade to study Biology!

I did ocr so the only maths i have seen is multiplication, mean and percentages.
Original post by Chem_eng
I did ocr so the only maths i have seen is multiplication, mean and percentages.

That's all that there is at AS on AQA, so it does seem strange to not let the OP even take it as an AS! But I guess individual colleges all have different policies.

Quick Reply

Latest